Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Me to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The issue with the X-Com game is that in the end most of the roles just end up being variants of push-your-luck with very similar mechanism. So one role might place planes on a map (and then use push-your-luck mechanisms to get a result) and another places dude on an encounter (and then uses push-your-luck mechanisms to get a result). The only role that has meaningful decisions is the scientist, because you have to decide what to research. All other roles just try to prevent bad stuff from happening.

Space Alert, strangely, has more distinctive roles while at the same time not really having a defined, strict role guideline like X-Com.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

I bought Total Warhammer. It's in a humble bundle so I got it for $12. That's more my speed when it comes to paying for video games. It has an OBNOXIOUS AMOUNT of DLC though. Holy gently caress, half factions are behind pay walls.
You get a lot of bang for your buck from the base game alone and the game is fun at least.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and a friend of mine are playing a Co-op campaign, with him being Grimgor and commanding the Orcs and me being Wurrzag and commanding the Savage Orcs. We played on Very Hard and decided not to save-scum and the Orc start is very difficult. My friend lost Black Crag and at one point I ended up with just Ekrund but now we consolidated the southern badlands and are pushing north, destroying dwarven armies as we go. Would recommend Co-op campaigns if you can rope a friend in.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The defining moment for me of Ep1 is when Qui-Gon dies, and Obi-Wan is all angry, and instead of using his anger to attack like Luke did on RotJ, he goes back to the silly pirouettes that had filled the previous 10 minutes of the fight against Maul. The fight lacked emotion, much like the rest of the prequel trilogy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Death Thread poster: "Star Wars"

Rest of Thread: *Autistic Screeching*
This is incorrect, because it makes it sound like there wasn't autistic screeching prior to star wars being mentioned.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

:yeah: I like the FFG Star Wars RPG myself. I threw away the idea that verisimilitude was in any way good a long time ago from the grognards.txt threads, but I didn't really know how much I hated it until I started playing lots of board games and recognizing the value of abstraction. The difference between, say, Chicago Express and 1846 is that of accounting and number crunching, but ultimately, how much more do you get out of the 18xx than chicago express, when CE gets the feel and playstyle right anyway? The 18xx is deeper, sure, but does it offer that much more enjoyment than the much lighter game? The other thing I realized was the difference between depth of play and complexity. Food Chain Magnate is a good one. Extremely simple game. It's dominion, but with a board. Just do what the cards say. But it's a hard game to play right and it's extremely punishing and satisfying. However, there's no hidden gotchas or bullshit rules that are hidden at the bottom of page 62.
I think that 18XX and CE are different enough in feel that making the comparison is not quite as valid. CE feels like playing a Euro with a traintrack building theme and I don't get that same feeling playing 18XX, where i actually feel like I'm manipulating a stock market/railroad company:

On the other I'm personally a crazy person that doesn't mind complexity or huge rulesets because I play board wargames and enjoy all and think minis wargamers (which I used to be one) should just simply upgrade to board wargames if they are looking for mechanically tight games and are not too bothered about the lack of minis.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ideally we should put everyone that posts about GWS/WH/40k/AoS in a separate forum so that they don't pollute the rest of TG any more

make it happen mods

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ijyt posted:

This is a sad post, you understand that those threads are pillars of this subforum? Without them you don't have much of a subforum left. :(
tgd is stronger than those threads, we were prospering before the incursion of warhammer posters, ie the dark times

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

JackMack posted:

Don't worry death thread, there was a counter strike in the 40k thread and thanks to a fairly lazy troll we have had to endure twenty four hours of "why aren't there female space marines... " for the millionth loving time. It turns out we are all dickheads. Who would have thought it?
more evidence that supports my 'to the gulag' solution

make it happen

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

This thread goes a step farther and advocates for hex-and-chit games.
This but unironically.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TTerrible posted:

ITS A COPY AND PASTE. DONT REPLY TO IT. :downsbravo:
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

the logical evolution is that both sides just c+p arguments from elsewhere until the entire thing becomes a huge argument by proxy and passerbys don't know what the gently caress

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TTerrible posted:

I'm hoping that was several pages back or this is real loving bad.
search your feelings and you will find the answer

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

how can posts be real if this thread isn't real

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

spectralent posted:

Metal Gear Rising remains the best game of the decade.
RULES OF NATURE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I flipped through the Osprey Ronin ruleset and it had rolling for turn priority, the same thing AOS has but written in 2013. :vomarine: Guess I'll have to see if test of honour is any better.
The Operational Combat Series has initiative rules that don't have any modifiers, but, crucially, the opponent has some input on what happens in the opponent's turn. I wrote blog post about this very thing.

Context in system rules matter, and a mechanism that works for one game might not be good in another.

• Locked thread