Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

why can't I be a feminist as a man, and instead have to be an "ally"? (i'm assuming that's hiw this works)

Why get upset about it? I'd like to think of myself as a feminist but if women don't think I deserve the title I'm going to consider myself rather than arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the trump tutelage posted:

Doesn't this presuppose that there's such a thing as a consensus amongst women about the label, that there are clear boundaries that can be policed, that someone has the authority to police them, that women have a special access to truth and knowledge, or that such a thing as a mode of thinking confers a label to be earned?

I don't think any of that is true. Or falsifiable, for that matter. We can't even reach consensus on what constitutes "woman", so who are these women who disapprove of you calling yourself a feminist, and why are they more authoritative than the ones who approve or don't care either way? I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding men avoiding label, albeit purely as a social lubricant to avoid digressions like this. However, what you wrote strikes me as completely absurd once you start unpacking it.

Nobody cares what you think

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't men just...I don't know, swallow it? Get over themselves? Hemming and hawing about not feeling welcome or whatever seems like the height of weakness, and blindness, and exactly like all the white supremacists who believe that being criticized for their actions is as bad as racism.

If these people haven't been reached yet, they're probably not going to be.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharkie posted:

Also, fun housework story: over Christmas my 12 year old cousin saw his dad doing dishes and laughed and said he was doing "women's work." Now this is a kid who regularly spends time with my other cousin and her wife, who both have awesome careers and also do lots of farm work, repair work, and other tough stuff, etc. :smith: Fortunately they overheard him say it, so guess who ended up doing dishes for everyone?

LOL that's perfect. That's how you fix broken baby men. No matter their size.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Canadian Boy posted:

This thread is interesting but the amount of sexism TB throws around in her posting is really hypocritical.

Man it makes it tough, huh. How are you ever gonna get a job when women are talking poo poo on the internet?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo_Crimson posted:

It has (to an extent), same with "guys". Problem is they used to be male terms that became gender-neutral, while there has never been a female term that has done so.

There should be a series where people call a mixed group "gals" and see what happens.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

golly the mods were so horrified by that they gave him a week to think about what he'd done

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You are

Nevvy Z posted:

1. Listen, you incredible nitwit. You simpering bufoon. You complete rear end. You misandrist. Damaging causes by being angry and aggressive is an actual thing that happens, you might not like it, but it's a huge turn off for people who ask questions to then get yelled at. It does, in fact, make other people less inclined to participate. And there is such a thing as being too big of an rear end in a top hat, that's not a tone argument. I would go so far as to say that if someone is turned off by your hostility and you trot this out you are straight up dismissing their legitimate feelings because they are inconvenient to you. Denying their lived exerience, as they say.

drat, this is a crippling blow to feminism, it approaches "men and their petulant behavior" in its damaging effects.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nevvy Z posted:

Is that what you think I was trying to do there? Interesting.

It's actually really uninteresting at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BarbarianElephant posted:

I would have said the same thing to a guy who said he put a baby on the floor.

Do you understand that a man wouldn't have had a baby forced on him

• Locked thread