Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I have warpath stuff coming, including the space dwarfs. I am strongly considering painting them in Sigmarine colors (though not with GW paints because I'm not that stupid). Also possibly emulating some of the "classic" signmarine poses, like having someone sticking a trumpet in their eyehole or aiming with a shoulderpad blocking the way.

Other options under consideration include bright chrome and/or sparkles, to make them Flash Gordon meets Liberace levels of fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Panzeh posted:

I kinda like Mantic's enforcers because they play into a more modern elite motif and emphasize mobility over 'has the biggest gun and the heaviest armor'(that's the forgefathers in their setting).

I like them because their background fluff has a number of subtle and not-subtle digs at space marines.

The biggest general one being the periodic tendency of crazy body and mind modifying technology to go off the rails. Less in a tragic "we are now vampires who are full of angsty rage" a la the Blood Angels, and more "we accidentally took away our supersoldiers' ability to not take orders exactly literally and now they massacred both the enemy and their own side on the ship. Prolly should fix that."

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

gently caress Whitey posted:

I like the forge father's because the ones in power armor are adorable

There's also a unit of them that arrive in battle by being fired out of cannons from space. Besides being awesome on its own account, I kind of feel like this was also a way to make the oft-complained about 40k marine drop pod armies look like a bunch of sissies. Which I approve of.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

The T H I C C calves and puny thighs on what I assume is Guilliman is really throwing me off. :psyduck:

In the dark future there is only upper body workout days.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

The death world trees are bad even by bad GW standards. I may not be able to tell the difference between a stormhumper thunderstorm and a thunderstorm humprider by looking at them, but I can at least tell that they're supposed to be guys in armor with weapons, however absurdly proportioned. At least 80% of those "trees" I couldn't even tell were supposed to be vegetation if they weren't listed as such, and the ones that you can don't even look interesting, they've just got a few leaves stuck on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

You don't need any of the DLC to get a ton of playtime out of the base factions the game comes with.

That said: did anyone else find the main Empire campaign to be super difficult? At some point the waves of chaos dudes showing up are just overwhelming. Probably I need to try again from scratch. Maybe I'm just bad at games.

Not "super" difficult, but definitely harder than I expected it to be. I think I was partially assuming that as the "human campaign", it'd be one of the simpler ones to start. In reality though, your starting position means you pretty much have to interact with all the game elements (including diplomacy, managing corruption, and hero actions, all of which are a bit tricky) right out the gate.

Two things I found help a lot with the chaos hordes are a) remembering reinforcements, having two full stacks traveling together can help a LOT, and b) using lightning strike, which prevents chaos from gain reinforcements when you attack (which should be harder for them to do given that infighting is one of their big weaknesses, but the AI seems to not have that handicap).

On another note, I did quite enjoy my very first game of total warhammer. I played the dwarves, and knew gently caress all what I was doing, and somehow got it in my head that without specific military access treaties I couldn't pass through peaceful territories without declaring war. So after trying for many turns to get the drat empire to grant me military access so I could go reconquer the dwarf territories to the west, I was like "gently caress it" and just started burning my way through the empire. Meanwhile, the vampires, who I had a basic non-aggression pact with, decided I was their best friend in the whole world and ended up forming a military alliance with me and burning the other half the old world to the ground. So when archaeon finally showed up, he found the smoldering ruins of the empire, with Thorgrim Grudgebearer forging BFF necklaces for him and Mannfred Von Carstein in the burned out remnants of Altdorf, and just sort of meandered about aimlessly, wondering what the gently caress was wrong with the world, before loving off back to the north. And then I won the game.

(okay, technically it was like 10 turns later after I sent a force to recolonize the north, but still, it was a better forged narrative than any of the bullshit in AoS)

• Locked thread