Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ettin posted:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these goons from the swift completion of their appointed posts.

Well of course not, that would imply goons go outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadin posted:

It's always been sad to me that people don't realize West End Games created Star Wars. Lucas had literally nothing fleshed out that wasn't directly in the three movies at the time.

Apparently Sam Witwer actually gave Dave Filoni his old WEG sourcebooks when they were working together on Clone Wars. I'm like 60% certain that provided a great deal of the template for Rebels. As in, they statted up the characters and the cartoon is just an animated reconstruction of their RPG campaign.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadin posted:

Yeah, it's insane to think of how much they created. Lucas had no alien names that weren't specifically spoken, no planet names, no corporations/models of equipment, no galaxy maps, nada. Most of what people consider 'Star Wars' like Hutts and Twi'leks and Corellian Engineering YT-1300 transports all came from WEG.

Mind you they did make some errors, I think - like almost every alien race being defined by the one example of their species that showed up in the movies - i.e. all Rodians are bounty hunters, all Hutts are gangsters...

Would have been interesting if say, Hutts were largely peaceful diplomats and Jabba was in fact an outlier (hence he's known as Jabba 'the Hutt'). If they're all crimelords, then how is 'the Hutt' a useful identifier?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Maybe there's another famous criminal named Jabba who isn't a Hutt?

But they're all known as 'The Hutt'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Atlas Hugged posted:

If it's not in the movies, I don't see how you could possibly care. Every time people talk about wanting more Star Wars I don't think they actually mean it. What they mean is that they want more "hero's journey" style stories where an average person rises up to claim their destiny while overcoming adversity, falling in love, and saving the day. Star Wars is just a version of that. It's why Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprise hit. It tells basically the same story, but in a fresh and interesting way. It's also why every time there's a new Star Wars movie, everyone has a list a million items long about how it failed or succeeded. Everyone knows they like "Star Wars" as a concept, but very few people are actually capable of expressing why and I would hazard to say it's because people don't really like Star Wars at all. They like the archetypes that Star Wars uses, which are the same archetypes that have been used thousands of times in storytelling.

Source your quotes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadin posted:

I always thought the fact that people in Firefly that left Earth speak English and Chinese was a pretty realistic representation of the future.

And yet, none of the main cast were Asian...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ugleb posted:

I think the problem that KM have had in capitalising on the Marvel movies is that their licence only seems to cover the comics, unlike the DC licence which covers everything but the Button/90's Batman movies.

I really don't see how that would be that big a limitation. I mean, maybe they can't depict the versions in the movie exactly (although I think the GOTG were the movie version), but they can still depict all of the characters involved.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bombogenesis posted:

Dumb baloon Dorfs are neat and I may buy some when they get a starter box, but I have to wonder if GW is purposely making everything more overly-busy in some kind of attempt to get people to buy more paint. They obviously don't realize that it's intimidating to newcomers or the chronically lazy.

I think it's an attempt to foil recasters more than anything else. And terrible aesthetic sense.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ijyt posted:

Please don't belittle my posting.

Plagiarizing your shitposts, a shameful goon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TKIY posted:

This is worth money:

But is it worth the money that GW will charge for it, that is the question.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember that the Imperial players learnt their lesson and specifically coordinated themselves for the Medusa V campaign (I think maybe also with the Eldar players) to got the top three spots (it was a free-for-all between all the factions, so they agreed not to attack one another, I think). Of course that probably came after a bunch of the edition changes, to boot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Atlas Hugged posted:

So you'd want to see some Slann... in space?

When I first started putting together my Kings of War Salamander army, I was thinking that I wanted them to be a sci-fi "survivors of the fall of the Old Ones" style force. So instead of flying around on Terradons, the skinks would be on hover bikes. Instead of using monsters as artillery, they'd have literal artillery. The problem was that it was just cost prohibitive to do and I could find pieces that I liked.

I think Diehard Minis basically had the same idea as you for their kickstarter.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I do kind of like the design of the bigmarines, since they work as 'true scale' miniatures. If only they were able to fit onto 28mm bases, I might even buy a squad or two to use as Enforcers in Deadzone.

But alas, it seems it is not to be.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah 40k is clearly a bunch of skirmish size models crammed into way-too-big armies.

Also I legitimately like the bigmars the more I look at them. If they just flat-out replaced regular marines that'd be fine. They were comically squat, smaller than cadians even. I would totally play a good skirmish game with like 10-20 line bigmars, a leader, 5-10 support bigmars, and one vehicle. Even the newer vehicles look better if you still like the goofy imperial grimdark designs. They're way better than poo poo like the box flyers or any of the recent big age of sigmar or end times things.

Let me tell you about Warpath Firefight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soulfucker posted:

Look man I have the rulebook already I'll check it out further when they relase the not!Tyranids army okay?

You could technically do a not!Genestealer Cult with Plague already, you know...

• Locked thread