Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Do we know why they dropped the daily deal model a year or two ago? I miss the excitement of logging in and impulse buying games I had no interest in yesterday because they're 75% off for a day instead of 20% off for 2 weeks with full price DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

PlushCow posted:

Because the introduction of refunds make the daily deals a nightmare to deal with.

Buy Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, great Assassin's Creed, great pirate game.

Srice posted:

Refunds being implemented, but sales also went up by a significant margin when they removed the daily deals. Turns out that it's better to let people buy what they want without having to worry if it will be cheaper on some other day. It stops impulsive purchases if you have to constantly think "But what if this becomes a daily deal/flash sale?".

Ohhh, I didn't make the connection to refunds. Thanks.

I'm surprised sales went way up though, because it really does seem like the discounts are tangibly worse. Of course the "wait for a daily" thing was the rational approach, but since when do we expect that from customers?

For my part, I remember impulse buying a bunch of random poo poo in genres I never play like LA Noire and Assassin's Creed because they were suddenly $5, less than a year after release. I don't think I've bought anything in the last few sales.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Burning Rain posted:

My slightly obscure steam sale recommendation is Gremlins, Inc.. It's a digital board game, yes, but it's not based on a tabletop analogue, which allows it to have more moving parts than most board games. It's relatively casual, with lots of ways to screw your opponents - or for your opponents to screw you -, but the top players are hovering around 60% win rate for 4-player matches, so skill definitely trumps luck despite the complaints in reviews. The DLC is purely cosmetic, as is the item shop. There's no grind whatsover. The play time for a match usually is around an hour, finding opponents takes 2-5 minutes, AI is actually quite decent, especially for newcomers. It's also really well balanced now after a lot of post-release support.

I have like 70 hours on it already, and it's probably is my GOTY, so ask away if you want any info about it - the more players the better as for any primarily online game.

Holy poo poo, yes. This game undeservedly flew completely below the radar, and I still play it a few times a week.

It's a move-around-the-board game like Candyland or Sorry, but with a ton of strategic, skill-based play with an emphasis on planning and risk mitigation.

Despite it not selling spectacularly, the developer has done a ton of post-release support including: new cards on a monthly basis, unique powers for all of the characters, and frequent (intelligent) balance tweaks. Also a bunch of purely-cosmetic DLC.

The game also has an awesome theme, cool artwork, and great music.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

This War Of Mine: Ughhh. It's a brutal, unflinching survival game about being a civilian stuck in a Call of Duty game. There's DLC to let you donate to war orphans. $4

I loved the idea of this one and found the execution disappointing, mostly because of the balance. It's a crafting/survival game where killing and thieving is a huge accelerator for you. The game counts on you not doing this early by making attacking/stealing from armed characters very dangerous, and doing it to unarmed characters makes your people (at least the moral ones) depressed, inefficient, and prone to suicide.

This sounds fine on paper. The problem is that the former is not hard to game, and as soon as you get your hands on a decent gun (by getting the drop on a soldier), nothing is any threat any more and you can murder your way into a flood of resources. By like 60% of the way through the game, I had built everything possible and had piles of assault rifles, flak jackets, distilled water, medicine, etc., leaving me to just run out the clock with nothing to do.

This was with the moral starting characters too- it's probably even faster if you play with the amoral ones that can prey on civilians without consequence.

This was a year and a half ago, so it might have gotten better with patches and it might be better if you set an arbitrary no murder rule for yourself.

Bolivar posted:

Are players still pissed at X-com 2 or have patches solved some of the issues?

I haven't played it, but according to my friend the issues were with the core game mechanics and almost everything they changed from the 2012 game's formula. I think he still liked it overall, but felt like it was a tangible step backwards.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

SilverMike posted:

XCOM 2 is a good game. You just have to be willing to not play the game bounding up in continual overwatch coverage because the turn limits on various objectives won't allow it.

Ok, well now you're selling it to me. gently caress that friend.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

betamax hipster posted:

The secret is the most vocal people who didn't like the mechanic changes just really hated having to take any risk ever.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It speaks to me especially, because my only minor disappointments with Xcom 2012 were:
-The linearity of world events compared to the original
-The 'activating pod' system of enemies basically making take 2 steps->overwatch->end turn correct always.

I know that they tried to address the second one in EW with Meld, but it didn't really do the trick. Maybe hard timers are better.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I picked up Sunless Sea on a whim and holy poo poo this game is awesome. I passed on it when it released because it seemed to be getting "meh" reviews.

Any takes on the DLC?

Eela6 posted:

Invisible, Inc. is 70% off right now and one of the best-designed games I have ever played. It manages to nail 'cyberpunk espionage' better than any game i have ever played. If you like turn-based tactics, stealth games, or have just read Neuromancer, I highly recommend buying it.

Slick, stylish, fun, and highly replayable. 2015 GOTY for me.

Eela6 posted:

It's the latter, I suppose. It's great DLC, but for your first couple runs you'd probably want to have it turned off anyways so you can get to grips with the core mechanics of the game.

Give the base game a shot and see how you feel.

The DLC doesn't add anything super-critical, just additional variety and slightly lengthens the campaign.

You could certainly skip it, but it's also <2$.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's been sitting on my list for ages because it looks interesting but I still don't really get what it is or how it plays. Tell me more.

(Sunless Sea)

My first captain was a natural philosopher seeking the secrets of the underworld. In 30 minutes of bad decisions on his second expedition, he got cursed by 2 different gods, gouged his own eye out in a fit of madness, and slaughtered half of his mutinous crew. Beleaguered, starving, and running on fumes, his wretched ship and crew limped back towards London but were sunk by an irate jellyfish.

It plays sort of like FTL, if FTL was set in a Victorian London that's sunk into an oceanic underworld of endless night, Lovecraftian terrors of the deep, and general weirdness. It has a mix of light RPG elements, open-ended exploration, real-time combat, and choose your own adventure style events.

I'm not far into it and don't know what the complaints were, so it might totally suck if I play longer, but so far it's really fun and well-written.

I also picked up Party Hard, which is lackluster. It's a cute idea but very repetitive, and it makes that mistake of having Hotline Miami-like difficulty with levels that are 10 minutes long instead of 2.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 27, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

nerdz posted:

Should I get Don't Starve or Dungeon of the Endless?

They're both good, but I preferred Dungeon.

Don't Starve is a crafting survival game with a unique setting and a really cool take on sanity. Being near anything scary, weird, or just dehumanizing (like getting soaked by rain or eating raw food) slowly drains your sanity. Doing 'civilized' stuff (making tools, eating cooked meals, shaving) boosts your sanity.

If your sanity drops too low, some of the fauna turns more evil and you start seeing creeping shadow monsters at the edges of the screen. If it gets low enough, they start solidifying and attacking you.

If you're going to play it, look up a basic guide first. I got annoyed, because it has (somewhat) final death and it's very easy to die instantly to stuff hours into the game that you don't know about in advance.

Dungeon is a very cool roguelike dungeon crawler. It has a great mix of planning defenses, risk management, and tactical decisions. Also very replayable due to a huge range of diverse characters.

My only complaint about it was that on later floors, it was possible to get totally hosed over by the RNG. This might have been fixed though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Palpek posted:

I'd like to talk about another gem that flew under people's radar - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments.

That actually sounds very cool. I liked the idea of LA Noire, but the way it railroaded you through the investigations really ruined it.

The funny thing about it was that sometimes the script had no backup plan if you totally botched interrogations, so your character would just schizophrenically pull the right information from thin air.

Player Character: "Miss, where is your husband?"
Wife: "He's grocery shopping."
<believe>
Player Character: "Come on partner, let's go break up this underground street racing ring."

...What?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

Seconding this. I liked Don't Starve, but I think it suffers for its roguelite elements whereas Dungeon benefits from them.

That's a great way of putting it.

703 posted:

I'm gonna have to say not to do this one part, at least until you have died 5-10 times... and even then, just read enough to get you comfortable with whatever it is that is killing you first. You can ignore this advice for recipes once you get a crockpot Figuring everything out is half the fun IMO.

I went into Don't Starve with exactly this attitude.

My problem with it became:
-Playing the first 30 minutes of a survival game over and over and over gets tedious way faster than something like FTL or Dungeon of the Endless.
-Many of the learning experiences in the game are abrupt and unsalvageable, even hours in. The first time I reached winter, I froze to death in seconds because my preparation checklist was not the game's preparation checklist.

I wasn't advocating spoiling everything for yourself, but someone's probably written a basic, general FYI that can avert the more annoying deaths by ignorance.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

Could you get more specific on those tips?

It's been a while, but off the top:
-The really speedy character in the starting lineup is terrible. No idea why she's a starting character.

-Abilities that generate Dust or stall monsters are both extremely valuable.

-When you lose, it's usually because you started falling behind on character levels, resources, or tech multiple floors ago.

-A lot of people miss that you can refresh the cooldown on abilities by spending science on their character sheet.

-Dust becomes brutally scarce in the last ~2 levels. You need some combination of: Hero +Dust abilities, the Shop Module with a Merchant (generates Dust every door), Emergency Generator, and not getting totally hosed over by the RNG not giving you any Dust or powered rooms for the first 8 doors you open and spamming giant crystal monsters at you jesus loving christ I'm ruined.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Discounts are probably shittier because the insane explosion in early access and greenlight means putting your game on sale for a nickel isn't going to reach literally everyone like it did back in the day. There's just too much poo poo to see and eyeballs are too directed by algorithms to sort through the giant piles of poo poo. As such, you're gonna reach maybe the people who are your target audience -- the people you can sell a game to for 30% off. You're not reaching crowds so insanely big that you can sell at insane discounts.

I don't buy the "you already own everything" arguments because stuff that was on sale for incredibly cheap prices costs more now than it did several years ago. Skyrim came out loving 5 years ago and it's $20, or $30 for better shaders. That poo poo has been on sale for $5 on Steam years ago. loving Oblivion is selling for twice that. Arkham Asylum is selling for the same sale price I got it at 7 years ago.

I noticed this too. It would be interesting to see a storewide direct comparison.

I suspect that the main difference though is simply that they're only allowed 1 sale price for the duration. Having the spigot open to -75%+ for 2 weeks straight means way more 'loss' than 48 hours (or 8 hours in 2011-2012) and probably way less burst of excitement.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

beef express posted:

Haha, yeah the alien doesn't see through windows, which you can definitely use to your advantage later on.

Actually, I haven't touched any of the lore besides (some of) the movies, but do we even know if the aliens have light-based vision? They don't have visible eyes and they hang out in a lot of dark vents and corners.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Sunless Sea lets you pass on an inheritance (your choice of a few options) to your next run after you get driven insane and eaten by a mutant eel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

We have no idea whether it includes refunds or not, for one. But I wouldn't be surprised in the least because game consumers have stopped making sense to me long ago.

It could be worse. They could have invested 9 billion dollars into a medical technology promised by a college dropout who didn't present a single shred of peer-reviewed data to back her extraordinary claims while doing 2 years of TED talks and Colbert Report interviews.

• Locked thread