Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Dicky mouse posted:

what other choice is there, go back to mid 2000's flip phones?

we can do better than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the matrix didn't age well

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Don't worry, Ubuntu phone is still going to save us all.

Someday.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Dicky mouse posted:

ubuntu phone obviously

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

lancemantis posted:

the matrix didn't age well

Actually,

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Migishu posted:

Actually,

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dicky mouse posted:

ipone lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
flip phones were dope

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

wish i could get a flip phone again
no better feeling than flipping the phone open the answer it then flipping it closed again to stop the call
all one handed like a baller

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Dicky mouse posted:

hello moto

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

lmao at all this android cyanide bullshit. go to apple.com and get a good phone ffs.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

oh no blimp issue posted:

no better feeling than flipping the phone open the answer it then flipping it closed again to stop the call

this x a million

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Origin posted:

lmao at all this android cyanide bullshit. go to apple.com and get a good phone ffs.

*in a very smythe voice* apple phones run the wrong os and have inferior hardware, op

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress am I supposed to janitor an iPhone huh?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

back when I was poverty stricken i had an android that was obsolete out the box (they all are).

i installed cyanogenmod after using some really sketchy program to "root" my phone. it was just as lovely as the stock firmware with the added bonus of even more jerky animations. also some terrible artwork was included that looked like it came straight out of 2001 era linux wallpapers

so it turns out it was actually run by a group of children. who would have guessed?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this is literally what you get when you install cyanogen mod on your android

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSc_9CLNGrI

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thats pretty much what I would expect from a childs phone mod community

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

all one handed like james t. kirk, captain of the starship enterprise

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
i have a backup flip phone i can sim-swap for reasons such as this.

also lol @ garbage-tier poo poo like cm having c-level anything. i used to want a device to put it on. i also had a meth habit at the time.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

hang up on a motherfucker like a boss

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you can still get flip phones if you want to import them from japan. hell there are even a number with android 6.0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

peep this dumb poo poo http://engpat.kipris.or.kr/engpat/1020160047958.pdf?method=fullText&applno=1020160047958&pub_reg=P&correctionSeq=null&download=Y

natural evolution of the flip phone, samsung filed a patent for foldable phones

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Skim Milk posted:

*in a very smythe voice* apple phones run the wrong os and have inferior hardware, op

*swipes left on home screen, animates smoothly* *phone still supported two months after release*

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Origin posted:

*swipes left on home screen, animates smoothly* *phone still supported two months after release*

thoogle

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

OldAlias posted:

you can still get flip phones if you want to import them from japan. hell there are even a number with android 6.0

still love the anecdote about the Fujitsu F-Phone

They feature a nearly invisible 'privacy mode' that hides missed calls, emails and texts from any contacts that are designated as private.
The only indication that such a person has got in touch is a subtle change in the colour of shape of how the battery level icon of the network signal antenna bars are shown.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

we can do better than that

In the latest episode of Diggnation, Kevin Rose (at ~38:30) claims to know some details about the Apple phone from a "solid" source.

According to Rose, little bit of inside info on the Apple phone:

- Going to be coming out in January
- All phone providers
- "It's small as sh*t"
- Don't know anything about the Operating System
- The OS is supposed to be "cool"
- Doing some unique things
- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.
- 4GB ($249) and 8GB ($449)
- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard
- Maybe touch screen?

Kevin Rose was co-host of The Screen Savers on Tech TV and later started Digg.com. Last year, he offered last minute rumors prior to Macworld San Francisco which turned out to be accurate. He also predicted the iPod nano.

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/03/iphone-4gb-and-8gb-coming-in-january/

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I believe it when I see it.

But I'm now cautiously optimistic. :p

Jan 2007 is sooner that I expected. I thought March or April would be more realistic.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cyanogen the rom is not dead you silly people. cyanogen the stealth microsoft effort to fracture the android ecosystem with a more microsoft-aligned splinter resulting, which made google retaliate with the pixel (making the "latest" android something they control exclusively), is dead

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

OldAlias posted:

ban for anime

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

cyanogen the rom is not dead you silly people. cyanogen the stealth microsoft effort to fracture the android ecosystem with a more microsoft-aligned splinter resulting, which made google retaliate with the pixel (making the "latest" android something they control exclusively), is dead

source your quotes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think it is terribly controversial, microsoft pumped in $70 million into cyanogen the company, and the only thing it really offered different from the community cyanogen mod rom was stuff like cortana integration, replacing the dialer/messaging app with skype, crowbar onenote into every crevice of the os, toss in a microsoft camera app i don't know, etc. (see https://mod.life/mods)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

i don't think it is terribly controversial, microsoft pumped in $70 million into cyanogen the company, and the only thing it really offered different from the community cyanogen mod rom was stuff like cortana integration, replacing the dialer/messaging app with skype, crowbar onenote into every crevice of the os, toss in a microsoft camera app i don't know, etc. (see https://mod.life/mods)

nothin' beats the mod life
stabbin' folks with my mod knife

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
it doesnt seem like anyone was actually using this "cyanogen" phone linux

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

it doesnt seem like anyone was actually using this "cyanogen" phone linux

I think the oneplus phones did and that was it, so basically yea

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I installed ParanoidAndroid

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when cyanogen couldn't make 911 calls lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

no I didn't know what it was until this thread

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
is this bigger in Europe? I had this on my phone, and I'm not even a computer man. lots of my friends as well. it let me change the color of my phone led.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

akadajet posted:

this is literally what you get when you install cyanogen mod on your android

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSc_9CLNGrI

it's telling that the video suggestions for that video are all Alex Jones videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

it's telling that the video suggestions for that video are all Alex Jones videos

Telling about your viewing history maybe because I just get a bunch of other boot screen animations and dumb poo poo top 10 lists

• Locked thread