Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The things you like are stupid and shallow but the things I like are deep and important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I think it's just that I'm closer to retired than precocious 20-something so I'm just worn out with decades worth of wordy contrarianism by nerds who just need to educate me on why this popular thing is actually really bad. I voted for Trump to put you intellectuals in your place.

I'd understand this star wars conversation more if there was anyone here trying to impress on us just how monumentally important Star Wars is but all there is is people daring to say they liked a movie.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Avenging Dentist posted:

On the other hand, doesn't this describe Tattooine pretty well, aside from the fact that they have spaceships? Star Wars always felt closer to fantasy than sci-fi to me, except with laserguns. Not only that, Star Wars is full of single-biome planets, which is sort of the inverse of this issue. It doesn't bother me too much though since realism isn't a priority of D&D or Star Wars. Having goofy alien people doesn't undermine Luke's story.

Oddly I think this is probably more realistic because it's an unintended vision of space libertarianism.

You have the guys with laser guns and space ships and then you have the people wearing rags rummaging through space trash for space bitcoins.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's a backwater shithole that is apparently a central hub for smugglers (see: Jabba, Han, all the weirdos in the bar), so it's doing alright for itself I think. Ultimately, it's not much different from the inn where your D&D party meets and gets their first adventure. It's still not especially realistic, but as a fantastical setting, it works just fine I think.

I think it would have been fine if they didn't then turn around and make Jabba something more than a local crime lord. Han was small time before he became a Rebel General so him having an issue with Jabba works but when you have games like X-wing and books/stuff in the EU making the Hutts a big deal it kind of becomes like if the Russian Mafia HQ was in Siberia for some unknown reason.

Either that or make Tatooine rich in some mineral or something but then the Dune rip-off aspect becomes blatant.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I dunno, I think Han having trouble with the local crime lord was important for defining Han's character which makes his arc more fun so I'd add that to the list of stuff that they needed from Tatooine. The problem is that they made what should have been a lowlevel thug in Jabba an important part of some really powerful faction capable of holding a rebellion general prisoner as a bit of furniture. 5 of the fricking movies had parts on Tattooine. Really it should have been 2.

Back to the original stuff about exploring the galaxy I think a lot of the problem with that lies with the EU authors who seem intent on recapturing the feel of original movies by stupid poo poo like 'it kills stars not planets!' and force immune bugs/armor and jedi detectors. The Star Wars world would really shine if we got more low tech drama type stories from the galaxy. I expect Disney's one-offs will eventually give us more than the EU ever gave us when it comes to giving life to the rest of the galaxy since Han Solo and Kenobi movies will probably be about more than just The Empire and Re*

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Avenging Dentist posted:

One of the things that worries me about the side stories is that they all seem like they're trying to tie directly into the main story, which I think makes everything feel even smaller because you never get anything really new. I worry that this will end up sacrificing effort on just having great characters in stories that stand on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the Rebellion had more resources than just what they had on Yavin IV and Hoth; why not make a movie (or a series of movies) about a totally different front in the war against the Empire?

Yeah - it's hard to know for sure given that Disney's 2 movies were EP8 and what was essentially EP3.5 so there's obvious tie-ins to the rebellion/Empire stuff.

But if they give us a Han Solo running around causing problems and how he meets Chewie type movie, that would be rad. Something with lower stakes than the fate of the galaxy.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Slimnoid posted:

God, shut the gently caress up about Star Wars already, you loving nerds.

Nerfherder sighted.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I tried watching that on the plane and I didn't like it. Sorry! :shrug:

I mean, it's probably the right idea but I didn't like the implementation.

I've watched half an episode of Rebels, it seems ok. Very RotJ in tone so aimed at the tween crowd. Liked it more than what little I watched of Clone Wars but that's not saying much.

quote:

e: In other news I finally got to the start of the Dominion plot in DS9 so hopefully that'll be good. The first one was kind of hokey but there's definitely some promise there, and if nothing else I will keep watching for Quark, Odo, and Garak.

I'm doing a Star Trek chronological viewing and it's been rough. I decided to watch TNG as my 'put something on while gaming/painting/deckbuilding' type show and it's well, I mean, I'd never really watched it before so maybe it was better when it first came out. But whew, it's been rough. Finally got into DS9 as part of the chronological order and it's still silly but I like the characters, the static setting and some other stuff about it.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 1, 2017

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Doing this TNG watch, which has taken like 4 years now, I've found that I'm only moderately excited if it's going to be a Picard or Data episode. Worf was cool until he wasn't *cough*Alexander*cough* and half of the time Riker episodes usually involve Troi which...yeah.

As much as I love Burton good god he's just an awful actor. The Crushers are terrible. I didn't mind the season 2 cranky Doctor she was at least interesting even if I didn't like her, I liked that she treated Data like an actual robit.

I dunno, I'm hoping for something good from CBS Trek, but I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Avenging Dentist posted:

When I found out it was pre-TOS I basically gave up. It could still be good but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Maybe Big Bang Theory will have a cameo.

"How I teleported your mother."

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem with Pulaski is she acts outright hateful towards Data at times- they were aiming for a McCoy/Spock thing but Spock gave as good as he got, Data was more childlike so Pulaski just comes off as needlessly mean.

Yeah but I mean, at least it was something compared to the rest of the crew always holding hands and sending each other love emjois.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
This thread is my replacement for friends in meatspace

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
why blow up stuff with explosives when I can blow up fools with my posts

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Chill la Chill posted:

Both are similar, friend. The only difference is that fingers don't grow back as easily as posting privileges after probes, but they are p much the same.

No but the shame of failure is identical, I would wager

Bad Moon posted:

I missed the DS9 derail :negative:

What's peak DS9? Like which season?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
i jerk off to 25mm pewter boobs

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

adhuin posted:

I hope you like historicals, because that's all there is on the menu.

Have you heard of our lord and savior Kings of War?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Honestly I still really wish FFG had done pre-paints for Runewars. I get that there's economic reasons why it probably wasn't feasible but I think only pre-painted models would allow a new game to really compete.

There's something nice about going in, buying the new wave of Armada stuff and not being like 'ok cool, in 5 months when I have the perfect convergence of time and desire I will get these ready to go onto the table.'

I know a lot of people who see the hobby requirements for Warmahordes or KoW and their eyes glaze over and they buy another booster box of MTG cards or more X-wing models instead.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
GW can have all the crappy rules they want if, in the end, the games don't last 3 hours (2 of which are spent arguing and flipping through books) and they actually keep doing customer outreach then I'd say that they've moved from 'bad' to 'benign' in my books.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Mantic's KS addiction is killing their retail presence. My store stocked a poo poo ton of Mantic and it doesn't sell because everyone who wants Mantic stuff is buying it via KS and everyone else is just bringing proxies.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

The Bee posted:

I'd argue non tournament-ready rules hinder casual play, too.

Yeah, the idiots who defend some of the choices GW makes always tend to try to make it out that only over-competitive assholes want tight rules and balance.

But the reality is if you're a casual player it's super important to your gaming experience to have sound rules. Who wants to spend a casual friday night arguing about rules or getting stomped by imbalanced poo poo where you lost during the list-building phase?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm so angry about the TLoS defense in this thread that I can't even really summon the focus to write a mulit-page leperfishesque attack on the concept and those who would defend it.

So instead I say this: good day, sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

spacegoat posted:

Remember when folks used to do poo poo like model their Wraithlords kneeling to abuse TLoS? Another thing KoW does right is that whether I use the man-sized Manticore from Dark World or the giganto GW version, it's always gonna be a height 4 model.

You have 2 options:

Model height is defined by base size or model class (Warmahordes, KoW)
Arguing over whether or not that small swirling bit of fabric visible above the fence constitutes enough LoS to shoot at someone.

Whatever, I'm gonna go argue with theater people about Bette Midler.

• Locked thread