Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Subnautica for :10bux:, hell yes. I might get more later - my wishlist is huge - but Pokemon Sun arrived so I'm going to be busy playing and I don't want to commit to anything more yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Han Nehi posted:

Subnautica looks cool, but how "early access" is it? Does it feel at least mostly like a finished game?

Here is the official dev roadmap through development - you can see what they're adding/messing with and when 1.0 is planned.

From my twenty minutes of play so far, it feels good! The starting area is neat to swim around in, and I've backed away hastily from some of the weirder fishes. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Haul from the xmas sale so far:

Subnautica

+ three gifted to me by a dear friend
Seraph
Dex
Killer is Dead

Depending on how my budget works out I'll likely go for The House in Fata Morgana, Patterna, Death Road to Canada, and maaaybe the Silver Case or others from my wishlist, but even if I stop here I'm very, very happy. :toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Ok, I'll also ask what should I maybe trim from this list. I added some notes:

The Beginner's Guide - I enjoyed Stanley's Parable
Grim Dawn - I'm a sucker for arpgs

Commenting on the only two I can: Beginner's Guide is not funny, takes 90~ minutes at most, and is interesting. I'd rec it for a dollar, not for anything more than that.

Grim Dawn - is a good arpg, from the perspective of a casual arpg player who decided to go play Titan Quest first to completion (still working on it!) because a roadtrip through Greece and beyond is cool, and then I'll appreciate all of the quality of life updates in Grim Dawn more.

Also Grim Dawn really, really feels like Diablo 2 in terms of atmosphere and music. It's cool!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Added you on Steam, hopping on the gift train in just a few minutes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

OK I wanna tackle my backlog.

What from this is the shortest 2-3 games. HowLongToBeat's interface is atrocious and they don't let you sync to Steam.

e: ignore speedrunners, it's MP, shouldn't be on the backlog list

Go finish SpaceChem! :unsmigghh:

(for serious though go finish Shadowrun Returns. It's relatively short, has a snappy little campaign, and is fun. It's not the party-based Persona 4 knock-off that Dragonfall is, but it has its own charm and I enjoyed it!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

Think I'm going with this. I've wanted Wolfenstein for a long while, Hyper Light Drifter is in lieu of getting Furi because Zelda > DMC, Trillion seems good nonsense and big discount, and the other two are $2 and seem interesting.

I kind of feel like Steam sales for me have become an attempt to avoid what is in the upcoming Humble Monthly.

I watched a review for Trillion, and it looks like boring nonsense - lots and lots of grinding, bland combat, and only two boss monsters in the game. Please don't spend 9$ on it without looking more into it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Come on, I still have games left over.

Xander gifted me Lovely Planet Arcade, which through intent or luck has been a great fit for me - this is a cute, simple FPS game where you go through small levels finding the enemies and shooting them before they shoot you. It's cute, it's quick and casual, and best of all you can't look up or down so it doesn't mess with my motion sickness. There also seems to be a decent amount of content - at least thirty levels in the first act, and there have been kinks thrown into the mix - friendlies you shouldn't shoot, areas of the ground that will kill you, and so on.

It's cute, it's clever, and it's only 1.49$ right now if you want to try it yourself! :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Steam Thread Night Crew! Have some decent hidden object games for being up late on a holiday:

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink
DRNQ9-44PCJ-3FYW*
that star up there is a 7.

A yoink, and thank you - Merry Christmas!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, who wants a Spec Ops: The Line code?

JH589-*A5V0-0W&&X

* is M and & is 6

Yoinked this one, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I want to pick up some indie games but haven't really kept up this year. What are the best indie games of 2016?

Brigador, a fantastic isometric mech simulator with a kickin' rad soundtrack!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Zetsu recommend me some anime games again. Price doesnt matter. I need something to combat my depressing Christmas and anime is surely the cure. I have all the Neps (and all the bad CH/IF games), all the Final Fantasy games, and anything by NIS already. Thanks to your recommendations last year I also ended up with Akibas Trip, Long Live the Queen, Grandia II, Recettear, and Tales of Zestiria.

I'm not Zetsu, but LiEat is a short and adorable anime adventure - you're a dragon who eats lies and (might) steal candy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any Tower Defense games? I've been in a weird mood for playing them lately and the Sanctum games never did anything for me.

Immortal Defense is the most interesting one on Steam, with an actually good plot and neat mechanics. It's my favorite out of the lot of them, and you can adjust the difficulty a lot. You can guide bullets with your cursor, amongst other neat mechanics.

Dungeon Warfare is far more traditional but lots of fun - line the walls with traps, shove heroes into pits, etc etc.

Gemcraft has an interesting central mechanic and ooooodles of levels, so it's great for podcasts.

And then there's the Defense Grid series, which has a decentish plot and you build mazes out of your towers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Someone push me one way or the other on The Sea Will Claim Everything

The writing is incredible, the music is even better, and it's basically a chill novel you read while admiring the whimsical graphics.

If you want to try it out before buying it, play one of the games by the same author/artist duo in the same style: The Book of Living Magic. This game made me cry, but in a good way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shadow Warrior is most likely to get cut. Followed by Witcher 3 (despite all the praise, I find myself surprisingly apathetic towards it, in fact its only here because people gush about it so much). Honestly I've got reasons to cut them all. Maybe I should and just be fiscally responsible. :v:

Do you really want to spend 30$ on something you don't really care about? Especially if it's going to take a large time investment...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My turn for a list: I'm definitely getting Death Road to Canada and Ori and the Blind Forest in a few days, but I'm unsure about anything else on my list. The House in Fata Morgana/The Silver Case are definitely yeses, but I'm not sure if I want to dig into long visual novels at the mo, so I'll probably save them for later...

Which leaves things like:
Oneshot
Pankapu
Soulcaster I+II
Escape Goat 2
Stray Cat Crossing
Why Am I Dead At Sea?
Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire.

Any opinions on any of those? I'm wary of "why am I dead at sea" due to how the dev has completely abandoned it - no more bugfixes, and it seems buggy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any good bang for your buck recommendations? I was thinking something in the vein of RPGs/strategy/roguelikes and about 5~10 dollars on price.

LiEat is 2$, short, and cute.

Shadowrun RPG bundle - 2$ for three good rpgs, including Dragonfall. The best value here.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. 10$, long, wordy, a charming jrpg.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry for the double-post, bringing in an effortpost on Roguelikes. The prices are all accurate, haha!

Roguelikes

Bionic Dues is down to 2.29$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$ and that's as cheap as it's getting. Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 3.74$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do. I also hear there's an expansion pack in the works!

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times.

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 1.74$ (Add Plus edition for 1.94$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.81$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 3.49$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.99$

Spelunky is 2.99$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

The absolute best things on this list are Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ilmucche posted:

This is a true statement, but didn't DoomRL get ripped and torn by bethesda?

Zenimax did make them change the name, but :toot: it's still up! DoomRL for all of your ripping and tearing needs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I adore, adore Seraph - I've put 86 minutes into it so far, and combat feels good to me. However! Be aware that the levels are mostly the same, and while there is a plot, most of the time you're going to run through procedurally generated levels fighting similar enemies - I'm enjoying it, but be warned that it could get tedious depending on your tolerance for the core gameplay.

I'd still rec it though, as it's fun!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rirse posted:

So how does Glittergrove Grove compare to gold standard fairy game on Steam, Farie Solitude?

It's a little more complex.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, launched Witcher 3.

:stare: gently caress me. This game is pretty.

Yes, yes it is. :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

Need help paring down my list, these games are too drat expensive edition.

From what I can tell I would love the poo poo out of all of these. Need to get below $50ish, so like, I guess down to 3.

Leaning towards Batman, SUPERHOT, and Sherlock Holmes. I unno. These games are too drat expensive. Maybe just buy Sherlock and wait for the others to fall more.

Twenty four dollars for a puzzle game seems like a lot - are you absolutely certain Steven's Sausage Roll is a game you'll get that much enjoyment out of?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

his previous game (English Country Tune) was incredibly cheap. I guess he's trying something different this time around.

I just played some ECT. They're very similar in terms of puzzle mechanics. It's a good game but yeah my brain isn't good enough at navigating space puzzles to justify paying for the sausage roll.

e: posting a cart list to see if there are any games people have thoughts about

ASDAD: All-Stars Dungeons and Diamonds
The Floor is Jelly
Twilight Struggle
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
Pinball FX2 - Portal ®
GAMES by Anatoliy Loginovskikh - Includes 3 items: The Last Error, The Magical Silence, The Big Elk
KNIGHTS
Immortal Defense
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians

KNIGHTS feels frustratingly simple as a puzzle game - you always put the knights in their spots and sort out the stragglers. Pass unless you want a simple puzzler.

Immortal Defense meanwhile is my favorite tower defense and 100% worth it. Story's great, gameplay is fun, the medal challenges are fun (except for Love 3 but I'll crack it eventually.) Please treat yourself to it!

I admit part of the appeal of ID's gameplay is how you have to be involved - you set towers, and sometimes it's hands off but most of the time you have to guide bullets or wreck enemies yourself.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Asking for a friend: Cities Skylines, yea or nay?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I have a copy of Skylines that I'd trade for something off my wishlist if you can help a goon out

Is it the deluxe version or just the base game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Relin posted:

what are some good roguelites that have a permanent aspect to them. i have isaac, rogue legacy, and darkest dungeon

Dungeonmans! You spend the entire game upgrading your academ.....wait, you said roguelites.

Uh.

Deathstate? Twin stick shooter, based more on dodging, you unlock... unlockables as you play. It's cool!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, shoot: assuming I don't go full hog on Civ V's expansions/DLC, what's the key ones I want? I have the base game and it sunk its hook into me for at least an hour and now I want a better experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

El Generico posted:

Gods and Kings and Brave New World will give you huge gameplay improvements and new features. Those two are both essential and totally worth it. Babylon, Spain & Inca, Polynesia, Denmark, the Mongols, and Korea are Civs available as DLC, which may or may not interest you.

Furnaceface posted:

Gods & Kings and Brave New World are the 2 expansions and worth picking up for what they add and fix. Everything else is map packs and new cultures to play as (which you can probably find on the Workshop for free anyway).

Perfect, thank you both!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pigeotic posted:

So I've been playing a bunch of puzzle games during this sale, I'm almost done with Tri: Of Friendship and Madness so I'm looking for my next fix, fortunately my queues are nothing but puzzle games now because that's how steam works I guess, anyone have thoughts or feelings about A Story About My Uncle or Rememoried (both came up in my queue and looked interesting)? I was also recommended Infinifactory and A Good Snowman is Hard to Build here in this thread but I'm sort of digging the first person POV games where I have a strange gimmick machine that enables me to solve the puzzles and also doesn't require me to pay attention the the 'story' in any capacity and those games look more sandboxy? I dunno I'm still on the fence.

I was also looking at The Room but that's more like point and click adventure than puzzle innit ?

Infinifactory gives you minimal story: you have been captured by aliens. Design production lines for them. You then proceed to be dropped into every puzzle and you poke around trying to solve it, and it's mindbending and brilliant. It's Sandbox-y due to how you can find multiple ways to solve a puzzle and optimize it if you want.

Also, have you played Talos Principle, the Swapper, Portal 1/2, Antichamber, Gateways, or the Quell series?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, possibly my last purchase of the sale:

Death Road to Canada
The Silver Case
Pankapu
Civ V Expansion Packs Bundle

Any reason to pass on any of these? I'm particularly looking for opinions on the Silver Case, if anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I flinched on Death Road to Canada due to how repetitive it seems to be from checking videos of it on youtube.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

What are some good sub $20 gems from this year I may have missed? Mostly looking shorter, narrative based stuff.

Dunno about short yet, but I picked up The Silver Case and it's really weird/neat! It's a visual novel/adventure game from the 90s and I'm not even sure how to describe it yet. Have a look!

As for things I can actually rec -

Analogue: A Hate Story. - Visual novel mostly spent reading emails and piecing together the story of how/why this sci-fi generation ship is empty and lootable. It's...quite a sad story, and good! Has a sequel, but I haven't played it and works well on its own.

Blackwell series. A buck for the first one, four dollars for more, not sure how much for the finale. Give 'em a go! They're good-to-decent adventure games from Wadjet.

Hatoful Boyfriend - date pigeons for less than three bucks. Actually has a fairly intriguing plot going on.

Last Door - weird spooky adventure game, 2.49$ for the first one.

Mentioning Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Longest Journey, but neither one is short. Both are good though!

Ossuary - explore a surreal place and learn about Discordianism for five bucks!

The Sea Will Claim Everything - not short, REALLY good. If you're not sure about it, play the free sidestory/prequel (kind of!) in your browser.

Waking Mars - has more gameplay, but it's a relatively short metroidvania (kind of) where you help Martian plants grow and try to discover the mysteries of Mars. Is one of the rare games that's well-written, thoughtful, fun to play, and pretty. I really liked it a lot. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is crazy beautiful and good so far. If you like metroidvanias in the slightest, get it.

I'll also anti-rec Elite: Dangerous for being fairly fiddly and unengaging - I tried it last year and refunded it, so... good luck with whatever you purchase, and enjoy it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ularg posted:

Doom will always come up higher on my list, there's always next sale to grab Watch Dogs 2 and it can only get cheaper from here.

That's Doom pinball, not Doom.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I waffled on Death Road to Canada, then finally gave in and picked it up - and my goodness, is the game good. Have a story:

I met a Magical Girl on the way to Canada, and figured - why not? She was a great party member: powerful, used magic to beat up zombies, was good at climbing trees to scout the area - except that she got more anime by the day.

But not just any kind of anime, no: the bad kind.

So we made it to an infested city, worried by our new eldritch magical girl - but the only way through the city was through the sewers, so we decided to leg it, and - well.

She got so anime she exploded and took out Angela along with some other zombies.

Which, uh. Great. Carlos and Lotte braved on - until Lotte got caught in a group of zombies and died, and Carlos took a wrong turn and got cornered.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Happy new year everyone! I have keys for some games I already have so have at them! Claim em or whatever and I'll PM you or something. (note: i'm not sure WHY i have these dupe keys? I dunno if Humble Bundle gave me dupe keys by accident or if I really did just buy a lot of bundles with overlapping games this past year, so hopefully the gift links work when you get them!)

Snakebird

I don't have PMs, will a steam id do instead? https://steamcommunity.com/id/zekkass/

I didn't get the bundle with snakebird in it last year and I've been regretting it ever since. :shobon:

e: Thanks!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EightDeer posted:

Looking for thoughts on a second load of games from the sale:

Brigador
Disgaea
ICEY
Metal Slug
Princess Remedy In A Heap of Trouble

Are all of these worth playing?

Brigador: Hell yes. It's the best isometric mech simulator you'll ever find. Game plays as a neat combo between being fast and powerful - but also being super fragile. You have to be slow and methodical and careful, or else you will get swarmed and die. It has a ton of content - missions with different loadouts so you can try puzzle-box type approaches to levels, then freelance where you pick your own loadout and assault different maps, trying to escape alive (and with a lot of cash.)

The one problem with it is that the controls are very hit or miss - they added in a twin-stick shooter style control scheme, but original is best - and I'll admit that took me a few hours to get the hang of. It becomes natural after that, but you have to work at it.

And it has one of the best soundtracks I've had the pleasure of listening to in recent years. Please enjoy it!

Disgaea: Charmingly anime srpg - I'd rec this game, but be patient as it involves some grinding, and the gameplay is about learning how to break it wide open so you can become unfairly strong in all circumstances. The story mode is beatable without hours and hours of tedium, but those post-game things.....hoo boy. On the other hand, Phantom Brave is also on Steam, and has more creative mechanics and a better story, so pick whatever seems more appealing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nichael posted:

I get that this is late to ask but how good is FFX's story, characters, and setting? Is it good for JRPGs/anime, or legitimately good? For reference my favorite western RPGs are Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and my favorite JRPG is The World Ends With You.

It's legitimately good. It's half pilgrimage/roadtrip, half tragedy, and thanks to Tidus there's this interestingly jarring element as he's the literal fish out of water barging in on this sacred mission.

...Er, the story in a nutshell: Tidus the blitzball star gets thrown forward in time thanks to magical bullshit, so he tags along with Yuna and pals as she goes on a quest to save the world. Cue Tidus trying to befriend everyone while trying to figure out what this quest is about.

It's got interesting characters, an interesting world, and I quite liked the gameplay - some of the best in the FF series, in my opinion. The voice acting is, uh, decent at best, and it's clearly a PS2 game, but still - give it a shot. And for the love of god, don't get hung up on the sidequests. Those are the weak point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endless Legend: are the expansion packs crucial to enjoying the game the same way the Civ V expansion parks are, or would the base game be enough for me to dive in and have a good time?

(or should I just put Endless Legend back on the wishlist and get back to Civ V?)

• Locked thread