Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I'm itching for some more side scrolling / metroidvania kind of goodness. I apparently have a lot of them identified on my wishlist, so I thought I'd check in to see some opinions on:

Shovel Knight
Axiom Verge
Headlander
Shadow Complex Remastered
Ori and the Blind Forest
Strider
Apotheon
Salt and Sanctuary

or any other good stuff that I've missed here. They all have pretty good reviews so I'll probably grab a couple, but if any are head and shoulders above the rest, I'll start there. I already have Guacamelee and Mark of the Ninja, and they're both fantastic, so any other suggestions in that vein would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

Shovel Knight is the clear winner in that list.

MMF Freeway posted:

Shovel knight is the best one on that list, but its not a metroidvania, so if you're looking for that I'd go with axiom verge or ori.

Ularg posted:

I really liked Strider, it was part of the first PS+ offerings for the PS4. It's a good bit of goofy fun. Haven't played Axiom Verge enough yet but the art style and music is great.

I wonder if anyone here would consider Hyper Light Drifter a metroidvania or rather a zelda-like. Because if there's any cross over in interest I want to have any excuse to recommend Hyper Light Drifter to people, it's a great game.

Mokinokaro posted:

Also, Salt and Sanctuary isn't like the others at all. It's literally 2D Dark Souls.
Thanks for all the feedback - it's sounding like Shovel Knight and at least one of the others are in my future.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

Happy new year everyone! I have keys for some games I already have so have at them! Claim em or whatever and I'll PM you or something. (note: i'm not sure WHY i have these dupe keys? I dunno if Humble Bundle gave me dupe keys by accident or if I really did just buy a lot of bundles with overlapping games this past year, so hopefully the gift links work when you get them!)
Thanks for Trine 2! I really enjoyed the first one, and I'm looking forward to more 3 way side scrolling action.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know how difficult that is, so I'm broadening the scope of the question: is there any game on Steam that reminds you of any of the qualities that Deadly Premonition has? If you are a fan of the game, obviously.
The obvious answer to this is D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. Unfortunately, I don't think there aren't any plans to finish it, but it's another Swery65 game. It's much smaller, but has a lot of the same feel to it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

So, what is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

If anyone's doing any last minute card trading, I still need 3 and 4. I've also got several each of 2, 5, and 8 if anyone needs them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chuck_Steak/

• Locked thread