Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Please add this to the OP thanks in advance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

This is why I'm playing a different game entirely.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Interesting. Watching Awakens was what showed me just how mediocre Awakens was.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Snape kills Darth Vader

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Wake me when they start selling bitz by piece again.

We'll all be dead or trying to survive the nuclear winter by then.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Star Wars is dumb you guys. Like seriously it's not even at the top of "movie series that were good once and then quickly ruined" because Alien wins handily on that metric.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alien definitely isn't the most artistically meaningful film ever made but unlike Star Wars, there is at least some social commentary happening. Dan O'Bannon specifically designed the alien to invoke imagery of "homosexual oral rape" as a reaction against horror/exploitation films of the time that depicted women being raped as a way of getting tits on the screen.

But then they made Alien: Resurrection and AvP (which is so bad it ruined two good franchises). Of course, on the other hand, I don't know if anyone ever made an Alien Holiday Special so Star Wars has some good arguments in its favor.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

No, and I like the first two Star Wars movies. They're really good! (Even RotJ has some really good parts, but it's a bit of a mess.) But there's nothing particularly valuable about the universe (artistically speaking; it's obviously extremely financially valuable). In the movies, it's really just some broad strokes about an evil space Empire and a plucky group of Rebels fighting them. You don't need to know who manufactured the Millennium Falcon or how hyperspace works or even what's happening on some random planet in the galaxy; what matters is watching Luke and friends grow as people and overcome adversity. You could set the story anywhere and it'd work just fine.

The new Star Wars movies are in an uncomfortable place (of their own choosing, mind) where they have to put forth a lot of effort to remind you, "We're basing these on the good movies," hence the constant references and reuse of identical (or near-identical) elements. The problem is that that makes everything feel redundant and shrinks the realm of possibility even further; does every movie need to involve a death star and a Darth Vader-looking guy? Yes, there's the Han Solo movie coming too, but that's still a similar problem: they're trying to make a Star Wars Cinematic Universe where everything ties into everything else but there's not actually that much to work with unless you start mining the originals for throwaway characters. Like who's gonna go see a movie about loving Bossk? (Ok, I actually might, but I'm a crazy person.) In the end though, you're just left with a series of diminishing returns because the story wasn't set up to last this long in the first place.

On the other hand, maybe Rogue One is genius: after all, it's trying to bridge the prequels and the originals, so putting unlikeable characters in the movie is a great way of reminding you of what came before, chronologically. :classiclol:

Shadin posted:

There's a lot of undertones of Buddhist philosophy in the Jedi, but I guess that pales in comparison to some guy deciding HR Giger's creepy horror painting could be a gay face rape defiance of titties in slasher flicks that no one would ever correlate to anything, ever.

Yes, a bland surface-level appropriation of another culture's belief system: high art.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 31, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Shadin posted:

As for more stories in the Star Wars universe, since I played the WEG RPG back in the day, I'm excited for anything they want to make. There's a lot of rich world building to draw on that goes far beyond the Galactic Civil War that they have never scratched the surface with cinematically.

I remember playing that game. I don't think it clicked with any of us (and I say this as someone who wanted nothing more than pretend to be Boba Fett when I was 12 because I had absolutely no taste). My experiences with non-movie Star Wars things (the RPG, CCG, video games, and usually-awful novels) are probably a lot of why I just don't care that much about the new movies. While some of the games are really fantastic (the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, Republic Commando), none of them made me care about the broader setting; they may as well have been original IP. There's honestly not that much I could even tell you about the Star Wars universe other than what's in the movies and a couple of really awful excerpts from the books I read. There's probably still cool stuff you can make with the Star Wars movies, but it seems to me that it gets harder every time to avoid going completely up your own rear end like the Marvel movies.

As bad as GW is, at least the Warhammer universes seem more clearly-defined as a broader setting where a wide variety of stories can happen (so long as you're not a woman, of course!!). I probably wouldn't watch a Warhammer movie, but there was a time when the settings worked well for games, if nothing else.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Rufus posted:

This is dumb. At least in Sci Fi you don't have 10-20 sentient races all on one planet they can't really get off of plus tons of flora and fauna that exist mostly to kill everything.

On the other hand, doesn't this describe Tattooine pretty well, aside from the fact that they have spaceships? Star Wars always felt closer to fantasy than sci-fi to me, except with laserguns. Not only that, Star Wars is full of single-biome planets, which is sort of the inverse of this issue. It doesn't bother me too much though since realism isn't a priority of D&D or Star Wars. Having goofy alien people doesn't undermine Luke's story.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, and Tattooine is considered a backwater shithole on the edge of the galactic rim that nobody with any choice would ever want to live on. That's why Luke's there, after all, Ben Kenobi was looking for a place to hide him that the Empire wouldn't look.

It's a backwater shithole that is apparently a central hub for smugglers (see: Jabba, Han, all the weirdos in the bar), so it's doing alright for itself I think. Ultimately, it's not much different from the inn where your D&D party meets and gets their first adventure. It's still not especially realistic, but as a fantastical setting, it works just fine I think.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I'd say it's not really important what Tattooine as a whole is like. For the original trilogy, you really just need three things: 1) a lowly place for Luke to live in and dream of escaping, 2) the "inn" where he starts his adventure for real, and 3) a "high-level" place where he can return to and conquer to show how he's risen above his lowly beginnings. Since you don't need the planet to be fully-fleshed out (or even particularly realistic) for that to work, they didn't bother to do any more for Tattooine than they did (at least, not in the original trilogy).

That's one of the things that makes the original trilogy work so well (but also limits the amount of time you can spend in the universe): stuff that's not important to the story is barely touched upon and is more about giving the right emotional feel to it, rather than being super realistic. Once you start looking at it too closely, it starts to unravel a bit because you end up grappling with issues like fnordcircle mentions.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

One of the things that worries me about the side stories is that they all seem like they're trying to tie directly into the main story, which I think makes everything feel even smaller because you never get anything really new. I worry that this will end up sacrificing effort on just having great characters in stories that stand on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the Rebellion had more resources than just what they had on Yavin IV and Hoth; why not make a movie (or a series of movies) about a totally different front in the war against the Empire?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Rufus posted:

It's a tv show called Rebels and it kicks rear end.

I tried watching that on the plane and I didn't like it. Sorry! :shrug:

I mean, it's probably the right idea but I didn't like the implementation.

e: In other news I finally got to the start of the Dominion plot in DS9 so hopefully that'll be good. The first one was kind of hokey but there's definitely some promise there, and if nothing else I will keep watching for Quark, Odo, and Garak.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 1, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TNG gets off to a really rough start; it's basically TOS except with less charm until it finds its footing. DS9 has way better characters though, and I like that it shows some of the negatives of the Federation. I could do without the Bajorans though.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I could go an entire lifetime without hearing the word pagh ever again. The occupation stuff is usually ok but that's in no small part because it involves the Cardassians, who are pretty interesting (if portrayed a bit unsubtly). Also Garak is a Cardassian and he's just delightful.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

This is probably my favorite scene in DS9, but I haven't gotten to it chronologically yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fnordcircle posted:

I dunno, I'm hoping for something good from CBS Trek, but I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

When I found out it was pre-TOS I basically gave up. It could still be good but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Here's my (awful) pitch for a Star Trek series/plotline: the Terran Empire from the mirror universe (who by DS9 time is relatively peaceful and subjugated by the Klingons/Cardassians/whatevers) makes a plea to join the Federation and receive their protection so now you have a weird cross-universe conflict.

Make Star Trek weird again.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 1, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I want an episode to be a weird legal drama about something that is made horrifyingly complex by the existence of identical alternate universe doubles.

Yes. Yes! This is what I want to see in a Star Trek.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

He has my vote.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Everything is currently bunched in the middle.

I had that problem once. You just gotta get more fiber in your diet and you'll be right as rain.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

A lot about Mantic is, honestly, a bit embarrassing. Like they try for sure and they've made some apparently-good games that I have zero interest in, but they often seem like they're just kinda fumbling their way around. Of course, since they're basically "Bizarro GW" all they need to do is actually respect their customers to have the competitive edge...

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Is that... good? I can't even tell anymore.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

My god they've done it. They've really done it. The least readable dice on the planet:

I literally do not know which is the 1 and which is the 6 (I'd guess the Tzeentch symbol is the 6 but it has 1 circle, and most of the others are determined by counting the circles).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah like skull = 6 makes some sense:
  • Skull kinda sounds like "six"
  • If you roll a 6 to hit/wound, you usually kill the other guy, hence skull
  • Warhammer loves skulls
  • The Tzeentch symbol has one dot
  • The Tzeentch symbol looks kinda like a snake and double-ones are called "snake eyes"

But on the other hand:
  • Tzeentch sounds like "six" too
  • If you roll a one on your save, you die, hence skull
  • Skulls are usually bad
  • If you count the "things" inside the Chaos star, there's only one skull

This doesn't even get into how 2-5 are indistinguishable at a glance.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Not only are they real, but they were so popular they already sold out and they were only up for preorder: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tzeentch-Dice

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 15, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

so dumb. how does GW not own "Eldar"? Isn't that a name unique to their IP

It's from Lord of the Rings. Yes, this is how unoriginal GW is.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I guess they'll have to rename Ultramarines too since that's just a color. My suggestion is to call them The Blue Man Group.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

How is Eldar any less stupid than Aeldari? They're both just made up. You're just more familiar with one.

You've answered your own question m8

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

I'm just saying wether the name is stupid or not is a different argument to wether it's stupid for GW to bother wanting to trademark everything.

Aeldari or Eldar are neither stupid or not stupid, GW is stupid

It's stupid because they already have brand recognition with "Eldar" and now they're tossing that in the garbage for dubious reasons. In isolation, "Aeldari" is only stupid because of the unnecessary addition of a dipthong.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The lack of new Metroid and F-Zero games is basically why I gave up on Nintendo. I mean Mario is great but when I have a hankering for Mario I just load up SMW or Mario 64.

Also something something Earthbound.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

the lack of even a 2d metroid on the 3DS astounds me. F-Zero was cool, but there's a glut of good racing games out there. The new mario games have been good, though.

Sadly, there aren't that many good arcadey hyper-fast racing games these days, although in the past year or so there have been a couple of promising PC games that I should look into. I just want more Wipeout/F-Zero/Extreme-G.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Did you play Mother 3? I thought it was amazing. Itoi isn't going to do another, though

Not yet. I've heard good things about it. I'm fine with there not being anymore, although more games of that style would be rad.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

When has GW ever produced a good game (by modern terms)? Some of their games were good for their time, but that was an era when games of this sort were very poorly designed because no one really knew what they were doing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Presumably that shouldn't stop them from being able to make a good game for its time now, but in order to do that, you'd have to invest much more into design and playtesting than they currently do. And also develop a strong digital strategy.

I think it does stop them because they've stagnated so long that they've lost all their talented game designers. They'd have to completely rebuild their design team, and given their reputation, I have serious doubts that they'd be able to manage it. Maybe if they actually paid their designers well they could poach some people, but I think GW would have to show that they've really changed, honest this time, for anyone to take notice. They'd probably need more talented staff to actually change, so they're in a bit of a catch-22.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That's why I edited my post. I doubt they could hire good game designers. (I also have significant doubts that they'd even be able to recognize a good designer if one applied for the job.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's a past event, but that's in the rules for the "Battle Brothers" event on Dec 10-11: https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Battle_Brothers-Classic-Final.pdf

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Actually, 30k is the Fad Thread. The Dad Thread is historicals.

AoS is the... uh... (Smash Me in the) Nad Thread? I'll need to workshop that one.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Maybe it's the Dyad Bad Thread since it's basically just a reskin of the 40k thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Why did this man(?) bring his coral reef to the battlefield that is very environmentally unsound

• Locked thread