Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you made a triple post without a single joke and youre calling out stupid?

This is C-SPAM, shitposting with multiple posts in a row is the thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
C-SPAM is a place to let it all hang out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The kiddy table of D&D.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darkman Fanpage posted:

tell that to the prince of wales

that was actually a really freaky sinking

on paper Prince of Wales should've been well able to absorb the amount of ordnance the Japanese planes hit her with (just like the Bismarck should in theory have been able to take a single torpedo hit and survive) the problem was that one torpedo hit Prince of Wales in just the right place to cause massive damage through a cascading system failure

this torpedo hit the bracket that held one of her propeller shafts in place while that shaft was going at drat near maximum revolutions, and when the bracket was broken up by the explosion the shaft went out of alignment and tore up everything it its path (because if a propeller shaft isn't aligned properly it's just a huge spinning steel rod that wants to go wherever its momentum takes it) which crippled the engineering spaces and her power supply, leaving her unable to take evasive maneuvers, so she went from being able to shake off the attacking planes' aim to being a slow, easy target that couldn't shoot back because most of her AA guns had lost power

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Panzeh posted:

After the first couple months of the war both sides struggled to blow up each others' battleships with air attacks. They were actually pretty hard to sink.

*posts song about ineffectual air attacks leading to lengthy surface battle with the Bismarck taking a ton of punishment*

quote:

The four British ships fired more than 2,800 shells at Bismarck, and scored more than 400 hits, but were unable to sink Bismarck by gunfire. At around 10:20, running low on fuel, Tovey ordered the cruiser Dorsetshire to sink Bismarck with torpedoes and sent his battleships back to port.

like, I have no actual idea what you're talking about anymore, none at all, you have me completely bamboozled as to what your intentions are

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VikingSkull posted:

*posts song about ineffectual air attacks leading to lengthy surface battle with the Bismarck taking a ton of punishment*

like, I have no actual idea what you're talking about anymore, none at all, you have me completely bamboozled as to what your intentions are

I thought you were agreeing with the claim that battleships sucked and were easy to sink with aircraft because of the Bismarck getting hobbled by Ark Royal's planes. You very obviously weren't but I didn't realize that, so that's a pretty big :doh: on my part.

Also I've never liked that song you posted, so part of me saying "disagree" was supposed to be a swipe at the song, which in retrospect is dumb because how in the gently caress could anyone tell that was my intention? Again, a massive :doh: for me.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I thought you were agreeing with the claim that battleships sucked and were easy to sink with aircraft because of the Bismarck getting hobbled by Ark Royal's planes. You very obviously weren't but I didn't realize that, so that's a pretty big :doh: on my part.

ah ok I got ya now lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

did you guys see that movie "battleship" based on the milton-bradley tabletop game for kids ages 9-18

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

did you guys see that movie "battleship" based on the milton-bradley tabletop game for kids ages 9-18

it was actually a fun movie

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress

:owned:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

C-SPAM is a place to let it all hang out.
Kinky

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

VikingSkull posted:

it was actually a fun movie

it was; i enjoyed it a lot. reminded me of the thrill of the first live action transformers movie

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The biggest plothole is why does a museum-piece battleship still have live ammunition loaded, or at all readily available?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

dont kinkshme me pleaase

:butt: Al!most there

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm pro kink, if you don't have a kink you need to Get With The Program

zegermans posted:

The biggest plothole is why does a museum-piece battleship still have live ammunition loaded, or at all readily available?
actually the biggest plothole is your stupid mouth, that you can't keep shut so everyone can just enjoy the dumb movie!! im mad!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zegermans posted:

They had to fly to a space station to get ammo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

zegermans posted:

uhh... what do you mean "why"? for blowing poo poo up? why else???

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

loL@x32

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lol at the guys trying to sell JET FIGHTERS!! to the usaf and not making sure that their product looks cool as hell. that's priority #1

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Baloogan posted:

lol you need to read mahan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

aint that monica

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

call me a fool but i love the x32's big dumb face. the whale shark of the skies

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Prav posted:

lol at the guys trying to sell JET FIGHTERS!! to the usaf and not making sure that their product looks cool as hell. that's priority #1

didn't people call the F-4 Phantom II ugly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Concordat posted:

Who needs a gun they said when we can just SHOOT YOU DOWN WITH OUR PRETTY PRETTY MISSILES!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Concordat posted:

i am quoting this again so i can see how wrong you are again holy gently caress best probation ever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Battleships were pretty useless in WWII given their cost and ended up being relegated to offshore artillery.

Even the Yamato the biggest battleship ever built didn't sink a single allied ship.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it would probably have done better if it hadn't spent the entire war in harbor

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

well, maybe not, considering it was imperial japan

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Concordat posted:

Speaking of F-4 Phantom:

quote:

USAF F-4 Phantom jets to be retired and used as ground targets
The last of thousands of F-4 Phantom jets that have been a workhorse for the U.S. military over five decades are being put to pasture to serve as ground targets for strikes by newer aircraft, the Associated Press reports. The U.S. Air Force will hold a “final flight” retirement ceremony today at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, where the last F-4s are still flying for the U.S. military.

Here is the rest of the Associated Press article:

The ceremony will celebrate the airplane’s rich military history as the jet was a mainstay during the Vietnam War and used for decades for reconnaissance missions and anti-missile electronic jamming.

McDonnell Douglas – now part of Boeing Corp. – built more than 5,000 F-4s for the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps. It first flew in the late 1950s, and production ended in 1985.

The last F-4s still flying for the U.S. military took on a different role, serving as aerial targets and test aircraft during Air Force training over the New Mexico desert. The planes are either flown by pilots or remotely as drones by controllers on the ground. They’ve been used as targets for missiles and also used to test new radars and other missions. But with the retirement this week, the planes will no longer fly and instead be used as ground targets.

That the plane stayed in service so long is a testament to a range of roles that the F-4 could handle thanks to its large size, powerful engines and a two-member crew, said Jeff Duford, a National Museum of the Air Force research curator.

While other aircraft could handle some of the same missions, “there were none that were as flexible as the F-4,” Duford said.

“It was not the best of anything but it could do everything,” said Craig Schorzman, a retired Air Force colonel who lives in Tucson, Arizona, where he trained to fly the F-4 in the 1960s while at Davis Monthan Air Force Base before deploying to Germany and then Southeast Asia.

“It wasn’t the best air-to-air but we could do it. It could do close air support (of ground troops). It could do bombing. It could do any role, including nukes – we could do it.”

The aircraft “was hardy and very sturdy,” Schorzman said, recalling times when his plane made it back to base despite being shot up. “It saved my tail a few times.”

Schorzman said the fighter-bomber could use a precision guidance system to guide bombs to their targets. “We could go into a mouth of a cave.”

The Navy originally got production F-4s to intercept enemy bombers threatening U.S. aircraft carriers, and initial models relied on air-to-air missiles. They were later fitted with guns during the Vietnam War to combat enemy fighters.

As a dogfighter, the F-4 wasn’t great but could counter North Vietnam’s more nimble MiG fighters by using its more powerful engines to climb to get into a good position or get out of a bad one, Schorzman said.

While other aircraft such as the F-15 supplanted the F-4 in the fighter-bomb role, it still flew on for many years as camera-toting reconnaissance jets and in electronic-warfare versions that blinded enemy anti-aircraft missiles’ guidance systems.

“I think it really speaks to the usefulness of the platform,” Duford said.

The remaining 13 QF-4s at Holloman are flown by a detachment of a squadron at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida, and dozens of the target planes have been shot down either over White Sands Missile Range near Holloman or over the Gulf of Mexico.

The Tyndall squadron has already converted to flying F-16s as aerial targets, and the Holloman detachment is getting its first F-16 target version this week.

(the above was written by the Associated Press)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Prav posted:

Makes you think - Top Gun was filmed with a budget of $15 million, which is peanuts compared to what arms companies put into promoting their products. What they should be doing is this:

But instead we get the likes of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04h6sLC8sIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8j0qGp97N0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAWGEeC8kCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSTP9mqTeOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgtuV29C5k

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Nenonen posted:

Makes you think - Top Gun was filmed with a budget of $15 million, which is peanuts compared to what arms companies put into promoting their products. What they should be doing is this:

drat that plane looks awesome. From the moment I saw topgun and read Buck Danny, I fell in love with the F-14. I was really sad when I heard they were being retired.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
high-way, to the danger zooonneeee

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dalael posted:

drat that plane looks awesome. From the moment I saw topgun and read Buck Danny, I fell in love with the F-14. I was really sad when I heard they were being retired.

Fortunately they're not going to be completely retired anywhere soon:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I lolled when the military said they'd be shredding all the remaining F-14s to keep Iran from getting spare parts.

Iran. Getting spares from New Mexico.

de facto admitting that their boneyard people will steal spares for money lmao

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I lolled when the military said they'd be shredding all the remaining F-14s to keep Iran from getting spare parts.

Iran. Getting spares from New Mexico.

de facto admitting that their boneyard people will steal spares for money lmao
mannin the boneyard watch sounds like the kinda job youd get if you really pissed off somebody way up your chain

i mean it *sounds like* what youd do the day after they repealed dadt but you know what i mean

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The largest US boneyard is in AZ and has 4200 planes:

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/biggest/largest_military_aircraft_cemetery_The_Boneyard_sets_world_record_101577.htm

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

lololol i was lookin at all that and just seein the dollar signs id get haulin whatever i could knock off and theow in the back of the truck to the scrap yard

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lololol i was lookin at all that and just seein the dollar signs id get haulin whatever i could knock off and theow in the back of the truck to the scrap yard

Supposedly some of the planes are carefully stored in vacuum wrapping in case the US needs to reactivate them or just sell parts off to foreign countries.

Also storing them in SW would make them last even longer due to the climate especially the low humidity.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

yeah the boneyard is a junkyard (not a scrapyard) but since theres a lotta superdelicate parts they take good care of em for junkers to make sure the fancy parts dont get cucked by the heat/sand. the relatively dry climate def helps here too yeah

but gently caress man just think what you could do if you got a couple buddies with sledgehammers and pickups, you could cart off tons of beautiful metal to sell to a scrapyard holy trumpin poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah the boneyard is a junkyard (not a scrapyard) but since theres a lotta superdelicate parts they take good care of em for junkers to make sure the fancy parts dont get cucked by the heat/sand. the relatively dry climate def helps here too yeah

but gently caress man just think what you could do if you got a couple buddies with sledgehammers and pickups, you could cart off tons of beautiful metal to sell to a scrapyard holy trumpin poo poo

:stare:

• Locked thread