Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
You couldn't pay me to play Project X-Zone tbh, that game had me bored by the third mission. I'm extremely comfortable with it being a spin-off and not playing it

Dabir posted:

I've seen that sentence-ending verbal tic thing in other Japanese media but only written down. Never imagined it being YELLED AT YOU AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICE like that.

CLANG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dabir posted:

I've seen that sentence-ending verbal tic thing in other Japanese media but only written down. Never imagined it being YELLED AT YOU AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICE like that.

oh friend, stick around

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
If memory serves, the Time Sandals blow most other boots out of the water on raw stats until Quarantine or so. I remember getting a lot of use out of them, at least.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

If memory serves, the Time Sandals blow most other boots out of the water on raw stats until Quarantine or so. I remember getting a lot of use out of them, at least.

they're always nice for the race mini-games since even with the item you still get frozen in place while casting, so might as well go with the option that doesn't cost anything

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

You couldn't pay me to play Project X-Zone tbh, that game had me bored by the third mission. I'm extremely comfortable with it being a spin-off and not playing it

CLANG

RIBBIT

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

DA NE!?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

POO YOO

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God that Data Drain animation from the fighting game looks loving dope.

And yes Mistral is good for Skeith because if you just have close ranged fighters then he just spams his insta-gib strike instead of using Earthquake.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
so, uh, good news

there's apparently a near 100% completed translation patch for .hack//link

so, uh

yeah

e: i have added my commitment to completing .hack//link into the op

gently caress, poo poo, piss, etc

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 23, 2017

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
100% finished? That's great news! Which group/person released it? The one I've been playing/following is largely finished but still has some ways to go regarding side content, editting, and fixing game crashes. Link is like a 70+ hour game which is a big commitment... should be fun to watch though!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

so, uh, good news

there's apparently a near 100% completed translation patch for .hack//link

so, uh

yeah

e: i have added my commitment to completing .hack//link into the op

gently caress, poo poo, piss, etc

You are a good and strong LPer.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

pick-e posted:

100% finished? That's great news! Which group/person released it? The one I've been playing/following is largely finished but still has some ways to go regarding side content, editting, and fixing game crashes. Link is like a 70+ hour game which is a big commitment... should be fun to watch though!

near 100%, it's probably the same one you're thinking of: https://dothacktranslate.wordpress.com/projects/hacklink-english-fan-translation/

we're still six games away from it anyways, and the stated end goal is q4 2017 so we got time

e: if the translation breaks or isn't finished i'll freakin' translate the rest of it myself in post if i have to, because i am insane

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 23, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is this a cry for help?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dabir posted:

Is this a cry for help?

yes, i am accepting help with my future dot hack link lp, are you offering

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dabir posted:

Is this a cry for help?

Is there such a thing as dot hack rehab?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
ah hell since im shaming myself anyways, guess whats on the way: https://www.amazon.com/hack-Sekai-Versus-Hybrid-Playstation-3/dp/B007NDJH10

the trick is going to be getting emalde flown over here so he can fight me in this dumb nerd fighting game, esp since he'll pick the most annoying character (see: pokken / weavile)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Did you at least buy used?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Tallgeese posted:

Did you at least buy used?

no, my brother in law found it cheap on a anime store shelf in japan and asked if i wanted it, equivalent 20 bucks i think? its being sent over with various foods and snacks that my family over there sends twice a year :kimchi:

here's what im struggling to consider buying: https://www.amazon.com/hack-fragmen...VA9XT7XZ6ESSWKN

on one hand, used is cheap, on the other, gently caress

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sadly, in the name of ethics I cannot encourage you to buy it for my entertainment.

...can someone else do it for me?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

no, my brother in law found it cheap on a anime store shelf in japan and asked if i wanted it, equivalent 20 bucks i think? its being sent over with various foods and snacks that my family over there sends twice a year :kimchi:

here's what im struggling to consider buying: https://www.amazon.com/hack-fragmen...VA9XT7XZ6ESSWKN

on one hand, used is cheap, on the other, gently caress

does it even work anymore? i thought they shut the servers down after a year
the spin i heard at the time was that it was always planned as a year-long 'research project' to make a the player behavior in gu more realistic, and totally planed to close and not a trash fire at all, which, yeah, sure buddy, uh-huh

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

AriadneThread posted:

the spin i heard at the time was that it was always planned as a year-long 'research project' to make a the player behavior in gu more realistic, and totally planed to close and not a trash fire at all, which, yeah, sure buddy, uh-huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGooLHhCCns

The answer appears to be yes.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

coldbird actually shut down recently so that video is old, but its much like PSOBB in that its a private server version of the original game

AriadneThread posted:

there's an offline mode so it kind of works but it won't be more than a one episode thing because, really, lol

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Aw, that's a shame. Makes sense though.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i'm speechless

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think I just rollercoastered your emotions and am sorry.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
cream of the crop mmo, forces you to wait until all players are ready before zoning to the next dungeon room, which could be a small square that takes 2 seconds to traverse, before waiting 10 seconds for load times

g o o d s h i t

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

you must gather your party before venturing forth

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

AriadneThread posted:

you must gather your party before venturing forth

can't gate out without my buddy 420superFLYxxx

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have a lot of videos to catch up on, but back to 'wait does this Celtic stuff mean'. Dun Loireag!

A dun is a fort on top of a hill, built by the Celts and Gaels in the 7th century. The Loireag - pronounced 'lorryack' - is a water fairy from the islands off of southwestern Scotland. The Loireag is notable for loving music and hating people singing out of tune. She was also notable for being a patron of weavers, honored by various loom rituals and offerings of milk. if not given her milk, she might drain the milk of the local cattle, sheep and goats, or paralyze them with magic. Also, if a song was sung twice in the same weaving session, she would curse the weavers.

So yeah - a water fairy's hillfort.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mors Rattus posted:

I have a lot of videos to catch up on, but back to 'wait does this Celtic stuff mean'. Dun Loireag!

A dun is a fort on top of a hill, built by the Celts and Gaels in the 7th century. The Loireag - pronounced 'lorryack' - is a water fairy from the islands off of southwestern Scotland. The Loireag is notable for loving music and hating people singing out of tune. She was also notable for being a patron of weavers, honored by various loom rituals and offerings of milk. if not given her milk, she might drain the milk of the local cattle, sheep and goats, or paralyze them with magic. Also, if a song was sung twice in the same weaving session, she would curse the weavers.

So yeah - a water fairy's hillfort.

i really need to start looking up how to pronounce this stuff because i'm like 90% sure i pronounced it as dun low-reeg

this is cool though, thank you!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wouldn't worry too hard about mispronouncing stuff since you can't possibly do worse than the devs probably did.

Plus, I mean, Gaelic is weird. Mac Cumhaill is pronounced 'McCool'

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i blame this game and Myth for my childhood weeaboo phase being fixated on the Celts

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
PLease buy no more games until needed. I am worried that the money could go to meds/food/not being a goon

Much love Namaste

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Herr Tog posted:

PLease buy no more games until needed. I am worried that the money could go to meds/food/not being a goon

Much love Namaste

i am, surprisingly, in a very good position w/ money/job/career and have a solid budget (that my wife mostly handles because she's real good at book balancing)

trust me, any purchases i make are within the confines of comfortable spending

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Ah that's the one I've been playing. It really is far along, though even then there are still even some untranslated menu elements.

the trick is going to be getting emalde flown over here so he can fight me in this dumb nerd fighting game, esp since he'll pick the most annoying character (see: pokken / weavile)
Would be it be cheaper/easier to convince him to buy a PS3 and a copy of the game and play it online? Another thing you may need him and another person close by for is Link's local multi-player mode. Playing through that in its entirety yourself is worse than the chore the Forest of Pain is...

Herr Tog posted:

Much love Namaste
To be fair getting them now before they become more scarce/higher priced is the safe bet. We've all now seen just how much the other .hack games go for these days. :ohdear:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

You can run .hack//fragment on your own server but it's not fun at all. I tried for a few min back when the open servers were online still but I'd rather play .hack//GU again at least you had more classes and updated graphics.

Who are the weirdos who spend all that :20bux: on over a decade old PS2 anime games? Although I own .hack//IM and entire .hack//GU I wouldn't say it's worth buying them all over again based on nostalgia factor alone.

OSTs were worth it.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Alder posted:

Who are the weirdos who spend all that :20bux: on over a decade old PS2 anime games?

*tugging collar, looking for an exit*

haha yeah what dork would spend that kind of money on old anime games, whew lad they must be HUGE losers, haha

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

i am, surprisingly, in a very good position w/ money/job/career and have a solid budget (that my wife mostly handles because she's real good at book balancing)

trust me, any purchases i make are within the confines of comfortable spending

so food and cloths are fine but what about the 'not being a goon' part?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

so food and cloths are fine but what about the 'not being a goon' part?

*tugging collar, looking for an exit*

haha yeah what dork would spend that kind of money on old anime games, whew lad they must be HUGE losers, haha

oh goddamnit

edit: double post, oh goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Finally caught up on all the episodes. Can't stand Mistral's voice, even though her character is otherwise fine.

Parts of it seem really cheesey, like how people cannot fathom something wrong happening to the game. But it helps to remember this is an alternate universe where a computer virus is just unfathomable, let alone one that is running unchecked in the biggest MMORPG, or one that is capable of sending people exposed to it into a coma in real life.

Kite is a very bare-bones character, he's meant to be a player self-insert than anything. Which is a shame because it would have been interesting to explore his personality with all the interesting things that happen to him. For starters he's the real-life friend of one of the most famous players in The World. He's also the only one who knows the circumstances over Orca falling into a coma, and left with very little to work with aside from player the very same game where his friend was stricken. Kite isn't bad, but I wish he'd been more fleshed out, especially when you compare him to Haseo from the GU Trilogy.

The games themselves look like they could have been split into just Part 1 and Part 2. Four games seems like they got greedy, but I have no clue how the decision to split the story into four games came to be. The story is quite interesting - the premise is great - but it gets bogged down by repetitive hack and slash game play that I'm glad this is getting an LP.

The facial tattoos on many of the characters are interesting, but I don't recall if there was ever any lore significance to them. I do think it's funny how there's an in-game explanation for "character recolors" - because in an MMORPG with millions of players of course you'll see dupes running around.

I'm not sure if there's a word for it, but Dot Hack has a lot of falsely predicting the future. That is to say, it depicts this very advanced MMORPG that seems strange to view now because The World is missing a lot of basic mechanics that real MMORPGs have had for a number of years now. And the mandatory monster fights just to progress through dungeons would be such a turnoff in a real MMORPG, let alone as IMOQ.

The music though....man, the music really holds up and one of the strongest points. The songs and music of both the games and anime series were great and gave Dot Hack a lot of personality.

I look forward to the coverage of Mutation.

• Locked thread