Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Two screens is actually cool and good. I love it. Look at how tiny one screen is when our phones have become larger for more screen space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wait til they find out about scrunts

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That pic is ripe for the ol' angery meme

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

I didn't say they wouldn't; just that I would understand why if they didn't. Do you want them to invalidate everything or not?

To make a better game? Hell yes. That's literally what happened with D&D4e and it was :krad:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Trench runs on knights owns. It's one of those accidental things that are actually good. Problem is, IIRC there were no movement penalties for rotating so facing doesn't really matter anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Skeleton King posted:

I always just called him T-zeenie.
T-dog or "Theodore" is also acceptable.

Ugleb posted:

I haven't actually played 40k in something like 15 years but my impression is that it needs a clean break and hard reset. Carrying over old codices from edition to edition means that you can't really fix underlying issues cleanly because everything needs to be backwards compatible.

It would not be a bad thing to strip army rosters back to units that have a purpose. While invalidating old units is always going to cause an amount of upset, keeping them in isn't really helping. Allowing players to use the defunct units as proxies might help soften the blow and build some goodwill in the transition and as things pan out new opportunities to reimagine them might appear.

Ultimately all things pass. They should probably try to keep anything recently released (at least as an official proxy) but trying to retain rules for two decades of releases across a dozen factions isn't going to work.
How mad would warham grognards be if you rolled over all the models into fewer unit types? I think one of the most incredibly freeing things was playing frostgrave and being able to use any cool model that roughly fits X archetype into this or that profile. Imagine if you could use either Dreadnoughts or Centurions or GK babywalkers with the Dreadnought profile. :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can tell the people who really love the models and those who just buy them for play power reasons based on their view of that "problem." It's actually funny that you can see who actually believes in the "forge your narrative" and modeling and story stuff despite most GW whales claiming that's why they buy the models. Like holy poo poo if I were allowed to use the star viper as any other wang I would buy 3 more because they look so nice. I would buy 2 more ghosts to use as other freighter-bombers because lol space whales.

The wargear system is how X wing works and it's wonderful.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The rad thread is the byob one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saint Drogo posted:

my only takeaway from this thread is that people who Give GW Money are much happier, in general :ohdear:

Idk dude, I'm really enjoying my $12 Chicago express and even my $100 food chain magnate games, compared to the $100 tau mech I also bought. That continues to sit in the box unpainted while I get utility from working on these gundam figures that have an internal skeleton.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

what dudes are you working on?

I got the Bearguy P and almost done with the RG from seed I got from HK 4 years ago lol. Finally getting an airbrush compressor so I'm excited to try it out on these. But first I will build the Ork stompa a friend gave to me as a gift to practice on since at least any mistakes there will be fine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

I nearly bought a gundam model last week

couldnt decide what to start with though; man they were such good value though!
The Bearguy series (there's even a panda and a dad with kid) is a good one to start with. Or jump right in with real grade featuring internal skellingtons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welp, looks like I just found the pieces I need to place on the "Rebels" Ghost ship.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

RGs are really cool, but after doing a few, I can't go back to HGs. They just feel so boring to build compared to RG now.

:agreed: But until they make an Acguy RG, no real choice. Also, looking at your av, I was just chatting @ moola that I'm gonna get some sort of gundam to make into a fantastic Jojo character. The boots and high fashion huge shoulders already fit

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

Its easy to make articulated models when its all just flat panels with no detail on. I picked up a himock for the scale modelling thread challenge and I do not understand the hype at all. :confused:

Odd that GW can't do the same thing with tau mechs.

Avenging Dentist posted:

No guys you see this one robot that looks exactly the same as this other robot is actually very different.
Well yeah.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well it's a good thing they are at $20 action figure prices then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

Seriously? Some of the prices people talk about in the Gunpla thread are insane.

You keep talking about the Acguy and similar robots, which are ~$20.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

You're being incredibly disingenuous. Lots of people spend hundreds of dollars on them and just snap them together on a stand with their transparent glowy lego swords.

I'm not saying people don't put a ton of time into them and paint them (I said as much several posts ago) but those don't get posted here much.

And there's people who buy a forgeworld kit and cover it with greenstuff boobs and a heavy brush. :confused:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

Gundam is just the sacred cow that noone can ever criticise because ITS GOOD
Correct.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FrostyPox posted:

Apparently on GW's facebook they're insisting that what's going on in 40K right now isn't "The End Times". I dunno, mate, obliterating Fenris, destroying Biel-Tan, and the incarnation of the Laughing God sure seems pretty end-timesy. DIdn't Cadia also get destroyed or something in the first book?
Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Business Gorillas posted:

Some gw promoter told serious Gaylord that they weren't squatting any armies to his face so take from that what you will

What the heck, serious gaylord can take some serious abuse. :stare:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

muggins posted:

I actually noticed the new tzeentch demon is 70 pounds, or 115 usd, while the true exchange rate should be 87. I've noticed mantic and warlord do this as well. I can understand not wanting to have to change prices based on exchange rates all the time, but it's not even close. Is this even legal?

Welcome to Australia's pricing he'll. :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So the Nova Open just opened for registration today. I saw this for the 40k GT: https://novaopenstore.com/NoVACart/Home/EventItem/1056

So, holy moly it's $70 just for the tournament. It cost me that much for the convention pass and x-wing tournament pass. But look at the schedule, which is insane:

Price: $70.00
Instructor / Organizer: Phil Rodokanakis and Neil Gilstrap
Max Attendees: 256
Date(s):
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 1)
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 2)
01:30 PM - 04:30 PM
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 3)
05:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 4)
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 5)
01:30 PM - 04:30 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 6)
05:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Sun 9/03/2017 - (Round 7)
11:30 AM - 02:30 PM
Sun 9/03/2017 - (Round 8)
03:00 PM - 06:00 PM
:psyduck:

Looking at the primer is also a laugh, as always. It's 20 pages. e: lol just noticed on the bottom of page 16 is a link to an FAQ which is another 35 pages.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

You need to relax dude. What part of this being a chance for cool casual dudes to bro down while chucking dice don't you get? Its about the people, not the high prices of admission, travel, and accommodation. It's about the good times not the punishing schedule, or the tidal wave of rules, or the busted games being played. Seriously, what's your problem?

You're right. I forgot about the fly casual x-wing mantra: hang out with your wang out. I've been the grognard

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Radish posted:

Eight rounds what the hell? Is that how these things run now? I can't remember playing in one more than five. I can't remember if NOVA was always like that since I was more familiar with the Fantasy side. It sounds exhausting.

Tournaments trying to "fix" GW games are always the best since the games are so broken you really should just accept it outside of a few glaring issues. NOVA used to have a lot of house rules to patch up the holes in 40k which was its favorite child while the other games were all pushed into the other hall. I wonder if that's still the case.

Fifty-plus pages of rules. As for love child, well, I think they've been using pictures from the big x-wing tournament on the front page the past couple years now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will willingly, but begrudgingly, play forbidden stars as a 3-hour game. I don't like fiddly ameritrash games as much but here I am trying to plan out a campaign for north africa game with my friends. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcjomar posted:

Here's an inside pic.

And I guess they updated and changed cypher's model because GW isn't really bothered with little things like consistency.

The T H I C C calves and puny thighs on what I assume is Guilliman is really throwing me off. :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You know, I was thinking that maybe the age of the emperor stuff was cool in good in that it'll shut up those fanboys who loved talking about what would happen if/when the emperor was woke, but now I'm thinking it would probably be worse since they'd say it shouldn't have happened this way because of some tiny bit of background trivia from a book or WD issue from 20 years ago.

I also wonder if these same people who made constant holy hand grenade jokes right before I left are still making them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:argh: GW stop encouraging them with your AOS rules :argh:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

tbf, how do you "see the greatness in the eyes' of an infant? All babies can do is poo poo and cry for like the first 3 months of their existence
Remus and Romulus.

Ashcans posted:

Am I the only one that thinks its weird that the Primarchs are apparently like 25 feet tall? I always got that they were supposed to be ubermensch, but in the realm of actual people not like literal giants. It makes their backstory really weird, too. You have stories of primarchs like Lion El'Jonson and Janhatai Khan who were integrated into pseudo-medieval socieities and were adopted sons of rulers and stuff, and it makes sense if you imagine them like Conan-style supermen besting standing head above everyone and besting anyone in combat, but those stories are super weird if they're actually supposed to be enormous dudes. Like the background is all 'The king found the feral youth and recognized the fire of greatness in his eye', when it should really be 'the king rode into the clearing and said 'holy poo poo that baby is as big as a cow, get that fucker in a cart I want him on my side boys'.
We could give them the benefit of the doubt and say these are more abstract representations of the "greatness of his heart" or something but I have a feeling it's supposed to be literal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Emperor Titans are actually 1:1 scale clones of the Emperor, like an Evangelion but with a crotch laser and a cathedral on their back.

The souls of the machines are the mothers of the people who use them, checks out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The goat man is a chill and good person. Please do not insinuate his rear end is also anything but(t).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stay safe, thread bunny!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

I spent 2,5 hours today setting up terrain, playing an Infinity game and packing away the table. It was a lot of "fun". My thermo optic camouflaged heavy infantry dude jumped out and shot a robot, his giant armored robot shot my heavy infantry dudes. I won by covering the objective with a smoke grenade, run a heavy infantry dude into contact with it and used my last order to shoot a huge blast of red hot metal through the smoke to kill his guy that was contesting it.

Meanwhile the 40k players where still playing their game that they had started before I got to the club.

Tfw you finish an entire x-wing tournament in the span of a single 40k game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Enentol posted:

Our hobby nights have gone from single game of 40k to three games of Bolt Action. :mil101:

:wedass:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I lost the link to the funny EOW 40k comics again, but pretend I posted the apocalypse.jpg series here.

So placeholder in case I find them

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Who does the studio art for frostgrave? I love their clean style which reminds me of 90s GW era minis but it's not quite the same. Can't put my finger on it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

the slightly more realistic proportions, more grounded outfits and equipment and different bases?

That could be it, but both have the cleaner style and yet the frost stuff seems much nicer. Could be the lighting and photography but the style looks slightly different. I think it's that mix of a cel shaded look with using washes to keep other areas dirty. That green huntsman to the right and the lost gold rush prospector to the left :drat:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would buy a GW worker placement game with servitors buzzing around cutting wheat or storing grain. Heck, make it like Stone Age since they absolutely ~need~ dice in there somewhere. Have Robutt be the chieftain first player marker.

• Locked thread