Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Thanks - I might give it a miss then since I was looking more for a relaxing single player sandbox. I feel like DayZ is the kind of game that looks great in amusing youtube griefing videos but would be not nearly as good to play.

Maybe The Long Dark is better for this?

Space Engineers is what you want. It's like Empyrion, but it's slowly starting to eclipse its features. It's very much still in Beta, but it adds new stuff semi-regularly and every week gets a new patch that at the very least crushes bugs and optimizes code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

I am kicking myself for not buying MGSV earlier. I just got D-Dog and if anyone hurts him, I am killing the world.

D-Dog's always worth taking for general map-roaming, because he'll just bark and point out where everyone is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edmond Dantes posted:

Enjoy, mate. Merry Christmas.

Oh, don't worry. Sparky doesn't creep up on you, you'll always hear her coming. This way you can always try to run. :unsmigghh:

Seriously though, she makes a lot of noise when stomping around. Just remember she can hear your motion tracker, so put it the gently caress away if you know she's in the room with you.

If you want to avoid surprises, here's a very, very mild gameplay spoiler: she can set up in the ceiling vents and wait for you to walk under them, but you can spot the drool dripping from them if you're paying attention.

This isn't always true, she can be dead goddamn silent when she wants to be. Never ever check your Motion Tracker when you're hiding inside a closet if the Alien is nearby. She can hear the beeps. Also learn to shift in the Lockers and hide at an angle if she tries looking in through the grille.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of lockers: the most important part in Surviving A:I is to always be moving. If you stay hidden in the same place too long, enemies will find you. Move between hiding spots, and remember you don't have to crouch-walk everywhere. Running is loud as gently caress, but unless there's someone in the room with you, you can get away with walking normally most of the time.

Learn to change up the type of hiding spots too. Otherwise eventually the Alien starts digging into cupboards and Lockers out of frustration.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beer_war posted:

You can't grab weapons from fallen enemies in Alien: Isolation, it's not the game glitching out or anything.

Yeah, it's arbitrary, but what are you gonna do?

Run. Run, hide, and hope the Alien will just kill the people trying to shoot at you and leave afterwards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Do we have a steam trading card thread anymore? I can't seem to find it and I'm shy two cards for the badge (Game Within a Game and Community Choice)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bolivar posted:

Think I'll probably pick up Wolfenstein TNO and Shadowrun - dragonfall since I don't have too much of a backlog and next bigger sale isn't until June I think?
Guess I'm open for some random last day- suggestions for games under 5 eur/$ which don't have too much of a learning curve.

Rip and Tear your budget apart by getting DOOM as well. RIP AND TEAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bolivar posted:

I HEAR YOU MAN, but I looked into it, and apparently the GTX950M of my laptop is fine for Wolfenstein but crap for Doom. And it would be a bit pointless to play Doom if it doesn't feel fluent. I'll probably just grab it for five bucks once I buy a new PC.

YOUR PC NEEDS HUGE GUTS! :black101:

• Locked thread