Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Games Workshop is a good company which I continue to support with my patronage :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Star Wars prequels are insanely good.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

new 40K 8e innovations:

all the poo poo we removed from 2e because it wasn't fun or good

Turns out it actually was fun, and good.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

because enough dumbasses out there will pay what theyre asking

Buying a product with the quality and pedigree of Games Workshop doesn't make you a "dumbass".

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's pretty obvious Games Workshop has totally turned things around. With 8th edition promising streamlining of 40k, the ongoing success of Age of Sigmar, and Forgeworld continuing to run out high quality releases every month, it's time to close the Death Thread imo.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Star Wars prequels are so insanely good that nerds have been absolutely obsessed with them for two decades.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Everything about GW is still garbage. You guys have just mistaken "better than other garbage" for "not garbage" and I get why that's an easy mistake to make.

Actually, Games Workshop is Good.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I still cannot believe people would compare low quality junk like Gundam kits to even something as basic as a Space Marine sprue.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You're already posting in the bad thread tho

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ilor posted:

I realize you're just trolling, but this sentiment is one voiced all too often by GW's core fan-base. It's the mistaken idea that the game's not still a hot loving mess. I think the Belisarius Cawl mini is loving bad-rear end. I actually like the new Kairos Fateweaver mini. But the idea of actually playing a game of 40K is just dreadfully painful. It's an exercise in unfulfilling, time-consuming futility. And the worst part is that if you've never played anything other than 40K, you have no idea just how much of an awful, soul-crushing chore the game actually is.

Don't get me wrong - I've been playing 40K since the heady days of Rogue Trader, where my first army was Eldar mercenaries with uncontrolled Genestealers deployed from a tunneling crawler. I first started collecting and painting Imperial Guard under 2nd Edition and Necrons under 5th. Thank the gods that I avoided the temptation to get into Sisters under 4th. I've played a lot of 40K over the years, up through and including 7th Edition. I did so largely because in terms of mini games it was "the thing to do."

Then I slowly came to the realization that I didn't really enjoy the game. Sure, hanging out with friends and shooting the poo poo was cool. And some of the minis were awesome (I absolutely love the aesthetics of Necron vehicles, for instance). But the actual game itself actively got in the way of all of the other enjoyable bits.

Then I started reading and playing other games. Newer games. Games that didn't have three decades of cruft and sacred cows and lovely Codex authors pushing their own lovely agendas. And I realized that these other games were actually fun. And balanced. And interesting. They had novel mechanics and meaningful tactical decisions. And the companies that put them out actually gave a poo poo about their customers. And some of them had minis that were just plain better than Citadel's latest T-posed, extraneously-detailed, busy-as-gently caress plastic mans.

I have no doubt that 8th Edition 40K will be more streamlined than 7th. You might even be able to say that it will be a "better" game. But "better than 7th Ed" is a pretty loving low bar, and getting GW fanboys to realize why jaded veterans don't share their optimism (especially when we've been disappointed so many times in the past) is harder than it needs to be. 8th Edition would have to be virtually unrecognizable as a Warhammer game for me to actually want to play it again, and the odds of it being so are virtually nil.

:shittypop:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It turns out Games Workshop was always pretty good.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I think once you see the quality and detail of your typical GW box compared to trash like Malifaux that the price difference becomes understandable. You pay for the quality.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, if there's one correct post in here in the last couple pages....

it's all of mine

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Imagine the depths of bad taste to which you must descend to pick up a box of Malifaux figures and go "yeah these look good".

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That makes sense: people only get emotionally invested in good games.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Why would I be in pain? I play the finest miniatures game on the market.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TTerrible posted:

That's a big shitpost.

For you.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

This thread's been dying ever since boom^3 was banned. He was part of the heart and soul of these threads, along with moola and LP.

What about me? I've been here since page one.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola PMs me regularly to ask about what 40k models he should buy and what list he should bring. Kind of weird but whatever :hb:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

To answer your last pm, yes thunderfire cannons are good, no Sniper scouts are not.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Tallboys make the best drop pods, obviously. Just make sure the label faces the camera for the Epic Battle Report.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You don't "flick" through a catalog you stupid euros, you "flip" through it. Because you're flipping the pages over.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

i will flick your nips you trump voting trash

eat my fucc Brexit Bitch

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

- "Yes this is how a soldier would pose, it is the epitome of good modelling and taste", Avenging Dentist

This guy obviously knows how to sculpt, this poor young woman just plainly suffers from debilitating scoliosis and skeletal deformations in her legs.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If someone can find just one Malifaux model I like I'll buy them a new av or forums upgrade of their choice (a $10 value).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

those models are bad and i do not like them but this is a cool robit

these soldiers are pretty basic but i like them overall too

lamo these are hideous. Malifaux looks like poo poo.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

I hope you like hats, daddy needs an avatar.

"Surely you can do better" - Count Dooku, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Come on now, scorpy is pretty neat.

Keg golem.

I'm not a fan of Malifaux, but their sculpts are alright, if you're into steampunky stuff. Infinity has some great sculpts, but all of the cheesecake does get tiresome (and I don't mind a bit of cheesecake.)

Keg almost looks good. You're in the ballpark anyway.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

a good model (from zombicide: black plague)

Finally, an Actually Good model

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

Gas this trash

now turn on you're monitor

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

spectralent posted:

This is legitimately pissing me off because:

1. Everything contains chemicals

2. All food is artificial

3. All fruit and vegetables (or close to) that we eat are genetically modified. Corn didn't just spring into existence fully-formed

High-fructose corn syrup is bad poo poo and I'm really surprised to see it contains mercury but the fact ketchup has GMOs in it has absolutely no issue for the consumer.

GMOs and their regulation are a massive issue if you care about biodiversity, the rights of farmers, the right of a company to own basic science, and so on, but being genetically modified is going to do jack poo poo to your health on it's lonesome (and even then most food is actually fortified, instead of being made less nutritious, so most GMO food contains more nutrient content, not less).

EDIT: Also checking our ketchup it's mostly water, 29% puree, and vinegar, so I guess the UK has less lovely ketchup.

noice maltdown

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

So now that we've got all that out of our systems, can we acknowledge that Games Workshop, like the Star Wars prequels, is actually Quite Good?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Thread Title: Games Workshop is Objectively Good Again

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

spectralent posted:

I would like to formally apologise for my role in this apparently so-ironic-it's-actually-serious conversation. I will from now on only Post With Honour and explain my motives for doing so.

I request the other Death thread regulars also apologize & say something they liked about Attack of the Clones.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'm sorry

I liked the bit where it ended

The ending of Attack of the Clones was very good, you have a good eye for film.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Did you get a boner at the lovingly sculpted buttcrack?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's not white washing anyway.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

No if I was aroused by the miniature I would almost certainly consider the £7 to be well spent though.

It was this hacker lady and it was an impulse purchase because I thought the helmet and big hair looked cool and fun to paint

im the green titties

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Actually, $0 gets you all the infinity you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

how does this even happen?

• Locked thread