Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I bought Space Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

Mantic's Warpath pledges are now filtering down to their backers and tentative readings of the rulebook (for vanilla Warpath and for Warpath: Firefight) point to it being a good game. So it should do for 40k what KoW did for WHFB in terms of filling that niche.

Quick let's all go into the Age of the Emperor thread and tell them to play Warpath.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

My space dorfs are fabulous.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Wow guys that game looks good and definitely not also-bad

Since I'm only using them for Deadzone right now, I can say yes. It is not a bad game. It is in fact a good game. Jury is still out on Warpath.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Thoughts on Space Hulk:

The models are drat near unusable given the size of the squares on the tile. The rules are laid out poorly and it can be difficult to find a definitive answer to questions that creep up. The missions are really unbalanced and the Marine player basically has to get lucky repeatedly with Command Points in order to stand a chance (I won Suicide Mission on my first try, but only because I drew 6 3x in a row). Mechanically I didn't mind how things were resolved and liked that you just needed to succeed one roll to score a kill.

Things that might be in the rulebook but I couldn't find: If a sergeant rolls a 6 in close assault, does that become a 7? For the purposes of the heavy flamer, is a "section" defined solely as a single interlocking tile or the entire stretch of corridor? When a boarding torpedo lands in a section, which square does it land on or is it player's choice?

That said, the game uses atmosphere and if you can forgive it its flaws, it makes for a fine evening. There's nothing stopping me from subbing the unruly models with things that are both smaller and less likely to be knocked over but that makes me question why the pricetag was so high to begin with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Apparently they're reprinting Rogue Trader this year. I, uh, might give GW money.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Radish posted:

Sounds like you can only get it at Warhammer World or "select events" which is lovely since I can't think of any select GW events worth going to even if they didn't massively over charge for Games Day.

The wording is coy. They say first available at the event, but that leaves it open to be sold later online or in stores.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I do want to say how thankful I am for GMG though, as it helps me see what games I'm actually interested in before I spend money. On the topic of Mantic, watching him play Kings of War basically convinced me that while it's undoubtedly better than AOS/Warhammer, it looked incredibly boring and there didn't seem to be a lot of meaningful decisions and way too many buckets of dice. It may just be that I'm developing a strong aversion to dice, though. Maybe it's PTSD from having played Imperial Guard 10 years ago.

Kings of War has lots of meaningful decisions. Where you place your troops is very important because as you leave your deployment area you need units to support each other without getting in the way of one another. Once your opponent starts moving, how you move your units enters a new stage of decision making. You might need to change where a unit or two were going to respond to a threat, but in doing so you'll block the movement of something else. This might force you to commit to one area and abandon another. If you destroy an enemy unit in melee, if you choose to advance, retreat, hold, or change facing can have huge implications on yours and you opponent's following turns. There are literally too many possibilities to type them all up, but you might have to consider trying to get out of the charge range of an opponent, or angling your facing to prevent a flank charge, or running forward to grab an objective.

It goes deeper than that of course. I've had lots of games where the time I spent on my turn wasn't doing things but weighing risk. Should I charge with the cavalry this turn and hope they survive a counter-charge while my support units catch up or do I risk letting my opponent get a better position in the meantime? Where is it best to concentrate my fire? Am I likely to cause anything to waver or break or should I try and spread out damage evenly? Which of my three spells is the best one to cast this turn? Should I heal? Should I increase how hard a unit hits? Or should I go offensive with a lightning bolt?

Yes, the resolution mechanic is random, but your skills and position can shift the odds of you being successful on your rolls. It's not perfect, but it works fairly well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The RedLetterMedia piece on Rogue One where they re-edit A New Hope to be like Rogue One is pretty funny. I rewatched TFA last night and it was pretty good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A goon sent me the plastic High Elf chariot because I bitched so much about how awful the Mantic chariots are. :3:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Moola posted:

if the 40k thread is the bad thread, is the AoS thread the sad thread?

No, the old Warhammer thread is the sad thread.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I played Kings of War today. gently caress Dwarves.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bombogenesis posted:

I liked the most recent discussion about game design and that thread needs more of that.

Yeah but those conversations have to be had in good faith.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

What makes them so anger-inducing?

Defense 6 regiments, Steel Behemoths, their loving heroes, and Headstrong, and overall good stats on just about everything. I know Headstrong is their army special ability but gently caress me when it's combined with everything else. Oh they're slow I guess, not that it's ever mattered.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

Slow and they can't take the Heal spell naturally. But yeah, I can see how that can be infuriating to deal with, particularly the Steel Behemoth. Why the gently caress is that Def6?

Dwarfs have a handful of different types of units they can take. Their basic unit is the Ironclad, which come in the standard Troop/Regiment/Horde sizes and are Me 4+ with De 5+. They're tough but not unreasonable. My friend looked at that and said, "Nah," because for 160 points he could take a regiment of Ironguard that are Me 3+, De 6+, and Ne 15/17. So he basically has nothing but super elite infantry in his army. We played a 2500 point game yesterday where he supported his regiments of elite infantry with hordes of Basileans, giving Wings of Honeymaze to one of his Dwarf characters for just that added punch of synergy. Did you know the Basilean dragon is also Headstrong? Like I can't blame luck for losing because that's how the dice worked out, but he never failed a Headstrong roll and even with Crushing Strength and Piercing, I still mostly needed 5+'s to hurt his units. And then of course he screened his army with his Stealth Dwarf Rangers and a horde of spearmen with The Fog so even with Elite and Piercing I'm still having a hard time hitting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shadin posted:

It's always been sad to me that people don't realize West End Games created Star Wars. Lucas had literally nothing fleshed out that wasn't directly in the three movies at the time.

Honestly I don't see that as a bad thing. It's been in the fleshing out of Star Wars that it got truly terrible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They could at least put a bottle opener on it.

According to the video there was one, but it took the guy in the video two tries to open a bottle with it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If it's not in the movies, I don't see how you could possibly care. Every time people talk about wanting more Star Wars I don't think they actually mean it. What they mean is that they want more "hero's journey" style stories where an average person rises up to claim their destiny while overcoming adversity, falling in love, and saving the day. Star Wars is just a version of that. It's why Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprise hit. It tells basically the same story, but in a fresh and interesting way. It's also why every time there's a new Star Wars movie, everyone has a list a million items long about how it failed or succeeded. Everyone knows they like "Star Wars" as a concept, but very few people are actually capable of expressing why and I would hazard to say it's because people don't really like Star Wars at all. They like the archetypes that Star Wars uses, which are the same archetypes that have been used thousands of times in storytelling.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Captain Rufus posted:

I disagree with all of this completely.

That's fine, but if you look at what are considered the "good" movies over the last 20 years, it's either a rehash or a mediocre war film without any characters. There's just not much to the Star Wars universe. RedLetterMedia made a really great point when they said that despite how big the galaxy supposedly is, there's just not much you can do with it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Thirsty Dog posted:

The RLM video about The Force Awakens was hot garbage so there's that.

I thought it was on point. There's really not a lot to say about the movie.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shadin posted:

Saying there isn't much to it or much you can do with it makes it painfully obvious that you're not familiar with the WEG RPG sources we were talking about.

Yeah I haven't read it myself. I'm not sure "painfully" is the word I'd pick to describe my lack of familiarity with RPG sourcebook material though. Post something from it. Blow me away with how amazing it is.

Moola posted:

this post reads like you watched the Rouge one video and then absorbed it as your opinion

When they're right they're right. I disagree with them on the overall quality and enjoyability of the films, but you can't pretend they aren't thin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Atlas Hugged posted:

Post something from it. Blow me away with how amazing it is.

Or is this going to be like the Thrawn trilogy where everyone who read it when they were 13 swears into their 20s how amazing it is because they've never revisited it but anyone who picked it up for the first time in their 20s set it down after a paragraph to go drink and get laid.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ijyt posted:

And yet the latest Rogue One videos have a ton of RLM fans disagreeing with them. Their HiaB review was especially dumb.

Calling a critique dumb isn't a particularly useful statement. What specifically do you disagree with? It was a movie with an abundance of thin characters, poor pacing and editing, and a plot that failed to deliver on a simple premise (spies steal the Deathstar plans). Where I disagree with them is how detrimental those things were to the movie overall given its competent direction, excellent visuals, engaging sequences, and gritty depiction of the Rebellion. For me that makes the movie solidly passable, but hardly a masterpiece and distinctly worse than the original trilogy or The Force Awakens.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ijyt posted:

Mostly the whole "lets shout STORMTROOPERS! AT-AT! references are dumb! This was meant to be a standalone movie!" every few minutes because a Star Wars movie has them. Also not sure how the plot failed to deliver on them stealing the plans?

e: to clarify, I didn't think the movie was particularly good or bad, but a lot of their arguments seemed really petty.

This seems like a really selective criticism of RLM since that's how they approach every media franchise they dislike. Star Wars is just the most extreme version. As far as failing to deliver on the spy plot, it's because there wasn't one. They put on some uniforms and then waited for a distraction before climbing a tall thing and fighting to the death in a corridor. We knew from the opening scene that the movie would end with the Rebellion getting the plans, but they didn't make the actual acquisition of said plans particularly interesting. Since we didn't care about the characters there basically wasn't any tension at all. They either needed to make the characters more interesting so we gave a poo poo when they started dropping or they needed to make the plan to get the plans intriguing. They failed on both accounts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Peak DS9 is season 3 of Babylon 5.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was painting up some of my new plastic Enforcers for Deadzone and my wife looked at a couple of was shocked to realize that they were women and the only way you could tell was because of the face and hair. She considered this a nice change of pace compared to the Ral Partha fairies I was doing on commission which were the tittiest, assiest models I've ever done.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

fnordcircle posted:

Have you heard of our lord and savior Kings of War?

To be fair they're still historical models, they can just be used in Kings of War with little hassle.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Liquid Communism posted:

Zero g calls for compression undies, yo.

George Lucas posted:

There is no underwear in space.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
No one who isn't from China is going to learn Mandarin in the near or far future. Regardless of how Firefly implemented the language it ain't happening. If somehow Mandarin became a cultural force to rival English (which it won't), English would just absorb any Mandarin it was exposed to, like with the expression "Long time no see."

For more details on why no one is going to learn Mandarin, see the China thread in GBS.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Doesn't something like one out of every 8 people alive speak Mandarin? That seems pretty wide spread IMHO

How likely are you to need to speak to a Chinese farmer or factory worker? Sure, lots of people speak Mandarin, but they're not people that are going to have any influence on global culture or that you will ever personally interact with. Meanwhile, the vast majority of scientific research is published in English. Students across the globe use English textbooks to study medicine and high level science and mathematics. It's going to be loving hard to displace English as the international language regardless of the status of the United States or England.

The other big lie is that everyone in China speaks Mandarin. They don't. They all speak regional dialects and receive some degree of Mandarin through school. But hilariously a lot of people who speak incomprehensible dialects have been told that "it's basically the same as Mandarin" and so have gone on living their lives assuming they speak Mandarin when they don't, which you can imagine is a total clusterfuck when they leave their villages.

The Chinese government has also made sure that China will produce no movies, television, or books worth consuming. And if a Chinese pop song ends up being good, you don't need to speak the language in any capacity to enjoy it (see: Gangnam Style for proof of concept).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I bet people once thought french or Latin will be the dominant language for scientific inquiry for eternity too. gently caress English, it's terrible.

Far be it from me to predict what will happen in the next two hundred years, but you're basically ignoring all historical context with this post and it's a truly awful comparison to try to make.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hamshot posted:

Latin I can believe because for a time a majority of scientists were employed by the catholic church, but French?

As for the best reason English makes for a bad scientific language, I present the Dr Fox lecture wherein an actor recited a lecture of nonsense to a group of researchers and received an ovation for it, due to his lexicon using lots of really really big scary words that make you sound smrat.

This to me is a condemnation of academia and not of English as a scientific language. It doesn't really matter if English is good at being the international language because it already holds that status and the work is being done and published in English.

The issue with Latin and why it fell out of favor was because it was an unnecessary barrier between research and progress. The language was well dead by that point outside of the Church itself and eventually people doing work got sick of having to write poo poo in a language they didn't speak. At one point they even experimented with a truly "scientific" language called the universal character and a few things were even written and published in it before it was abandoned for whatever language the philosopher or scientist spoke. Then you have British Imperialism spreading English to every corner of the planet and the American hegemony cementing English's legacy.

But at this point just the sheer volume of work done in English guarantees that it is an absolute necessity to speak and work in it to be able to participate in the majority of fields since all of the modern foundational work and original research is in English. There's the odd field where you need to speak German or whatever but those are an exception.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Biscuits posted:

You're right of course, but to be fair this was true of Latin too.

Not really. Latin was only used in the west. The Islamic world read it but translated it into Arabic and responded in Arabic. Past that it wasn't used at all. English is on every corner of the planet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Biscuits posted:

At the point that Latin-speaking European high culture changed to the vernacular, everything was in Latin or Latin translations (and some Greek) and they still made the jump. So the vast amount of work being done in English isn't really an issue to it eventually being superseded as the nearest thing to the world's common language.

Characteristica universalis is p neat, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds like some Glass Bead Game poo poo.

I don't doubt that English could eventually be overtaken as the common language of Earth, but it won't be by Mandarin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yeah which is what I originally posted to say, it just doesn't come across.

Perhaps if you posted in Mandarin using traditional characters as God intended we wouldn't be having this problem.

台灣第一名。

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Biscuits posted:

英文非常漂亮,但是寫漢字太麻煩啊!

因為你在外國學校讀所以你總是失望了。

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cinnamon Bear posted:

わかりません :smith:

鬼子來了~

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Biscuits posted:

不好意思,我看不懂

只是日本泥土的農夫。

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cinnamon Bear posted:

モデレータ???

開玩笑,日本第四名.中國第二十名.

Bad Moon posted:

Guys I already tried reading that moon language to put together my Bandai pocket Star Destroyer

The Chinese Century is here and it's starting in this thread.

Pash posted:

我不知道我在说什么。猪肉土豆日落冷冻器怪物捣碎猴子猴子猴子猴子!

你娘烤好

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I saw some of those for sale in Bangkok and they were exceptionally expensive.

• Locked thread