Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/804153691599085568

quote:

Well, this is it. On December 31, 2016, we will bid adieu to the ambitious but riddled with managerial missteps venture that was Cyanogen. In the ongoing saga of Cyanogen's "reorganization" efforts, we've seen Kirk McMaster being ousted as CEO and replaced by Lior Tal, followed by a modular OS announcement, then we started hearing rumbles of layoffs, office closures, and more, which ended with a rather public finger pointing and break up with Steve Kondik, the guy behind Cyanogen and CyanogenMod.

Cyanogen announced the shut down in a very short blog post, stating:

quote:

As part of the ongoing consolidation of Cyanogen, all services and Cyanogen-supported nightly builds will be discontinued no later than 12/31/16. The open source project and source code will remain available for anyone who wants to build CyanogenMod personally.

If you own a device running a Cyanogen OS ROM, you may want to start looking for alternatives. Your best bet is to try to find a ROM for your phone from CyanogenMod, the non-commercial project managed by plenty of eager developers who passionately try to keep all devices updated with the latest nightlies.

RIP, Cyanogen. That bullet, it ricocheted off Google's armor and came back straight into your heart.
it's dead and nobody knows what's going to happen next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
android belongs in the garbage

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

qirex posted:

it's dead and nobody knows what's going to happen next

life carries on quite easily 🎄

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Dust. Wind. Dude.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i guess i don't know what cyanogen is or why anyone would be upset that it is now kaput

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steve Kondik is from Pittsburgh.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao custom ROMs for phones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

angry_keebler posted:

i guess i don't know what cyanogen is or why anyone would be upset that it is now kaput

you know those people who cj their androids to overclock them or run 6 torrent clients at the same time? they all use cyanogen roms

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good

Apr 7, 2003

I lust for android death.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
someone find some fat nerds crying about this and post them ITT so i may hedonistically enjoy their pain tia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

someone find some fat nerds crying about this and post them ITT so i may hedonistically enjoy their pain tia

I'm not fuckin going into the grays

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i put cm7 on my droid 2 and it sucked g*d d*mn rear end!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Annual Gift Panda posted:

android belongs in the garbage

mlyp

much like your pandas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my open sores phone :sad:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

qirex posted:

you know those people who cj their androids to overclock them or run 6 torrent clients at the same time? they all use cyanogen roms

oh, the sort of person that drops the word intriguing into every conversation

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

quote:

The Management posted:

my open sores phone :sad:
/
:sad:
/

/
:sad:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

qirex posted:

RIP, Cyanogen. That bullet, it ricocheted off Google's armor and came back straight into your heart.

lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
2016 claims another :angel:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A modded ROM has a CEO? Why?

Who's the CEO of the The Homebrew Channel?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
In 2013, project founder Steve Kondik announced that venture funding had been obtained to establish Cyanogen Inc. as a commercial enterprise. This change has led to controversy within the community.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
bring back the nexus phones

Apr 7, 2003

fack you posted:

bring back the nexus phones

I had a Galaxy Nexus and it was a tremendous piece of poo poo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

i put cm7 on my droid 2 and it sucked g*d d*mn rear end!!

that's an odd name for a rom

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
G1 -> nexus -> galaxy nexus -> nexus 5 -> huawei honor 5x running cyanogenmod lmao how did i get to this point gently caress you google

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
good

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
this is a guy who launched a startup using his internet hacker name as the product, staffed it entirely with his friends, and tried to get his weekend project installed stock on chinaphones?

who is the real loser here? because it sure isn't steve kondik

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Incomplete Fish posted:

this is a guy who launched a startup using his internet hacker name as the product, staffed it entirely with his friends, and tried to get his weekend project installed stock on chinaphones?

who is the real loser here? because it sure isn't steve kondik

lmao so it's the Ultima of smartphone s

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

I had a Galaxy Nexus and it was a tremendous piece of poo poo.

fack you posted:

bring back non-samsung nexus phones

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Citizen Tayne posted:

I lust for anroid death.

ftfy

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

cyanogen mod was comically awful and it only took the slightest misstep to gently caress up your phone for good

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

pram posted:

paging maximum leader to the thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

cyanogen mod was comically awful and it only took the slightest misstep to gently caress up your phone for good

same but android

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

same but android

🤔

(i have no idea what this is on ios probably a palm tree)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

🤔

(i have no idea what this is on ios probably a palm tree)

it's a real emoji so it's thinking face

it's probably an empty block or a diamond with a question mark on a lot of anroids because lol @ waiting for your carrier to push updates

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

lol @ waiting for your carrier to push updates

anroid is a curse upon poor souls that deserve it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

It's called the Google Pixel friend

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i used cyanogen on my original droid 2009 and it ruined it. made it so i couldnt answer my phone and it would keep ringing forever. i mean it wouldnt stop until i pulled the battery. RIP

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lol those lovely oneplus phones running on cyanogen have spread through my office like loving ebola

oops the company responsible for the software on my phone has decided to shut down with one weeks notice

*just linux phone things*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

mishaq posted:

anroid is a curse upon poor souls that deserve it

what other choice is there, go back to mid 2000's flip phones?

• Locked thread