Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mystic Stylez posted:

Does it mean I should skip Returns even if I have it and start with Dragonfall?
Play returns if you want a tutorial, because it's one very long tutorial. It's a good tutorial, but the actual game parts aren't very meaty.

I didn't much care for Dragonfall, though. Much of the game felt like a massive chore to me, and the opening story hook is hilariously weak.

On the other hand the actual mystery of the story is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looking at grabbing Final Fantasy VIII, IX, and the X / X-2 HD remasters but I've heard certain Final Fantasy releases on Steam (mainly the SNES versions and VII) should be avoided and instead emulated. Anyone able to vouch for the quality of 8 through 10?
Eight you need to replace the music. It's easy to do, but you NEED to do it apparently. It worked fine.

The SNES version is a phone port and doesn't look great, but you can mod it some of the way back. It's kinda overpriced for an ancient game though.

I think VII benefits from some modding as well, I think you replace some of the textures and models? I played VII and VIII on steam and I didn't notice any problems.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Revol posted:

Risk of Rain - Always been weary of this game, doesn't seem my type, but will finally bite the bullet and give it a shot
Risk is, in my opinion, the best of the roguelike action games. At least of the ones I've played. I haven't gotten around to buying Gungeon yet.

But you will take a couple hours to click with it no matter. Before that it will beat your rear end.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Was there something wrong with Satellite Reign? I remember wanting it, but I took it off my wishlist, which usually means I found out there was something wrong with it.

But now I can't remember.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

On a related note, does anyone know if the GOG season pass is applicable to the Steam version? It's ten bucks cheaper.
I don't think so.

I bought the two DLC separately and saved twenty five cents. It says I don't own the season pass but I do own the GOTY edition after that. Very strange.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Should I buy MoO(2016)? I mean, is it a solid and finished 4x or just sort of half there?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Avasculous posted:

They're both good, but I preferred Dungeon.
Seconding this. I liked Don't Starve, but I think it suffers for its roguelite elements whereas Dungeon benefits from them. They both have tons of personality and style though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How good are the ports of these versions of Final Fantasy, particularly the post-SNES ones and IV? V and VI look like they just ported those phone versions, made ugly games even uglier.
8 uses midi and needs to be modded. Ran well, iirc.

7 has mods for something important I can't remember. Also ran well.

Mods can't save 6 apparently but can make it look a little better? I haven't gotten around to playing that one yet. I downloaded all the mods and forgot to install them and can't find the page on it, derp.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Leper Residue posted:

sega all star racing transformed is the best kart game I've played in my 31 year of gaming.

though admittedly I haven't played anything on the wii u.
I played the WiiU mario kart at a friend's birthday party and found it nowhere near as fun. Racing transformed is really quite fun.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Isn't that a mobile port?
I think so. I wouldn't say it was good or bad, just sort of there.

I played two hours and I think it was just getting out of bed on actually telling me the story I'm supposed to give a poo poo about when I stopped bothering.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Relin posted:

I'm sure it's worth it but a little disappointing it hasn't gone on sale in the three years it's been out
It's one of those games by a dev that doesn't believe in sales.

I didn't really find it had much in the way of unlocks until you were pretty good at the game though. I think I unlocked two items before I got sick of it, and maybe half the characters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Leck posted:

Thanks for all the feedback - it's sounding like Shovel Knight and at least one of the others are in my future.
I would suggest Axiom Verge, at least in terms of Metroidvania. Strider I found got increasingly grating and boring each progressive hour I put in til I stopped wanting to play entirely.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

And to contribute to the Axion Verge discussion:

The game was great for the first half. Then I realized I never got one item that hosed me over to advancing the story. I had to finally read a FAQ to find out the why I couldn't reach a new area.

Oh and way before that was the grappling hook. gently caress that add on. Talk about useless.
The bit where you get the lovely controlling grappling hook and then the game throws you in a hole is where I imagine people quit it.

I really liked Axiom Verge, but it was definitely weaker in the second-half. It also needed teleporting. I really love the idea of riding the severed head of a war-machine that went insane from isolation but in practice it didn't need to happen seven times, and the main twists to the storyline showed up way too early as well.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dr Snofeld posted:

Will I bounce off of Baldur's Gate Enhanced if I don't have familiarity with AD&D? I only know 4th Edition and 5th Edition rules, and I know that AD&D had arcane bullshit like 18/00 or THAC0.
You should be fine, I think. THACO is pretty easy to understand in a CRPG. BG into BG2 is a huge adventure that does get into super-finicky bullshit involving ruby rays and layers of defensive spells and stuff I still have nightmares about

But BG itself is pretty down to earth and while a little tricky at first you're generally given enough time the weirder elements of the system.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Logan 5 posted:

Doom, Deus Ex MK, and Dishonored 2 I had intended to wait until next sale since my backlog is big enough, but considering the praise for Doom and the discount I might get it now anyway.
It's even cheaper on bundlestars, I think. I've been considering it but my backlog is huge.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chas McGill posted:

What's the best cheap controller that plays nicely with steam games? I've been gifted a bunch of games that are suited to controllers and I don't really like my wireless 360 pad for them. I was thinking of getting the PS4 one now that there's native support but it's so expensive!
As a word of warning, the "native support" is immensely goofy and you need to load configurations in big picture mode to get it anywhere close to working for quite a few titles.

I still really like my DS4, but don't expect a plug and play experience.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So I was writing up a year in review for 2016 and looked over the games I've played. Wanted to mention Hade was a super nice little puzzle game, very simple but very brisk with little bullshit. Also Odallus the Dark Call which I'm sure people have said nice things about is on sale in a bundle for less than three dollars. I don't know if it's just bugged out for Canadians, since it's only 50% off but google shows it as 80% off USD? Who knows. It was pretty solid at that price. If you like really beautiful pixel art I honestly think Odallus might be the best 8-bit style I've seen.

Also it's too expensive for a tiny indie game but Mysterious Space was a solid little roguelite exploration game. It's about exploring a set of planetary systems to investigate an alien signal. Pretty chill.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

The "most money in 2016" thing is offensive to all of my senses, especially taste. Fallout 4 / nms shouldn't be that high, and hitman being that low is a crime
The steam controller is in the top 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tafferling posted:

I'd like to try Odallus if it's still unbidden. I'm ready for an unforgiving creepy beat'em up.
It's real good, but it's Castlevania.

• Locked thread