Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I'm not fond of premeasurement bans but I don't agree that it's inherently illegitimate to have physical skill components in a tabletop game. Lots of games include physical skills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Leperflesh posted:

Not "illegitimate," no. My mom can't play basketball either, but basketball is still cool and good.

But I think if you have a mechanic that is unnecessary because there are alternative approaches, and also it gives people with a physical advantage a game advantage, then it's probably better to use one of those alternative approaches, yeah.

yes, the softer version of "avoid gratuitous use of physical skill mechanics in otherwise non-physical games" seems pretty reasonable to me

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

lol. I cant tell if this is a serious post or not.

I mean this is the thread where people unironically defend 40k now so who knows

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

dmnz posted:

Serious post.

rest frequency doesn't fix rate of change problems unless you're increasing the number of fights between rests at every level, which sounds awful. it also breaks down the second you have some climactic fight that's more important than the other ones

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Part of 40ks problem is the inability to respond to the opponents list. If we are playing a 2k game and I have 2k of guard painted, I'm bringing that regardless of if you are bringing a horde list or some mechanized thing.

Or if I'm playing at a friends house or a store or whatever I've got whatever I've bought.

This makes things extremely difficult for game balance as, as currently constructed, list building is a huge part of the game.

I've lost games before even putting a model in the table because I didn't pick a list that could do anything with the opponents list

This inability to flex forces means that you need to be able to shoot everything with anything to avoid huge chunks of dead weight on your list

this is a real problem, but it's one that basically every other miniatures game handles better

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

dmnz posted:

Granted, more encounters, and more difficult encounters between rests is necessary, and not thats much of a problem imo.
It's up to the players to keep some resources in reserve for a climactic fight. There is no tension in the game otherwise.

you completely missed the point, which is that the "rest-limited" character will still be much stronger in the fights that actually matter. and yes, increasing the number of encounters per rest more and more as you go up in level is obviously a problem, wtf

you're also pretty obviously wrong if you think the only source of tension in the game is resource conservation, although that's not particularly relevant

Avenging Dentist posted:

My solution to the wizard problem was always to be careful about what spells the wizards actually find (and therefore can use) in spellbooks, but the fact that D&D makes you go through that level of effort to balance your game is kind of ridiculous.

this is also not a great solution, but fortunately there *is* a good solution, which is to play a game that bothered to balance it's spellcaster classes against its non-caster classes. you can even do so while still playing d&d!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

dmnz posted:

What game are you talking about here?
4e d&d

Chill la Chill posted:

A few of us here are refugees from the old grognards.txt threads. We have experienced these things, and we are very opinionated about them for good reason. A lot of them sound like funny hypotheticals, but hoo boy if you actually played a campaign long enough with one of "those guys." There wouldn't be as much of a problem if book of 9 swords was also standard, but go figure that a lot of nerds vs. jock proponents wizards who have an axe to grind didn't like that supplement for some reason.

it's not really a "those guys" problem, a wizard that just takes some save-or-suck spells is way better than a core fighter (assuming from the bo9s references you're talking about 3.5e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

Wouldn't it be down to player agency, though? Fighters are restricted by their items but they're also enabled by them, right? What's to stop the fighter from saying to the DM, "I want some boots that make me run fast and fly high! Give me some Cocaine Clogs, man!"?

fighters have literally zero extra ability to use items compared to any other class though?

• Locked thread