Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All of mine are from the beginning of the year because that's how I burned out on anime for the summer.

3. Cheer Boys might have had the weirdest problem with not being gay enough. We'd been watching Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu and Orenchi no Furo Jijou between full shows so I stared this mostly as a joke. Plex says we dropped it at episode 4.

2. Bakuon. I've never seen so many forcedmeme characters in one show. We get it, it's The Stig in a fuku. I ride, this somehow didn't hold my interest. ATGATT BITCHES.

1. Berserk had many faults, but the one thing that really blew it out of the water was the terrible CG direction. The #1 most common issue was a fixed FoV making everything too tight and square, especially when comparing to manga panels that, with a little fisheye, they could have nailed. An honest "Do you even know what the gently caress you're doing?" to the director and animators.

Avoided: Sailor Moon Crystal. I can't be convinced this has gotten any better.

False advertising award: Yuri On Ice.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

The director's actually really good, but he'd never worked in 3D before.

I kept hearing this and wasn't convinced. A good director can always at least explain what he wants, like a wider shot, or give the artists a reference or something. It's more like he didn't want to do the 3D and handed it off to somebody else entirely. Really, it got worse after the first episode; the funky-looking skeletons and off-model bullshit kinda fit the 'wtf is going on' tone. It was the totally normal poo poo that they couldn't get right.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

subaru getting unbearable is the point of the middle arc though

He's kinda unbearably stupid from the very beginning, and not in a useful or entertaining way. By the time he figures out the respawns, he stops really trying to do anything differently each time.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"Hi Rem. Hi Ram. I'm Subaru. I know things. Don't worry about it."

Like, five episodes of bullshit averted right there.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"I want a job!"

vs.

"Treat me like family and I will protect you the same."

It's not hard.

I don't think you quite understand how hard Subaru killed this show for me. I'd have to go back to like episode 13 or 14 before watching through the end because I really stopped caring for his domestic adventures and stopped paying attention.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All that derailment was just so he could get with Rem, anyway.

The whole premise of these shows is that NEETs get carried through life, but are able to stand on their own in another world. Instead, Subaru just keeps getting carried.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 31, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That'd be fine if he'd just up and asked for it, but the first 15 episodes was just them cleaning up his poo poo.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Did we really need six or seven episodes for that? Holy poo poo.

Ergo: Subaru is dumb as rocks.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I didn't put it in my worse shows, and I didn't put it in my best shows. I just wanted to express that Subaru was a dumbshit for far too long (at least half the series) and I saw no indication that he was getting any smarter. "Let me be your servant" would have been funny and acceptable for one attempt, and then he could try literally anything else on the next round. The whole domestic arc is just to hook him up with Rem, and not even Felix could save the show for me at that point.

I'm not a loving imbecile. I get it. He had to learn to ask for help. He could at least have said to himself "poo poo, I died. Maybe let's try something else this time." and gotten a slightly more interesting exploration going on. I hear that this show is not great to binge, and I would agree; that arc was torturous. Maybe it was paced completely differently in the manga.

I went over and skimmed the 'best of 2016' thread to see if this was another one of those "You either liked Kabaneri, or you watched Attack on Titan and hated Kabaneri" splits with Konosuba. They fall right together most of the time, so I don't know.

hoobajoo posted:

A little late on the re:zero talk, but I'ma say what I think anyway. It's not bad, but in not being terrible, it is something worse: bland. It simultaneously is incredibly pandering, but lacks any sense of fun to it. If you're interested in otaku protagonists, groundhog's day style time loops, and isekai, there's so many better shows you could watch for any of those themes.
I like this more general assessment from the Jojo thread. Maybe the show just bugged me overall and I'm picking on Subaru unjustly because I just don't remember enough of it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

space dandy's dub rules, actually

One Punch Man came out alright too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Konosuba and Re:Zero are the same doncha know

"These shows have NOTHING in common!"

mycot posted:

Something I always find interesting in these threads is that in order to really dislike something, you needed to have given it a chance.

But you're still not allowed to mildly dislike something. All love or all hate all the way.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I thought I'd forgotten to put Rokka in my list but, yeah, that was 2015.

It just failed to keep us on past episode 3 I think. Something about there being one too many heroes than the prophecy called for. Maybe we were calling the plot too early, but it sounds more like we were giving them too much credit.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the stuff past episode 3 was the best part of rokka though

Well, that's the foible of a three episode test.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

If the ending arcs are bad they can ruin the entire show

YMMV but I think the last two episodes of Kabaneri were when it finally hit stride, with the first two episodes following right behind. It's the middle eight episodes that it seemed to forget to just be Aɴɪᴍᴇ ᴀs Fᴜᴄᴋ and kinda sucked to sit through.

I mean... he suplexed a train! Right after I said, out-loud, 'Suplex the train!'

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Berserk is still the worst anime of the year, vote be damned.

The animation and directing was bad, but I can see the appeal of the arc. It's right where it deserves to be after seeing harder complaints about the others.

• Locked thread