Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I have a 44 GB Steam game that I installed to my primary SSD that I would like to move to a mechanical drive to free up space, and I'd prefer to not have to worry about re-downloading the game. I know how to create junctions, but I'd really prefer to move the game and avoid that step just for the sake of making my directories easier to manage. Also there are other games that I will be moving as well, and I'm trying to make the process as smooth as possible.

I tried following steps that I found online, but they did not work for me. The steps were laid out for How to Move a PC Game (Without Re-Downloading It).

The problem is that it would delete the files I had moved and re-download the whole games. That is a substantial waste of time. I hope that using junctions is not the only workaround in my situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I did this recently with Vermintide, which is like 40 gigs. I just cut + pasted the game's directory to the other drive. I'll move it back if I feel like playing it again. I think it's about as easy as that.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

It'll seem like it's preparing to download, but really it's just rummaging through the files making sure they're all there. From my experience it works fine as long as you tell the thing to download into the exact spot all the already existing files are.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Sibilant Crisp posted:

It'll seem like it's preparing to download, but really it's just rummaging through the files making sure they're all there. From my experience it works fine as long as you tell the thing to download into the exact spot all the already existing files are.

Did this with GTA 5, the big thing is to make sure you remove the old steam library path and then put the files in the new path. Once there re download and it will verify files and recreate paths for the game and do a few small downloads. It is a ton simpler then it used to be.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

G-Philez posted:

I have a 44 GB Steam game that I installed to my primary SSD that I would like to move to a mechanical drive to free up space, and I'd prefer to not have to worry about re-downloading the game. I know how to create junctions, but I'd really prefer to move the game and avoid that step just for the sake of making my directories easier to manage. Also there are other games that I will be moving as well, and I'm trying to make the process as smooth as possible.

I tried following steps that I found online, but they did not work for me. The steps were laid out for How to Move a PC Game (Without Re-Downloading It).

The problem is that it would delete the files I had moved and re-download the whole games. That is a substantial waste of time. I hope that using junctions is not the only workaround in my situation.

You can create a Steam Backup and then reinstall using that. If it's new enough to be that huge you can most likely use Steam Backup.

• Locked thread