Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

quote:

At last, my fantasy of the Rifts Coalition States merging with 40k Space Marines is a reality. :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Moola posted:

who cares?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Q7CcINC8M

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

You should follow my motto: just say no-ta to DOTA.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

in it, voted 5

(also feels c00l that at least(?) 3 of the top 4 are people who use this as a chat thread)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Moola posted:

gundamn

i always type it like this too :hfive: buddy

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 6, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

anti_strunt posted:

tbh if any faction of Kaos Marines should look like undifferentiated messy blobs its Nurgle.

Much like how you don't paint accurate camo on your minis (it makes them look like a featureless blob since that's the point of camo), you shouldn't sculpt your minis that way either.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Wow, the new BFG figures look different than I expected.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

anti_strunt posted:

TLOS is an abomination before the Lord, but so is forbidding pre-measuring so it's not like Infinity comes out perfect either.

Allow me to tell you about the game Dark Age. You see,

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

anti_strunt posted:

How does Dark Age handle the dirty business of physical model interaction? I haven't checked it out in years, since before the release CORE, at least.

Not 100% sure what you mean but I'll take a guess. Models have a standardized base size plus a height value (small, medium, large, huge, gigantic). You have line of sight to a target if there are no models/terrain pieces in the way that are the same size or larger than the target. (This does mean that a little guy might be able to shoot a big guy but not vice versa. However, I'm fine with that from a game balance point of view.)

For cover, you measure from the center of the shooter to the center of the target and if that line passes through terrain that grants cover (except if the shooter is touching said terrain), then the target gets a cover bonus.

You're also allowed to measure anything at any time.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

My solution to the wizard problem was always to be careful about what spells the wizards actually find (and therefore can use) in spellbooks, but the fact that D&D makes you go through that level of effort to balance your game is kind of ridiculous.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dark Age also has a cool system for secondary objectives. There's a pool of 36 secondary objective cards, and you generate a deck of 16+ of them. Then at the beginning of each turn, you draw secondary objectives until you have 2; at the end of the turn, you can discard one. If you meet the conditions of the secondary objective, you then reveal it to your opponent and get the victory points (usually just 1 but some are worth 2). This lets you create a pool of secondary objectives that works well for your play style, and even if you don't draw one you like, you have a few chances to discard and re-draw an objective that you can complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dark Age handles that by having tournament play allow a 150 point sideboard (for a 750 point game). You also use the same secondary objective deck for the entire tournament, so you have to think about all the possible missions you might be forced to play. I like this as a compromise where you have to think about how to ensure your force is flexible enough to win a variety of scenarios without locking it down completely.

• Locked thread