Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't looked at it in too much detail yet, but it seems like 8th edition has a crappy cover system? They cribbed it from infinity in that you have to be touching cover to gain cover... am I off on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Speleothing posted:

I feel like PL is admitting that they're bad at balance and maybe by having two sets of costs at least one will work.

Power Level is easy; just come up with a rough number, keep saying these are "rough but equal", and the GW supporters will parrot the rest.
Granular points are hard, and usually are adjusted by looking at where the rubber meet the road. This is why PP/Mantic/Hawk are actually pretty balanced; they look at the results.

So enter 8th edition. Power Level is right on the front of the datasheet! Easy, takes care of unit sizes and upgrades! Yay!
Normal points are regulated to the back of the book and are painful to calculate. You usually have to flip back and forth to see the upgrades and basic weapons which may or may not cost additional points. This incentives people to say "gently caress it, lets do Power Level as they are rough but equal". This lets GW dump points easily in the future so they don't have to spend any time with actually balancing anything at a micro level. Yay!

:tinfoil:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

FLCL is the best anime but Gurren Lagann and Bebop are close

I just watched Bokurano because I like depression.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Texmo posted:

Having to perform invisible geometry calculations to determine Line of Sight and Cover really doesn't do any favors to the play speed of a game, and it's only sensible in skirmish games where you have around ten models per side where the extra detail doesn't bog the game down.

Yeah this is poo poo, but honestly you're going to have a bad time playing against someone who does this sort of thing no matter what.

My favorite part of infinity's LoS rules is how, if a model climbs a ladder, its volume counts as sticking out from the ladder horizontally, like this:

Smoke grenades have infinite height, so if I shoot a smoke grenade at a wall can I get in infinite column of LoS blocking cutting across the table?

Sadly I think the answer is no.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ilor posted:

The answer is, in fact, "no." You can't launch a grenade at a vertical surface and have it "stick" there.

Look at Mr Serious McNoFunFace here.

• Locked thread