Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I just realized this new thread existed and was coming to ask if Age of Emperor was a real thing, but I guess this page answers that question. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Am I the only one that thinks its weird that the Primarchs are apparently like 25 feet tall? I always got that they were supposed to be ubermensch, but in the realm of actual people not like literal giants. It makes their backstory really weird, too. You have stories of primarchs like Lion El'Jonson and Janhatai Khan who were integrated into pseudo-medieval socieities and were adopted sons of rulers and stuff, and it makes sense if you imagine them like Conan-style supermen besting standing head above everyone and besting anyone in combat, but those stories are super weird if they're actually supposed to be enormous dudes. Like the background is all 'The king found the feral youth and recognized the fire of greatness in his eye', when it should really be 'the king rode into the clearing and said 'holy poo poo that baby is as big as a cow, get that fucker in a cart I want him on my side boys'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Moola posted:

also does this mean the Empror is the size of a Dreadknight?

The Emperor was actually 5'5" and it all the problems of the Imperium are because he could never put horus over his knee and give him a paddling.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

The Chapter Approved stories were always that the Emperor was a big rear end dude but still in the realm of human proportions. Like in the Salamanders one Vulkan and the Emps take part in a regular human feat of strength contest to see if the Emperor can convince Vulkan to come with him (eventually he sucker punches Vulkan with a power fist lol)

Part of the weirdo history of the Emperor is him being born in ancient Turkey and spending thousands of years hiding among mankind before revealing himself at the end of the Age of Strife.

This is actually a much better story if you assume he was 30 feet tall, and he spent thousands of years trying to blend in. He spends fifteen years disguised as an elephant with a hand-puppet owner before spinster falls in love with his puppet and he has to arrange a comic escape from the village.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought the lore was that a bunch of Native American shamans gave up their souls to combine them into one super-being that was the Emperor

The lore is that tons of ancient shamans (I don't know if it was specifically Native American, maybe) all decided to combine their power and essence through a suicide-pact ritual to fight the danger of the Warp, and when they all died they combined into a super-being to who could exist in the warp and protect mankind from its power and influence. That super-soul was then born into a mortal body in ancient Turkey, and initially grew up as a relatively normal kid until he discovered his abilities. Then he went into hiding/disguise for thousands of years while he developed his powers and tried to steer the course of humanity until he felt ready/necessary to take up direct leadership.

Literally everything about the Emperor is insane. When I was a kid I just thought he was some regular dude who had managed to come out on top of unification and end up in charge, and then had all sorts of crazy mythology built up and assembled around him as a result of exploiting things like messiah prophecies to take control of worlds and star systems and the complexity of sending and receiving information over the entire Imperium, so the Golden Throne was basically like any normal relic/corpse display, and all the stuff he 'did' was just the result of machines, rituals, etc. I don't know if that was a better idea at all, but it made finding all the other stuff about him really batty.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

^^^ IIRC, the Emperor is supposed to be around from the dawn of civilization, because the threat of the warp emerged when people stopped basically living as nomadic hunter/gatherers and started getting time to think up inventive ways to gently caress stuff/murder people/scheme, so his arrival is basically at the dawn of 'history'.

Making the Primarchs big monster dudes is also kind of lame because I thought narratively that was the point of the ones that turned to Chaos and became Daemon Princes. Daemon Magnus is a huge fuckoff dude, but it's because he explicitly abandoned his humanity to pursue his own aggrandizement and it's reflected literally in his enormous, monstrous form. Whereas the Primarchs that didn't turn and remained loyal to humanity retained their essentially human stature. I also thought that was the point of the loyal primarchs being dead/lost, because choosing humanity also meant accepting mortal limits and, ultimately, to die as a man. The primarchs who turn may gain immortality, but it came at the price of their own identity, so they remain in the story but only as puppets and tools of the Chaos powers, not as free individuals. It was also what made Abaddon remotely interesting, because he was someone with the power and stature to have taken that deal, but he refused it because he wanted to retain his independence to pursue his own goals.

But I guess now the primarchs are all back and huge rad dudes and that's supposed to be awesome because we can mash them against the chaos ones in the middle of the board.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 3, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

GW not understanding that being the biggest doesn't mean the best of most effective certainly reflects in their design philosophy

Yea, it's become obvious that the stuff I actually liked about GW was either completely unintentional to begin with, or no longer understood by the people who are still doing it. :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

Once a games company gets to a certain level of size and popularity they can gently caress up and still have fans. This is why I continue to grieve for Arcane Legions and AT 43. They didn't hit that critical mass before game/company fuckups hit em.

Sadly GW did and can thus do stupid rear end poo poo and generally get away with it. Though Spartan Games is also somehow able to gently caress up and get away with it so maybe it's just part of the Trumpy world of poo poo we live in.

:smith: Uncharted Seas :smith:

You either die a good game, or live long enough to get hosed up by dumb companies

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GW has always been terrible about terrain, all the way back when I started they sold 'GW trees' that were just the same brush-and-flock trees used by train/scale modellers, only repackaged at a 200% markup.

Ok wait, credit where credit is due, the terrain they developed for Necromunda was legitimately good and interesting, and I which they had spent more time on that to produce a sholw shitload of card and plastic buildings.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There have literally never been models for Exodites ever, so even if you were playing them in 2nd edition when they technically had rules you had to be pretty driven to make/convert everything (although you could use the guardian kits as decent corsairs if you used all the options).

Edit: When you think about, anyone who quit 40k years ago is basically an Exodite, in that they abandoned their ancestral homeland (GW) for a better life (game) with fewer complications (bad rules and dice rolling), and managed to escape before the worlds were consumed in an orgy of consumption and opulence (end times).

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 12, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Scythe is rad, definitely recommend

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I don't get the hate for metal minis, metal is way easier to work with, more durable and holds better detail than plastic. Plus most plastic minis just don't look as nice. Even Wyrd who are making by far the most dynamic and well sculpted plastic minis still aren't making stuff that looks as good as metals from Anima. It's because plastic just doesn't hold shallow detail well. In metal and resin you can do things like have really fine edges to armored plates or really finely detailed chainmail while in plastic all of that is going to be super soft edges and get lost under primer and base coats unless you do a fair amount of light putty work to beef them up. I mean, Mantic makes ugly rear end minis, but one of their major issues is just how god drat soft the detail is on everything but they are cheap as dirt so who cares? But when you start seeing the exact same issue pop up in premium priced kits from Wyrd and GW doing poo poo like having muddy definition on fingers you have to start thinking it's a weakness of the medium and that these guys need to either start using the harder more brittle plastics that actual high detail plastic model kits use or they need to start thinking about moving more towards resin/restic like PP.

Sounds like you just volunteered to assemble my GW metal war walkers, eldar dreadnoughts, Rackham duelists and dirze, PP Nyss Hunters, etc. Metal is a fine medium but basically every company seems incapable of keeping its limits in mind when designing and you get nightmares to work with. Plastic is a lot more forgiving in that regard because you can easily use a bonding agent instead of a glue, and the miniatures have much less weight to gently caress them up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That miniature is just plainly badly designed. The sculpt is actually cool and well done, but they really don't seem to have given much consideration to its continued existence. I would hate to try and work out how to pin or brace the leg. If I had to I would probably use greenstuff to make a mold of that leg, cut it off at the knee and the rock and run a sturdy pin between them, and then recast the leg around that. In reality I would just put it in my backlog and never do anything with it like my other frustrating projects.

There are some things that metal is good/ok for. I notice that styrene plastic, while a great material, seems to be limited because the casting process doesn't seem to support undercuts very well. Normally this isn't a huge issue, you can arrange the parts so that it doesn't conflict, but it does seem like a problem on making one-piece models - I notice parts of models seem to be slightly oddly shaped or elongated to fit the casting process (it is also possible that this is just because GW is bad at doing things, but its an issue that seems to apply just to the plastic kits so I assume its related). Meanwhile it seems like metal molds have more give and can handle those undercuts. So it makes metal sometimes a superior material if you want to make one-piece models with relatively good details, like this guy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Firestorm: Planetfall has a more fantastic sci-fi aesthetic at the same scale

Huh, hadn't seen this. How does it play? I was passingly interested in the base Firestorm game, but never actually got going on it because I have no friends.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's been a while since I played, but Necromunda gave an 'underdog' bonus to the lower-tier gang so that they actually earned more experience for fighting someone higher ranked than them to try and allow them to catch up. There were also a bunch of different missions that you could use that evened the odds. I think I remember a 'shoot-out' scenario representing some of your gang running into rivals around town, so each side only got 3-4 members to bring which would allow a lower-ranked gang to balance some of the odds.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ilor posted:

Bonus experience doesn't help you when all your dudes get killed.

That shouldn't be happening to anyone though, once you lose 25% out or down you take bottle tests. I am pretty sure you can even voluntarily fail to avoid being forced into a massacre. Yea, there unbalanced matches, but what should happen is the underdog loses and advances faster anyway.

Also the balancing scenarios I mentioned.

Necromunda did have problems and you could definitely get screwed if one of you early matches was brutal and you lost gangers before you had the ability to replace them. But it didn't totally ignore the leader issue, and a modern version of the system should be able to do it better. We'll never get one though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If they re-release Necromunda it's going to be the same thing or close enough. No reason to assume they would polish it even if they were capable.

The campaign system was coarse but basically functional, you would think with 20 years we'd be able to get something refined but nope.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Scrappers isn't the Frostgrave guy, is it? I thought it was a different author going through Osprey.

Either way, I hope that it's rad as hell; I would love a crazy mutant-punk skirmish game where my guys get to die over a rusting tank of filth and radioactive sludge.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Jesus Christ, I looked up the new faction because I wanted to see a model and wound up finding a 16 minute long video of a woman doing a witch voice as she described everything. This was an official release. Why?
You weren't joking, that was horrendous. Who on earth thought that keeping that up for 15 minutes was a good plan?

I'm not particularly taken by the concept, the idea of a bunch of fairy tale bogeys loses a lot of force given how hosed up the other factions already are. And some of them like the fat pigs just look kind of goofy.

Also the concept that Menoth, first human god, was apparently unable to get a five year old child under control and settles for hurling them into hell. This is why you lose followers to Morrow, dude, that is not practical parenting advice for your followers!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Yo, link me up. I want to see this nice, new faction since it seems interesting.

Here you go! As mentioned the audio gimmick is not good and gets old very fast.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah the narration was awful, but personally I love the idea of dudes coming back from hell and using what are essentially the things people have nightmares about and the folk tales and urban legends used to scare children as actual horrific monsters to murder everyone.

"My mom used to scare me into doing my chores by saying if I didn't, then the Dread Rot would come and put a pumpkin on my head and make me one of them, ha ha, what a stor- OH GOD THEY'RE HERE THEY'RE REAL AND THEY'RE COMING FOR ME"

I can see why it doesn't exactly have universal appeal but it's definitely hitting all the right notes for me (except I still think the pigs are kind of dumb but they still fit the whole "spooky folk fable come to life" bit).

Some of it is good and some is eh. The Hollow Men, for example, I think are pretty cool, and the warbeasts are generally good (I don't particularly like the dude with a huge yoke and cages, mostly because the whole thing just seems too blocky and static). Of the three Defiers they show, I actually like the Dreamer and the Heretic well enough. The Child isn't terrible as such, its just kind of a really overdone idea and not one I think needs to be retrod again. Usually PP is better about that - like their take on Dragons is different than most fantasy stuff and that makes it interesting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TKIY posted:

Speak of the devil, a tactics article on the AoS 3" bubble thing: https://aos-tactics.com/2017/02/21/zoning-area-denial/

I mean, I'm trying but:

**SIGH**

Wait a second:

quote:

The size and shape of you base also contributes to the size of your zone bubble. Skeleton bases have a diameter of roughly a 1″. This creates a bubble with a 7″ diamator. Cavalry bases create an oval zone bubble that has a diameter of 9″ long and 7.5″ wide. You can see how bigger and longer bases can help you deny larger areas.

I thought that in AoS bases are purely decorate and all measuring should be done from the actual model itself?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TKIY posted:

Even the die hardiest of die hards plays base to base now.

Next you will be telling me that people don't even measure turns as part of model movement. :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Episode 1 was always going to be poo poo because they decided to hang their whole reboot around some 10 year old kid. And even when kids are passable actors they need directors and development with their poo poo firmly together to make it work, which was not happening. There was no way that Episode 1 was going to go well when one of the main pivots of the whole thing was 'Hey, you remember that unstoppable terrifying badass from the original movies that was literally the terror of the galaxy? Ok, well here he is as a doofy kid delivering some of the worst dialogue ever written. Enjoy!'

If anyone had any sense, Annikin would have have been already grown up and some sort of bad-boy fighter ace in the navy who doesn't like to play by your rules, man. Then the relationship between him and Padme would have had some establishment in the first movie, and you could have set the stage for him being a kind of reckless dude who was always willing to play fast and dangerous to get the job done, and have that be the lever into the dark side.

Also then Yoda being 'He's too old' about Luke would have been a subtle callback to the last time they decided that training up some backwater pilot was a good idea.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I haven't seen that yet, but I can't really love any Dr. Strange movie where he isn't played by Vincent Price.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

If that's the case, you're looking for a Paradox game like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings. Total war is half about epic battles and the political AI isn't that great.

That does make sense, after all it's called 'Total War', not 'Half War, Half Treaties' or 'Mostly Political Posturing and Strategic Marriages, With a Little War When We Run Out of Patience'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

The half-assed political system of the Rome 2 Greek campaigns was annoying. Who wants to have to assassinate their best general just because he was from a different political party? :mad:
Someone who knows that being on the right team is more important than being on the winning one!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Irate Tree posted:

I'm still annoyed at the fact that, all Eldar ruins seem to only consist of glyphs. No walls, no pillars nor towers, just - glyphs...

The real reason it's called the 'Fall' is that the Eldar never actually mastered basic construction elements, they just stacked up glyphs until the whole pile gave way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pash posted:

So if the warscrolls and points are part of the extras what does the free app actually have in it? Cause from the sounds of it its just an app you can open that tells you you need to pay to do anything else with it...

It comes with the legacy warscrolls for Bretonnia.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well it probably causes all sorts of confusion and mistakes when people are trying to roll the buckets of dice required in a game.

Also I assume it will make some people frantically scramble to switch out their 'lucky' dice for their 'unlucky' ones or otherwise tamper with their dice-rolling rituals.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

When you think about it, AOS is a very elegant answer to this whol dice-rolling problem, because if you can end the game immediately with controlled dice/stacked abilities, then you don't need to worry about how to roll dice or guarantee their randomness at all!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Moola posted:

just the ice cream for me thanks

Is Zerkova good outside theme now?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

What the? Space knights would be :krad: and go with retro wave

Am I crazy or was there some sort of 80s cartoon where people rode flying robotic horses but had lances and stuff to do space jousts with? Because that would be rad.

I will settle for someone turning on an Iron Men machine and it churning out ROMs, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Seriously, click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JdTo29dlnE

I have no idea if this was on where you are, probably not if you're in the states because this was a kiwi show, but it's off the charts nostalgia for my childhood here in Arrakis Australia

I watched that! Although it wasn't anything I had seen as a kid, (un)fortunately. I was thinking of something a lot more like Saber Rider, only with knights, and I have a clear mental image of someone riding a robot horse that has rockets instead of legs. Its possible I made this up though. Maybe it was some sort of voltron thing?

Also, the 80s had a weird number of space-hero shows featuring a dude in a cowboy hat.

When are space cowboys due for their revival? I totally want a guy with a cyborg horse where his horse turns into a robot dude with a rocket launcher, I don't remember Bravestarr being that rad.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

How dare you play this game and then post about it reasonably! I said good day sir!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Honestly I would not be surprised if any uptick in AOS is because a bunch of people realized that as bad as it is, you can still reliably find a GW game in most places. There are lots of games that are much better, but you will never get a chance to play unless you buy all the stuff for both armies and then browbeat some nerd into playing it with you. It sucks, but GW, even at AOS levels, is essentially the McDonalds of wargaming - yea, its dull and crappy and probably bad for you, but you can get the same reliable set of choices all across the country. :shrug:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sisters of Silence look decent. they seem to have somehow avoided being rolled in a bitz-bin and ended up with a pretty clean profile by comparison. I wonder how that happened?

There was a time when actual Sisters of Silence models would have made me go all-in on an imperial faction because I thought they were so rad. I still think they're rad but I can't summon the energy to try and play 40k again before it self-destructs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are there any stories about the Imperial bureaucracy? It must be an absolute nightmare trying to do your tax return for example.

I don't know if there are any actual books or anything, but if you get the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer or the Munitorum Manual they are basically in-universe books that play all the imperial stuff straight. So the Primer includes the process for reporting that your weapon/equipment has been lost or damaged, and implies you'll get whipped for completing it wrong. There is also stuff like a page that has 'THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK. DO NOT MARK ON PAIN OF DEATH' on it, etc.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

mcjomar posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/gw-breaking-updated-necromunda-returns.html

So that's apparently a thing.

On the one hand, I've seen GW produce worse terrain.
On the other hand, the point of Necromunda was that it was gang fights in a big city, not frontline (or spec ops) battles using 40k armies.
On the other other hand, Gorkamorka, and Mordheim were a thing.
But on the other other other hand, why the hell does it have to be scouts again?
I mean, Lost Patrol already exists.

I'll wait for a rules review because holy poo poo if they think they can replace Necromunda with this.
Although I'll be curious to see if it has a working campaign system that isn't made of poo poo.

I am really put off by this for a couple reasons. First, the interesting thing about Necromunda was that it was a hive war with all these different human factions. This is basically just a really small 40k game with some sort of progression system, which is.... ok, I guess, but if I wanted to play tiny complicated games of 40k, I still own the 2ed books so there is nothing stopping me. Making it into essentially 40k, the skirmish game now that we've realized we made the base game huge isn't really compelling to me.

Second, that terrain is trash. I'm not talking about how it looks, although I am also not particularly taken by it, but how it works on a table. You get basically one big piece of terrain with two levels? That's it? The original Necromunda box gave you three distinct pieces of terrain with 2-3 levels, and connectors that would work at multiple heights so that you could arrange them in different ways. Yes, they were cardboard, but we played with those things for years and they were rad, and the entire point was to give you enough terrain to meaningfully clog a board right out of the box. This doesn't look like it comes close to getting the sort of tight-fought battles and claustrophobia that really made Necromunda function differently than the open fields of 40k.

Last, although this kind of loops back to the first, we're making it Space Marines vs. Orks? Really? Thanks for the most boring combination you have only retrod a dozen times. If this is supposed to be the Battle for Armageddon, why the hell isn't it Imperial Guard vs Orks to represent the fall of Hades Hive? That's like a pivotal moment in the narrative and the history of 40k, why wouldn't you showcase it for this instead of whatever bullshit with SM scouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't really hate those dwarves, but I agree with the person that couldn't work out what game they were for. My initial reaction was 'Wow, 40k is getting Demiurge back on the tabletop? It really is the end times'.

• Locked thread