Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I like this thread, the other op was some dire poo poo.

doing p well on the not giving GW money front here because I'm learning to love Vallejo paints even though half of them are hosed when you buy em. :thumbsup:

E: and the new sisters of battle suck. More spindly floating bullshit and a sigmarine paintjob woop woop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

My space dorfs are fabulous.
Christmas scrunt exchange

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

moisture farms lol

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

So 40k end times part one is here I guess, nice to see the game that actually needs/deserves the sigmo treatment getting it? :shrug: it looks like theyre doing the year long overpriced supplement bonanza again which is pretty twatty IMO.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's a mixed bag. The first book is a campaign book for the fall of Cadia. It has some good stuff in it--a new list for combined SoB/Black Templar armies, which helps both and makes enough sense, some mediocre stuff--there's finally a detachment for taking both types of AdMech+Knights, but you have to buy three loving books to do it, and some bad stuff--there's a new deck of cards you can play with that has WACKY WARP STORM EFFECTS every turn that no one will ever bother to play with.

Supposedly they're moving away from codexes and more toward just doing a bunch of campaign supplements that update armies along the way. It's not the dumbest idea ever, but it'd be insanely expensive to buy them all, since each release is another $60 book. The rumor is GW isn't going "full sigmar" on 40k, but probably taking some cues for it when 8th edition releases at some point this year.
welp, doesn't sound like they're doing anything about the rules bloat and enormous codex/rulebooks tax for new and returning players. I guess all they learned from Sigmar is that nerds dislike shouting FOR THE LADY or cramming bloodletters up their assholes for a +1 hit bonus but love points and loving space marines.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

disgusting. daemonette claw sounding is where it's at.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TTerrible posted:

I can't believe they're going through with it after the reception end times and AOS got
End times generally went down all right, AoS was a shitstorm at launch then they walked back on the worst of it and everyone got used to the rest. :shrug:

I've seen people saying AoS makes shitloads more money than fantasy did too. not people I trust any more than the usual dipshits in this arena, but still.

anyway a 40k end times/AoS just ain't gonna have the same effect whether it goes well or badly. The rules are already a clusterfuck and the setting is already a big infinite mishmash for you to do whatever the hell you like in.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah they definitely aren't scaling back the number of books, but nothing in the new supplement is essential. The rules basically cover 3 new characters and 2 new ways to play existing armies. I have no idea if any of the rules are any good. But then, there's the rub--if they're good enough that you need them, they're forcing you to buy yet another $60 book. If they aren't, then they are wasting everyone's time with lovely rules. This wouldn't be so bad if the core rules and codexes were free or at least much less expensive; then I could get behind repeated purchases of campaign books, which tend to age much better than the codexes/rulebooks.
this is what they did in End Times right before jettisoning the whole system though. people forget it because a) no-one used the new rules except for the new combined armies (which were mostly cool and good) and b) everyone was/is focused the more funny-retarded debacle right afterwards.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

It was 4 extremely long months of zero communication following a p loving unequivocal byebye to the setting, where nobody knew whether fantasy would still exist, which armies if any would survive and in what form...so in a way you're both right. :unsmith:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

No they genuinely think more focus on the 'canon' plotlines is good for setting and story (and so the game i guess?) and are really invested in guys with names like Perturabo.

v :same:, all the way.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 8, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Think it's meant to be more Players In This Drama. If it ain't then GW aren't the only ones to gently caress up.

e: Sven bloodhowl is the most :effort: spwolves name.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Aeldari actually sounds OK to me whereas simon loving templeman couldn't make 'orruks' or 'aelves' sound cool.

My guess is still that the renaming is less to do with IP bullshit and more that GW management are the kind of retarded that thinks these forgettable call-a-rabbit-a- smeerp names actually make them unique or exciting.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's not actual gold it's bits of grimnir (née gotrek) they get high off of

sigmarine armour is not ur-gold anyway. it's sigmarite. :downs:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tangentially, some hilariously specific things from GW games - subterranean ratmen ruled by a council of 13, Chaos in general and the eight pointed star as its symbol - are lifted directly from other settings and a copyright free for all.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

my only takeaway from this thread is that people who Give GW Money are much happier, in general :ohdear:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lotta people getting defensive about their gundams being lovely by a standard only they wanted to hold them to in the first place.

you guys wanted to keep holding your lovely figures up for comparison, no-one comes here to bash them.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is unpainted. GW models don't look very good unpainted and without glue either
this is a pretty good argument for it being a retarded comparison and a pretty retarded one for gundams being good.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

google news suggested an article to me about PETA asking GW to remove fur clothing from their games and i thought it had fallen for some parody site but it turns out:

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peta-warhammer-fur-free/
lmao

Nobody tell them about hollismason.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

LordAba posted:

Just want Rowboat Girlyman? Too bad! Have him in a special package with 2 other shits! Double the price!
if you want this boring twat you deserve to be taxed. :colbert:

all ultramarine purchases should be bundled with something totally unrelated, both to drive the price up and tempt the buyer away from their path of mediocrity.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i'm the spiky cardboard fire.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I'm the three or four disparate products chucked together so any one customer will only really want 25% of what they're paying for.

that's mname don't wear it out.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lmao the release of the prequels birthed lovely pseud Slaanesh, who infected nerds with an endless thirst for sounding like pompous twats in their scramble for a novel or incisive take on the most analyzed kids films of all time.

lotr and sigmarchat was pretty good, too. :smith:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Sisters of silence continue to kick arse. They look easy to convert into fantasy or SoB models too. :neckbeard:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

oh for fucks sake now I see that :shepicide:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Do you not think, that maybe, possibly - a game specifically not designed for tournaments or regulated play like Chess - a game that is centred around lore, artwork, jokes about Thatcher and football hooligans - maybe, just loving maybe - you could tell your opponent to not use the virus grenade/strategy card? Or that if you bought an entire army of Warp Spiders to the table then you could just say 'Congratulations dickhead, you won the pissing contest now I'm going to go play with someone else' ? Do you need every single combination that could be put together to give you an advantage over your opponent explicitly written in the book for you?

I mean poo poo, if you want that kind of thing play Chess, or Go, or Warmachine or whatever - because especially with RT/2nd if you think like that you're going into the whole experience with a mindset that is diametrically opposed to the spirit of this particular game. I'm reading about historical wargaming and frequently they don't have army lists, they don't have points. Frequently there's the expectation that one side is going to lose from the outset. You can be damned sure these people take the game seriously but this slavish devotion to loving over your opponent by taking and making the most broken poo poo you can find from a game where, regardless of your particular proclivities and the recent shoe-horning, the intent and spirit is most definitely along a fun, casual, narrative game between friends.

Do you not think it's better to have a game that's playable as written?

I mean Christ I'm on board with fun as king and not giving a poo poo about optimal design but this is such an extreme and retarded permutation of that approach and it seems to have become a desperate creed for so many 40k/AoS players.

It's still loving terrible for a narrative game to be so badly broken for so many reasons. It fucks over the social side (yeah lol at warham players but it's still a social hobby) and creates a terrible judgemental community where screaming about THAT GUY is a constant issue and an easy out even when the opponent doesn't deserve it (virus bomb warp spider bullshit might be clear cut, 90% of the time it isnt). It encourages this 'only play with your besties' wank for the sake of having a flimsy-rear end excuse for bad design. It hampers people's ability to make whatever themed army they choose when their theme has a decent chance of being broken bullshit by pure coincidence.

It doesn't have to be homogenized tournament poo poo like KoW but a social, narrative, beer and pretzels bweh bweh bweh game is infinitely better served by being relatively balanced and tight instead of encouraging butthurt nerds to police eachother in the name of FUN

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 23, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Saint Drogo, your point about certain combinations being frankly just better than others is also a good one. I don't think this is a game suited to any kind of pickup-game, because you're right that it IS unbalanced.
That's a major strike against it though imo. say what you like about the quality of people in this gay hobby, it's still a hobby and getting out there with people you wouldn't normally chill with is great, especially when you've got cool poo poo to bond over like these models everyone's made their own.

at the end of the day eliminating gamebreakers is not much to ask from a company like GW, and making the game viable for competition doesn't actually take away from anyone's ability to enjoy it as a narrative/casual thing...whereas making it hosed and easily breakable can bring it down for absolutely every type of player.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Open betas like mantic's seem like the perfect way to turn that around.

but at the same time it makes gouging people with retarded rulebook prices less viable so gently caress that i guess.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lol they don't respond to people who don't actually play the game going THIS IS GONNA BE lovely ARE YOU SCARED ARE YOU MAD YET BE MAD

those brokebrain motherfuckers.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

:negative: okay so 'don't respond' was a p high bar to set for tradgames spergs, you know what I mean.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

love and friendship?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

all effortposts should be probatable.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is really weird to want a moratorium on long, thought out posts. We can all get really passionate about Games Workshop (both for and against, granted) so sometimes we can't help but let our passion for the Hobby free.
effortposts are masturbation. I guess that's kinda passionate?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lol cultists cultists CULTISTS :supaburn:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TKIY posted:

Come on now, in KoW war you are tracking whole units who have bases touching and homogenous weapon options. In 40K/AoS you are tracking individual models each with their own weapon selections.

Hardly the same thing.
and many (actually most now) KoW models and units have no actual models so of course they manage, they have to

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

More miniatures...costs more money?? :psyboom:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

jfc what is the point of this? They've just ruined a striking art style by cutting random tit windows in it when it doesn't fit it all. Go all in and make loving elf ladies in chainmail bikinis if you want to go that way, commit to the high fantasy heavy metal poo poo.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

tbh Doing Different is like 5% of making an interesting or fun story/setting and the rest normally works better using your space opera style sci-fi/fantasy races than going full Olaf Stapledon. Unless you're doing serious hard sci-fi or you want to make the alien-ness of the aliens and universe a main theme, bring on the rubber foreheads and space elves.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I got a set of Runewars for free at Adepticon and immediately sold it. The giant chunky movement trays and pile of rulers and stat cards behind every unit look kind of terrible, to be honest. I did not, however, realize that the models were on individual round bases. I thought they were attached to the bases in a KoW fashion.

And yeah, that painting guide would not have been free were it from GW.

Yeah, those are definitely some kickass skellies. I would have thought they would have used regular skeleton sprues for this, rather than new sculpts. Sadly, it will probably be like $50 for a box of like 8.

EDIT: Also, I loving hate calling skeletons "deathrattles." :inchoate rage:
i am gonna buy the hell out of those skellies whatever they cost so I hope they come as part of a retarded boxed game people buy for one part of and flog the rest. That'snot too much to ask from GW right?

And deathrattle is a faction name, skeletons are still called skeletons dude.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Those are weirdobucks before anyone starts jerking off, the UK prices are pretty average (£15 for main character gently caress that, £50 for big boat ehhh, £27.50 for unit). The boat is pretty sweet.

Kharandon Overlords remains a terrible name. At least Steamhead Duardin left some kind of loving impression.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

so you're saying we shouldn't lust for economic collapse so we can get cheap space barbies??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

its been predicted and welcomed everywhere lol, including by most 40k players.

• Locked thread