Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

3. Yuri On Ice: I didn't watch any of this and I won't because it has no elements that interest me. I don't have a problem with the subject matter but it boggles my mind as to why anime fans found it so popular given usual proclivities.
so how does that make it the worst anime of the year if you didnt watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also anime fans liked yuri on ice because women watch anime and like hot dudes in skintight skating outfits flirting with each other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's go through some of relin's posts to find out

quote:

lol this narcissist white bitch thinks people are glaring at her because her legs on spread on a half full train they're glaring because they have to take public transportation from their lovely jobs to their lovely families and vice versa

quote:

duh but this woman obv thinks that knowing about obscure things puts her above her peers

quote:

the fat white girl supply is overflowing in the goblet of online dating. lower your standards

hm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can i vote for yurikuma again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah but the manga is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway uhhhhhh grimgar was the worst show i actually watched any of so i guess that

the first two eps were sort of interesting but the mage dude's death scene was handled so hamhandedly that i didnt want to keep watching. it's like, the only show i dropped this year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

1. Berserk had many faults, but the one thing that really blew it out of the water was the terrible CG direction. The #1 most common issue was a fixed FoV making everything too tight and square, especially when comparing to manga panels that, with a little fisheye, they could have nailed. An honest "Do you even know what the gently caress you're doing?" to the director and animators.

The director's actually really good, but he'd never worked in 3D before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he's a talented director of fast, 2d, experimental comedies. his strengths are in quick cuts for comedic effect and frantic, exaggerated motion. those are definitely things berserk 2016 tries to do, it just fails because they don't know how to accomplish those things in 3d. check out the monogatari op he animated himself or any given ten seconds of teekyu for him playing to his strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wiuoRCcwE

he's done 2d action shows, like black cat and devil may cry, but they were similarly kind of dull and shot weirdly. It also seems like he's a very hands-on, 'i'll animate this shot myself' kind of director. (he animates Teekyu all by himself, and whenever he's brought in to pinch-hit he seems to do a lot of the work all by himself, like on Gurren Lagann or with that Monogatari opening), which naturally you can't do at all in 3D. I think he's just a guy who's good at comedy and not that great at dark action, and combine that with being unfamiliar with 3d and 3d limiting a lot of the things he likes to do, it's not hard to see why berserk 2016 didn't go down that smooth. He's not a hack or lazy, he just wasn't in a position to work to his strengths.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 26, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

good point. honorary mention to kiznavier for having a good 2-3 episodes about the manga girl and basically nothing on either side of that.
the 2-3 eps about the manga girl were bad because they ended up with the implication that she was gonna be straight now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I never got that impression and figured she was just bisexual
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

its very much a show for 10 year old girls, so unless you happen to be stuck at that age level mentally im gonna say, don't watch it
/
MAN WITH SHONEN AVATAR

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

i had hoped people are smart enough to see the difference between shonen/shoujo written for 15 year olds and 10 year olds, but apparently not
the difference is mostly titties

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Princess tutu went above and beyond :colbert:
i think princess tutu was aimed at teenagers more than kids, the manga ran in a seinen magazine and while the show aired on Kids' Network that channel runs more teen-focused stuff late at night. And it ran on NHK too but I can't imagine it had an early morning timeslot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the original show is barely animated, but 'ugly' isn't a word i'd use for a show with such great background art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'how do you know those things?'

*gets heart squeezed to death*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why would they believe him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

subaru realizes his own limitations and that he has to defer to people who have more experience and knowledge than him, while supporting them as best he can.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

That'd be fine if he'd just up and asked for it, but the first 15 episodes was just them cleaning up his poo poo.
because he needs to get over himself enough to realize he has to ask for it. this is what's called a character arc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

konosuba and re:zero have almost nothing in common besides 'guy gets taken to fantasy world' so iunno why you keep making that comparison. One's a broad sex comedy, the other's a fairly serious action thriller. Konosuba's about how being a lovely person doesn't mean you can't enjoy the world around you, Re:Zero's about how a lovely person learns to stop being so lovely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

their premises aren't the same at all tho. konosuba doesn't even have the timeloop aspect that makes re:zero re:zero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A premise is just the foundation of a story. Sharing a premise doesn't make them similar shows or stories beyond that.
th, then why are you comparing them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

also i guess this means i should just end voting for best anime this weekend too.

yea

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

with that of a moody dark-haired girl with purple eyes that fights by being very fast and pouring on the DPS
this part is not the same

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think a show can have female characters without expecting the audience to get off to them. hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ken akamatsu is good and under my protection, but negima is his real masterpiece because it ends with a lesbian wedding

• Locked thread