Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On the topic of non-GW scifi games, I just got done watching a Rogue Stars Let's Play, and I'm torn between thinking its so random its endearing and is low-cost/fast enough that it might be fun as an experience generator, and that it's so random it would absolute dreadful to play as a game. I really do think the Malifaux card resolution has broken me and I just don't like dice anymore. Looks like the PDF is only available through Osprey at the moment though, so I haven't had a chance to read the full rules yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71OHehKktk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do want to say how thankful I am for GMG though, as it helps me see what games I'm actually interested in before I spend money. On the topic of Mantic, watching him play Kings of War basically convinced me that while it's undoubtedly better than AOS/Warhammer, it looked incredibly boring and there didn't seem to be a lot of meaningful decisions and way too many buckets of dice. It may just be that I'm developing a strong aversion to dice, though. Maybe it's PTSD from having played Imperial Guard 10 years ago.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't any, just that from watching the game played there didn't see to be a lot (from my uninformed perspective). But that might also be because GMG is definitely very bad at games. Entertaining to watch at least and get kind of a feel.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Good News: GW has outlived its competitors
The Bad News: GW has outlived its customers

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

GW is good. :smug:

You are entitled to your opinion which I respectfully disagree with.

I hope everyone enjoys the game of their choice in their leisure time and gives their money to whom they choose.

:angel:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

dwarves are bad

the good opinion skeleton speaks the truth

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

grassy gnoll posted:

They are inquiring, in a pointed fashion, about how much of a racist stereotype YJ is.

Which for those not familiar with the game is not really. Infinity's problem is that their sculptors and character designers need to keep their hands off their dicks, not about how cool it is to be Western and rich in the transhuman future.

Well, there is also the model called DRAGON LADY, that is just an asian woman with an umbrella. Probably not a smart choice to use a racial caricature term. But thats about the extent of it that I can recall. Every so often I make an attempt at figuring out Infinity before giving up, but YJ and Nomads seemed pretty neat.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There is also something that annoys me, and I don't think is done out of malice so much as not really being aware, but a lot of games (including my beloved Malifaux) also tend towards having an asian conglomerate. Its the "asian" faction, mixing any and all stereotypes, cultural assets, names of a vast array of different peoples and cultures, in a way that basically serves to create a homogenized, monolithic "other". Yes there are fluff reasons for these, but it doesn't change the fact its a very orientalist, western view.

I like these games, but it is a very annoying tendency.

Also the really lazy google translate naming. There's a Malifaux character whose name is literally HATRED DARKNESS

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just like Loaderbot after he loses his legs to the bounty hunters in Borderlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxCTSTLYBk

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2017

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
わかりません :smith:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

鬼子來了~

:krakken:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

只是日本泥土的農夫。

モデレータ???

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Moon posted:

Guys I already tried reading that moon language to put together my Bandai pocket Star Destroyer

I commend your excellent taste :japan:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

why is that at-at riding on a giant space roomba

Its little legs got tired

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
GW cannot fail it can only be failed. 40k players will be riding invisible horses tiny hosed up cyberwolves in a year's time and singing its praises.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait for the Age of the Emperor. I'm already trying to pick out what terrain piece I'll field as my whole force.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

Here's my list:

Craters x 50

Gonna take Craters x1 to get the underdog bonus.

Check and mate

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Since moving apartments I mostly just play Deadzone. Carrying around a whole army is a hassle.

Is it possible to start Deadzone without buying the box set full of scrunts

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Give it time, they were sidelined only because the hard plastic basic troops were part of the Warpath KS not the Deadzone one. Mantic is gearing up for a heavy Plague push this year. That is, unless you decide to kickstart the next edition this year too.

Wait, a third Deadzone KS?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing skull = bad = 1

But yeesh thats bad

wait this is warhammer maybe skulls good???

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hunt11 posted:

Lets be fair here. Those do seem like excellent representations of the type of dice Tzeentch would use.

Didn't they make a Tzeentch die with a face reading 7 a couple years ago?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On the bright side, the poo poo has kernels now so you're getting something extra. This is a real improvement.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Too be fair, with the First Order in TFA they basically did this. But that's really more like when GW had the 13th Company as a spinoff of Space Wolves or the Vostroyans as a spinoff of the IG.

The Vostroyans were pretty cool. I wish I had picked them up at the time. I don't suppose there are any similar space cossack models out there?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kithkar posted:

I swear to god, If I ever see anything GW official make a Scrunts joke I will probably die.

So is this just further confirmation that Eldar are getting the elf treatment with everyone joining up to be friends? Will it follow the same path where it turns out the Dark Eldar had the right idea all along?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pierzak posted:

*Dork Aeldari

Dorruk Aeldari

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what it is but while the models are poo poo, that and the Tzeentch Beastmen dudes both have some really great colors. Like, I love the blue and turquoise and purple, but everything beyond the colors is just a mess.

It does have me kind of thinking of checking out the current citadel paints, but I also know I shouldn't give GW money.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are those Eldar gemstone paints worthwhile at all? I'm going to be painting some constructs in Malifaux and was thinking of maybe trying them to use on the soulstones.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'm still laughing at nit picky rules.

Its funny when the favorable comparison is warhammer but Infinity can feel basically impenetrable

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Best Gundam is Bearguy-san, he even comes with a little red bow.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

I went to a local import shoppe and asked the guy running it about ordering a gundarn and he was extremely weird

shall not go back there again

Just use amazon. Or fly to Japan. You can get gundams in 7-11s.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Eandr posted:

I'm all-in on 3e and actually really enjoy it (I know that's an Unpopular Opinion in this thread), but hopefully there will be some good fluff supplements. Or more stuff for Elves that can be worked back into 3e!

I don't have any experience with Cubicle 7, so no idea what to expect ruleswise.

WHFRP 3E was awesome and I also enjoyed it for the brief period I owned it (had to move overseas about six month after buying it, and sold it to a German mate). The system lives on in the Star Wars RPG.

As for WHFRP flavor though, I'm pretty enamored with Shadow of the Demon Lord which feels a bit like a spiritual but not mechanical successor.

I've also got zero experience with Cubicle 7.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Eandr posted:

I hadn't heard of this before, but it looks intriguing. Even has a banes and boons mechanic!

You can start the game with a small yet vicious dog if the parallels aren't immediately apparent. Theres a writeup ongoing in FATAL & Friends that initially prompted me to pick up a couple of the books.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The joke is that it won't be age of the emperor but they'll just combine existing 40k factions into Age of Sigmar. It's one unified system! Buy whatever you want! Play with whatever you want! GW is giving choice back to the players!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

thats like paying for torture

please don't kinkshame here

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Flipswitch posted:

I think they would look better as normal sized guys fighting big gently caress off demons and poo poo, makes them look that much cooler

oh god why am I even thinking about 40k fluff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHsj5y8UL8

This is what sold me on 40k back in 2005.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ugleb posted:

Knight Models recently switched to CAD and have started to design their metals with much better joints to get around the need to pin everything.

That said, Suicide Squad Katana was a nightmare, lots of people lose her hand while removing it from the sprue, and that is before lining up three components to glue at once. Good luck pinning them.

In other news they just admitted to losing the Marvel licence after launching a new game last year. Bets on who gets it next?

Whats the story there?

I was always a bigger Marvel fan, but I enjoyed the Arkham games and sometimes had an eye on their Batman minis.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well that sure does seem like a massive waste of time and money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

I just realised Aeldari sounds and looks almost exactly the same as Illidari

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Illidari_(faction)

Congratulations on somehow making the Aeldari sound even worse

• Locked thread