Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

So is there anything on this wishlist I should acquire before the sale is out?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037512870/wishlist

Roundabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MGR:R is really good once you get the hang of it. Probably the easiest to understand of the Platinum Games library, too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm going to drop my unprompted opinion and say that I don't understand all the hype around GTA5. I put a few hours into it and it felt like the same poo poo that Rockstar's been selling since Vice City. Everything GTA 5 did had been done better by Sleeping Dogs or Saint's Row 3.

It's just super popular because it's gif bait and it has a huge marketing campaign. It's like Call of Duty without the incessant hate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spuzzz posted:

Did they ever fix Beyond Earth? I found the demo to be pretty bad.

It is bad and continues to be bad even after the expansion. Skip.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bolivar posted:

Thanks, I can see it clearer now. Think I'll finish the great games on my backlog and take another look at this game during next bigger sale.
Sunless Sea is great and does have great writing but it's basically just kind of a tool around and explore game, and the writing is mostly small but interesting beats in worldbuilding. Most of the enjoyment comes from the kind of emergent vignettes about things that happened in your play.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Is the sandbox mode of The Long Dark good? I'm emboldened by the fact that Firewatch runs smoothly on my laptop, so I'm looking at games I didn't consider before.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Will I bounce off of Baldur's Gate Enhanced if I don't have familiarity with AD&D? I only know 4th Edition and 5th Edition rules, and I know that AD&D had arcane bullshit like 18/00 or THAC0.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

So is there anything on this wishlist I should acquire before the sale is out?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037512870/wishlist

Universe sandbox 2 and fallout 4 are both eminently skippable. Rollers of the realm and roundabout are both pro buys

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jack's Flow posted:

Is the sandbox mode of The Long Dark good? I'm emboldened by the fact that Firewatch runs smoothly on my laptop, so I'm looking at games I didn't consider before.

The Long Dark is very good. It's the only survival game that I've really enjoyed, and they're consistently adding new content.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dr Snofeld posted:

Will I bounce off of Baldur's Gate Enhanced if I don't have familiarity with AD&D? I only know 4th Edition and 5th Edition rules, and I know that AD&D had arcane bullshit like 18/00 or THAC0.
You should be fine, I think. THACO is pretty easy to understand in a CRPG. BG into BG2 is a huge adventure that does get into super-finicky bullshit involving ruby rays and layers of defensive spells and stuff I still have nightmares about

But BG itself is pretty down to earth and while a little tricky at first you're generally given enough time the weirder elements of the system.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dr Snofeld posted:

Those are probably the worst offenders. If you like D&D I think you'll pick it up in no time. If you're like me, you're more likely to bounce off because of the awful pathfinding (which is not such a big deal in BG1 since you spend most of your time outdoors) and low anount of story and character moments compared to modern games (which is especially true of 1.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dr Snofeld posted:

THAC0 isn't that difficult to grasp, and strength percentage is largely irrelevant. What you may find yourself lacking is understand of spellcaster degeneracy of AD&D and how to effectively game spell interactions to beat some more difficult encounters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hey, are you browsing the steam thread on New Year's eve instead of being with your friends and loved ones? Why not drop by the gift train thread and get some of that good goon holiday cheer?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Quest For Glory II posted:

the award winners were posted. they're exactly what you'd expect the Steam community to vote for

What's the Game inside GTA5?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Athanatos posted:

What's the Game inside GTA5?

trying to engage in MP without getting griefed by a hacker

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bought Football Tactics on a whim because it had numerous reviews saying it was as fun as XCOM and other tactical strategy games. Played it for a little bit and decided it's not nearly as tactical as people made it out to be. Hoping the refund I put in for gets here before the sale closes out so I can grab 8-Bit Armies or Project Highrise or something.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Does anyone have a Ori and the Blind Forest coupon they don't want? It's been on my wish list forever. Send me a friend request if you do: http://steamcommunity.com/id/yegods/

TIA

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lester Shy posted:

The Long Dark is very good. It's the only survival game that I've really enjoyed, and they're consistently adding new content.

Great, thanks. Picked it up. Also, everything Hitman: Absolution, Never Alone and Oxenfree.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

At least Wheatley and/or GlaDOS got acknowledged as the villain most in need of a hug.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I almost have enough to get The Witness but I'm a Humble Monthly subscriber and i'm pretty dang sure it will be a headliner of the bundle in 2017 at some point, so I'm getting other games instead. QUBE, Culpa Innata, RYB, Crimson Room Decade for sure.

Just a heads up that Steam's version of Culpa Innata is censored (as opposed to the one on GOG, I think), but I don't know how bad it is

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So holiday season was kind of a crapshoot. Thought I was gonna be tight on money but then kind goons and some unexpected gifts from family & friends allowed me to get a few things so might as well do some quick reviews of what I played.

Age of Wonders III
: Good game with some funny production values. Solid gameplay, some in-game models look absolutely terrible and the whole game is kind of dry but if you want a sort of 4x game with an emphasis on lots and lots and lots of strategic combat, this is it.

Dying Light
: A little gift from a buddy, I have a love/hate thing going with this one. I love the idea but combat is soooo bad that gameplay can be frustrating pretty often. Lots of cheap poo poo like zombies respawning nearby, melee feels pretty bad and the game looks kind of ugly to be honest. Some suspect performance issues too, especially when any sort of overlay effects gets plastered over your screen. That said, it IS fun and being out at night is crazy exciting so I kind of want to keep going and see where it goes.

Mad Games Tycoon: Half "The Sims", half "Game Dev Story" and 100% lovely 3D models you'd find if you visited free3dmodels.geocities.net or something. Actually pretty solid but it feels like the kind of game that you'd sink five hours into before you realize production is at an all time low because you built the toilets wrong. If you are in the market for that kind of dense company management game or always wanted to make a game for the Mintendu Zwitch, go nuts.

Subnautica
: The one huge bummer of the sale. Directionless, kinda buggy, missing everything from bits of UI to artwork and plagued with performance issues on top. Probably the game I was looking forward to the most but ended up refunding it after I learned about how the dev has been putting off fixing performance issues for months and the community is happy pretending the game ain't a huge pile of stuttering and FPS drops. I'd say try again in six months but I don't have high hopes for this one.

Ghosbusters The Video Game: Holy poo poo. As an actual game it is a bit clunky but man... this thing is great. I grew up mostly with the cartoon and the one thing I always loved about it was how many of the monsters and ghosts presented in it had actual roots on folklore, urban legends or outright in-universe logic. This game not only has you teaming up with the classic ghostbusters complete with proper dry humor and subtle references but the game encyclopedia encourages you to read up on a bunch of awesome, lovingly detailed bullshit about every single paranormal event, ghost, ghostbusting equipment and mysterious artifact that you may find. I think my favorite so far is an endless bottle of cough syrup tucked inside a brown paperbag, fabled among hobos and promptly secured for research. Thanks Jamfrost!

Paint it Back
: The surprise hit of the sale. Out of all the games I thought this mobile port was a big gamble because picross ain't exactly hard to find on the internet but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not exactly a hardcore picross guy but this feels like it has all the polish and features you might need, including workshop support to get even more puzzles beyond the official ones. Neat artstyle, good music, game is so smooth and launches so drat fast that I can literally run the thing and play a little puzzle while my PC loads other stuff. I'd say it's a must buy if you have like 6 bucks laying around.

Kopanito All-Stars Soccer: Another gift, this is like an arcade soccer game that people love comparing to something like Super Mario Strikers. I for one never played that but I can tell you that Kopanito is a deceptively simple, fast paced and yet kind of barebones game that is probably going to be great for local multiplayer but miiiiiight need just a bit more work before it really shines elsewhere. With no referee, simple controls, a handful of powerups and some pretty smooth skill based gameplay; Kopanito is probably the only soccer game that will ever let you play a cartoony Palestine national soccer team versus a bunch of werewolves. It also has a "replay" feature that lets you create .gif files out of your goals but it seems to be garbage on my computer so have a webm instead.

https://a.pomf.cat/tggeia.webm

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cubixx HD

I'll have to decide on maybe 2-3 of them. Also I realize that maybe listing these games is pointless because no one knows what the gently caress they are but me.

Dude, I know those titles, but of them, I've only bought Cubixx and it controls a little weird for a Qix? Once you learn some of the rules it has compared to vanilla clones it's quite fun but get ready to figure out the strangeness for a few stages.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Forgive me if this is not the right place for this.

I got a Steam Link on the cheap and after some fiddling, it works pretty drat great. I am on a 4K TV, but the upscale works pretty well and it all works exactly on the tin.

However, I want to play Witcher 3 on it. I can get it to play no problem, even though it is the GoG version (Just point to the program in steam itself), and it generally runs and looks pretty good. The problem is that there is an effect that produces really sharp outlines on the vegetation. I don't know if it is the effect itself or an artifact of the upscale, but it does not lend itself well to the larger screen. If anyone has an idea of what I am talking about, is there a way to lessen this, either in game or in the TV configuration itself? I think increasing the color saturation helps.

In fact is there a guide for configuring TVs to look best in Steam Big Picture mode?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Have two bucks from cards left on me, and I'm thinking about Hitman GO. Anything else around that price point worth considering?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Justin_Brett posted:

Have two bucks from cards left on me, and I'm thinking about Hitman GO. Anything else around that price point worth considering?
One of the greatest games of all time: http://store.steampowered.com/app/336610/

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

How is Leap of Fate? Seems like a pretty well received rougelite and good for ~ $5.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Every time I load my save in Dying Light Crane yells "HOLY poo poo!"

The glitch always scares the crap out of me :smith:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Justin_Brett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLzSh1UKgs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wildtortilla posted:

Are card idlers still a thing?
Idlemaster still works

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Looking for fun games my laptop can handle and I've got my eye on these two:

Momodora

Moon Hunters

Anyone have any experience with them?
Both Momodoras are good action platformers/minor metroidvanias that any laptop can run, but you absolutely need a gamepad.

Palpek posted:

poo poo, my bank blocked my card because apparently something fishy was going on which is a good thing I guess. The bad thing is that the new one will come in the next 2 weeks, how will I empty my wallet now on irrational, bad, last-minute purchases?
Go buy a steam wallet card at just about any store.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Trying to figure out what I should get this sale, help me goons. I should probably buy things that actually use my new gpu instead of replaying another pixelated roguelite, much as I love them:

I'm a sucker for pretty open world games to explore, so The Witcher 3 looks great. However, I've played some of the first and second game and only got about a fifth and half way through them, respectively. Honestly I didn't care for the gameplay at all and while there were some aspects of the 2nd that I liked, the story and characters mostly fell flat for me. Would the 3rd still be worth it still for that sweet open world?

Played and love/hated the first two, is Dark Souls 3 worth picking up now or would it better to wait for the inevitable complete edition? Base is same price as the GOTY of the Witcher 3 right now.

Lastly, anyone have any words on Everspace? Looks cool but "early access roguelike spaceship game" makes me hesitate.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have the Steam Holiday Sale cards 3, 4, 5 and 8 if anyone needs them. Please add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phorrum/

I don't need anything for them, I don't even try to craft badges and the pennies they're worth are... well... pennies to me. So it's no big deal at all to give them away. I'll edit this post when any of them are taken.

Edit: Card #4 is Gogogogone.
Edit: Card #5 and #8 are Gone.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 1, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Logan 5 posted:

I'm a sucker for pretty open world games to explore, so The Witcher 3 looks great. However, I've played some of the first and second game and only got about a fifth and half way through them, respectively. Honestly I didn't care for the gameplay at all and while there were some aspects of the 2nd that I liked, the story and characters mostly fell flat for me. Would the 3rd still be worth it still for that sweet open world?

3 plays very different than 1 & 2. Witcher 3 is some of the best writing in a video game I've ever played. The open world is absolutely massive and gorgeous. I highly recommend Witcher 3 if you enjoy open world games.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Logan 5 posted:

Trying to figure out what I should get this sale, help me goons. I should probably buy things that actually use my new gpu instead of replaying another pixelated roguelite, much as I love them:

Played and love/hated the first two, is Dark Souls 3 worth picking up now or would it better to wait for the inevitable complete edition? Base is same price as the GOTY of the Witcher 3 right now.

Lastly, anyone have any words on Everspace? Looks cool but "early access roguelike spaceship game" makes me hesitate.

DS3 is a great sendoff, the series has never looked or controlled better than this one. The first DLC is p decent quality like all Dark Souls games, though really short.

Witcher 3 is more accessible than anything prior, loving fantastic DLCs and looks great. The characters are also great, but even if you don't completely buy into them the side stories and plot alone carry it.

Everspace is honestly pretty shallow at this point still. It's sort of like someone took the structure of FTL and put in a unreal engine, but unless the combat literally makes your dick hard from looking at it gets real repetitive real fast.

For a new GPU I would highly recommend Doom if you missed the hype somehow.

Edit: Just to throw them out there MGS5, Deus Ex MK, Hitman, XCOM 2 and Civ 6 all look pretty drat good, play well and are really fun.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 1, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Welp, just refunded Recettear, because forced 4:3 ratios, irritating chirps and dead-simple children's game gameplay is not what I need right now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Just have Holiday Card #3 left to give away. Kind words out to Dr Angela Ziegler for the Oh... Sir! Insult Simulator gift. Downloading it right now.

Also, Ziggurat buddies!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Eh I don't care about trading cards. Add me on steam if you need any of these: http://steamcommunity.com/id/skywars124/

I thought this game was cool x2
Test of time x2
Wooaaah Dude x2
Something In My Eye x1
Best Use of Farm Animal x2 x1
Community Choice x3 (inc x1 foil)

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 1, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm eyeing Crookz, any opinions?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Welp, just refunded Recettear, because forced 4:3 ratios, irritating chirps and dead-simple children's game gameplay is not what I need right now.

That's a shame, it's a really fun game.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

So I'd say my favorite game I got this sale is Hand of Fate . It's kind of hard to explain the game, so I'd recommend watching some videos, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Popete posted:

3 plays very different than 1 & 2. Witcher 3 is some of the best writing in a video game I've ever played. The open world is absolutely massive and gorgeous. I highly recommend Witcher 3 if you enjoy open world games.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

DS3 is a great sendoff, the series has never looked or controlled better than this one. The first DLC is p decent quality like all Dark Souls games, though really short.

Witcher 3 is more accessible than anything prior, loving fantastic DLCs and looks great. The characters are also great, but even if you don't completely buy into them the side stories and plot alone carry it.

Everspace is honestly pretty shallow at this point still. It's sort of like someone took the structure of FTL and put in a unreal engine, but unless the combat literally makes your dick hard from looking at it gets real repetitive real fast.

For a new GPU I would highly recommend Doom if you missed the hype somehow.

Edit: Just to throw them out there MGS5, Deus Ex MK, Hitman, XCOM 2 and Civ 6 all look pretty drat good, play well and are really fun.

Well poo poo, looks like I might get both W3 and DS3, and hold out on Everspace. Thanks fellas.

Doom, Deus Ex MK, and Dishonored 2 I had intended to wait until next sale since my backlog is big enough, but considering the praise for Doom and the discount I might get it now anyway.

• Locked thread