Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what will happen in the winter transfer window
joey barton will do a thing
big sam will do a thing
arsenal fans will meltdown
manchester united fans will meltdown
both sets of fans will melt down
gay for pay 3rd party ownership
Tons of Liverpool fanfiction
View Results

• Locked thread
Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Does anyone in here watch the Asian CL? I wonder if these teams are actually any good, even if just in the frame of their continental opponents. Like, are they as good as the top Japanese or Korean teams?
I don't watch it that often since the AFC is incompetent at distributing rights and advertising, so it doesn't actually air or get advertised in Australia (or, I think, Japan). But from the few online streams I've seen it's like... compared to A-League sides, it's like... good Chinese sides have three really good foreign players, usually one huge Australian centre-back, and then just complete dross and no plan besides 'pass it to those three players'.

A lot of Australians go there because the level is a lot lower than the money on offer, and since there's a 3+1 foreigner rule (the +1 being 'an Asian player) in the ACL and CSL, they often just get whatever above-average A-League defender they can find. Annoyingly they occasionally pluck Australian players from decent European competitions, so we have like 5-6 regular internationals playing there. Whenever interviewed they seem to agree that the league is a terrible, unprofessional farce but some of the individuals on offer are just leagues above, doing whatever the hell they want. But for all the big-name foreign coaches, tactically the level is abject, and though the Evergrandes/etc average out to being decent the worst teams are utter garbage.

tl;dr - they have a few teams that are decent, the individuals they can attract are enough to uplift their best teams into relative powerhouses, but the league as a whole is terrible and the J-/K-Leagues are still universally regarded as the best in the region.

oh i got beaten to the effortpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Speaking of China, Bayer Leverkusen permacrock Robbie Kruse is apparently headed to Lianong Whowin. Kruse was probably good once but he's more recently been shown reminding us all of how important match sharpness is by managing to be a liability against Thailand.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Fulham? Also the Wanderers absolutely robbed that Saudi team and it owned, they had like 5 genuine penalty shouts turned down
The best part was the referee was the same guy who was completely intimidated by the home crowd in the World Cup 2014 opener and screwed Croatia over. Evidently, six months later, he'd learned his lesson and instead screwed the home side over, and it was amazing.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
John Obi Mikel/Mikel John Obi's the next one off to China. Is he seriously only 29? Feels like he's been around forever.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Teeth supposedly are a good sign of overall fitness etc?
explains the recent fortunes of the English tbh

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Journeyman Eredivisie defender Jordy Buijs has signed for Sydney FC for the rest of the season, after the club he was at went bankrupt a few months after signing him. Don't suppose anyone here's seen him play?

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

oliwan posted:

he's bad op
gently caress. Still, thanks.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
The Chinese FA is reportedly going to reduce the Chinese foreigner quota to three in any matchday squad, rather than four (with one needing to be Asian). Midway through the transfer window, a couple of months before the season starts.

That probably brings an end to their quest to sign the entire Australian national team, then.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
'An undisclosed Chinese club' missed the memo about the AFC foreigner slot being removed and is apparently going to sign Milos Degenek of 1860 Munich/managing to look routinely outclassed at rightback against Thailand/the guy who IIRC made the cross that Dier turned into his own net that one time fame.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Speaking of Belgium, Mat Ryan's apparently escaped the car fire that was once known as Valencia to sign for Genk on loan 'til the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Reading have brought in a few players and hell, I'm happy but would have liked a striker
Reading did bid for Luzern/Australia striker Tomi Juric, and he's definitely Championship quality I'd say, but he's unprolific, injury-prone and I doubt he's up to Premiership standard so it'd be a slightly weird signing considering you're in with a good shout of promotion.

And yeah echoing the thoughts above, Sainsbury is a good defender and was only squeezed out by the removal of a foreign place after (apparently) excelling last year, but I'd imagine he's very much a squad player. IIRC he missed the 2014 World Cup when he accidentally kicked a sprinkler while warming up for PEC Zwolle and fractured his foot.

• Locked thread