Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LordAba posted:

Fun fact about dropzone commander and most CMoN mini games (Wrath of Kings and Dark Age): they hold tournaments to gauge balance in their armies and make minor corrections to things. They are also really good games with good backgrounds that are fun. In fact, the balance makes them MORE fun because you accidentally didn't pick the "joke" faction (see Orks/Tyranids) so you can stand a chance to win in a game.

It's kinda weird because if you actually give some thought to balance, you probably won't get perfectly balanced factions, but you'll get factions that are playable and have something interesting to their gameplay.

Of course the people in that article love badly thought out games like Total War: Warhammer. Shogun 2 was by far CA's best game and they've never surpassed it.

Drone posted:

Mantic's Warpath pledges are now filtering down to their backers and tentative readings of the rulebook (for vanilla Warpath and for Warpath: Firefight) point to it being a good game. So it should do for 40k what KoW did for WHFB in terms of filling that niche.

I've read the rulebook for Warpath and it really feels like a 15mm multibase game like Flames of War rather than a 28mm game. It would probably be better at that scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hunt11 posted:

How so in terms of Warhammer? Anyway the issue with holding up Shogun 2 as some master piece is that while it is an extremely good game, it is also the easiest setting to have balanced factions due to the majority of the factions in the game having mostly the same units.

Rome 2 and Warhammer have every faction having huge, huge swaths of useless units. Pretty much every faction has about 2-3 good units and nothing else. As I said, no thought into it.

Shogun 2 has most of its roster being useful for one thing or another, even if the factions are mostly identical, the unit roster is a lot richer and more interesting than the dumb warhammer units. The unit balance internally is really good in shogun 2 and you can do a lot of different things with them.

Then again, Warhammer is a badly thought out setting.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Thundercloud posted:

For Warhammer this reflects the source material though.

Yeah, that's true- I guess if you're in it because you love watching warhammer mans on the screen and like to zoom in than Warhammer total war is going to be the best, and if you're in it for the tactics, total war isn't really the game for it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NTRabbit posted:

This is true (though most people say 10mm rather than 15mm), which is why we pushed hard to ensure Warpath: Firefight existed, a skirmish game of a similar size to Bolt Action, and that it received enough attention to be good - we knew better than Mantic that Firefight would be the vastly more played and popular game going forward, so it needed to not be treated like a red headed step child next to the management favourite of "mass battles".

Unfortunately, from what i've read of the rules it feels like a very slapdash adaptation of Warpath. We'll see if it improves. Deadzone is actually a really solid game for what it is and had a lot more care put into it than either Warpath or Firefight.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cinnamon Bear posted:

On the topic of non-GW scifi games, I just got done watching a Rogue Stars Let's Play, and I'm torn between thinking its so random its endearing and is low-cost/fast enough that it might be fun as an experience generator, and that it's so random it would absolute dreadful to play as a game. I really do think the Malifaux card resolution has broken me and I just don't like dice anymore. Looks like the PDF is only available through Osprey at the moment though, so I haven't had a chance to read the full rules yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71OHehKktk

Yeah, a lot of the Osprey games have a very "experience generator" type design philosophy, where you roll on a lot of tables and see what you get.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I do want to say how thankful I am for GMG though, as it helps me see what games I'm actually interested in before I spend money. On the topic of Mantic, watching him play Kings of War basically convinced me that while it's undoubtedly better than AOS/Warhammer, it looked incredibly boring and there didn't seem to be a lot of meaningful decisions and way too many buckets of dice. It may just be that I'm developing a strong aversion to dice, though. Maybe it's PTSD from having played Imperial Guard 10 years ago.

Kings of War has more to it than it might appear but you tend to be committed to plays due to the lack of maneuverability in the formations(it's why comp lists tend to feature a fuckton of individuals/monsters because they are fairly maneuverable). It also has some balance problems. GMG is kind of bad at games though not as bad as MWG.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda like Mantic's enforcers because they play into a more modern elite motif and emphasize mobility over 'has the biggest gun and the heaviest armor'(that's the forgefathers in their setting).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Runewars might be good but i suspect if it fails itll be because hardcore minis guys will thumb their nose at it the way they do x-wing and it being too expensive for other kinds of players.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ultiville posted:

I've got the FFG wargames in basic stock. Infinity and Malifaux don't even appear to be offered through my distributor, so I'd have to try to expand my network to carry them, and it doesn't seem like anyone around here plays.

Small wargames seem super hard to stock at a store, even at Pandemonium which is much larger than mine, we never had much success with anything but the big ones. (40k, Warmahordes, X-Wing.)

Yeah, the problem is that a lot of small wargames don't move and take up inordinate amounts of shelf space.

I'm reminded of a bookshelf of flames of war early war stuff that sat there for three years.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spectralent posted:

FoW isn't exactly small (at least in the UK; but then Malifaux isn't either, so far as I can tell), but it has the issue that really tiny amounts of people need tiny amounts of specific stuff. T-34s don't sit (usually), but T-26 earlies do.

In the US it's very hit-or-miss. There's a couple hotspots for it but it's dead everywhere else.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I mean, fantasy needed a big change, too, but uh, not age of sigmor.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Well, might as well use the stuff from bolt action.

Bolt action actually went from xdx blast to templates again in 2nd edition for some reason.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You could literally smear poop on a book and it'd be a good rulebook for the "forge the narrative" crowd.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Why does gw even bother running stores? game stores are a shitshow in terms of profitability

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think infinity has a lot of problems but silhouettes aren't one of them.

The amount of secrecy in the game, however, is, and it's to the point where squinting at people's tournament trays and keeping track of real lists vs courtesy lists, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

anti_strunt posted:

Could you expand on how the activation system works?

Basically, you have nine initiative rounds, and you dial in an action that has an initiative number associated with it secretly before anything happens.

Then everyone with a 1 on their action reveals their dial and acts first, then 2,3,4,etc.

This makes some actions and units much slower than others but newer players might be a bit frustrated at the need to know what the opponent's dial looks like to know what's possible.

• Locked thread