Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The player is generally expected to take the beachfront directly in front of them, which happens to be right smack in front of the heavily fortified, very chokepoint-y entrance ramp to the city. There's room to build up a significant base out on the beach, and more than enough resources to get you going... but again, the entrance is a very fortified, very chokepoint-y ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Which is actually another example of good design. They give you all those scouting tools to encourage you to try something else, but if you just take the first thing you're offered and don't want to think too much, you're given an OK place for a base, but a very difficult defence you have to break through if you still don't want to scout around it, and if you're a turtle player, you're just being given what you wanted to get anyway.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yup. That chokepoint works BOTH ways.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you like setting up fortresses and towers and watching the enemy haplessly die in droves before them it's wonderful. :)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Poil posted:

If you like setting up fortresses and towers and watching the enemy haplessly die in droves before them it's wonderful. :)

This was me before I discovered I was using RTSes as a poor man's substitute for tower defense.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

This was me before I discovered I was using RTSes as a poor man's substitute for tower defense.

I consider the only worthwhile tower defense I’ve ever played to actually be one of the WC3 scenarios called Skibi’s TD. To this day it remains the only game I have ever played which I can’t beat on hard mode. I am 60% confident in fact that no one has ever actually done it on hard mode.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The unitless solution to transport was the linchpin there, that's pretty great. Do you think they gave much thought to god powers when they were designing missions?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Glazius posted:

The unitless solution to transport was the linchpin there, that's pretty great. Do you think they gave much thought to god powers when they were designing missions?

There's quite a few missions where you either have irregular god powers or play as a different god, so probably.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
They could also have very easily simply made the target island not have an area large and open enough for the passage.

They set you up with a Major God who has access to the power, start you in an early enough age that you can choose that power, and don't prevent you from using the power on that island.

If they thought about the power at all, they were clearly okay with it.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

BlazetheInferno posted:

They could also have very easily simply made the target island not have an area large and open enough for the passage.

They set you up with a Major God who has access to the power, start you in an early enough age that you can choose that power, and don't prevent you from using the power on that island.

If they thought about the power at all, they were clearly okay with it.

Yeah, it’s not like it makes some kind of big difference, just saves 45 seconds of watching boats sail untouched past a complete lack of defenses

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017
Reading the LP got me to play Age of Mythology again, and I'm appreciating the elegance of Melth's strategies more now. I'm beating the Greek campaign through pure brute force macro and the broken corpses of my own men on Hard, and he did most of these without a single casualty on Titan. And significantly faster.

My hats off to you, dude.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's from a while back, but a Zoroastrian Persia civilization would be completely viable.

It's important to know that the conception of Zoroastrianism as being monotheistic is very much a product of the Sassanids and post-Islamic changes. In truth Zoroastrianism, for most of it's history, was Henotheistic: Ahura Mazda may be the supreme deity, but not the only one. Indeed, the Yazata, which are often thought of as being similar to archangels, aren't really. They're gods that had their own cultic followings that god absorbed into that of Zoroastrianism and continued to have them for a very long time, their name even translates to "beings worthy of worship."

Not to mention the crazy issue of Mithra. Mithra is one of the Yazata, he's a god of war, bravery and contracts. He was also the singular god of a roman mystery cult that was born from soldiers bringing him back from Persia and grew to have extremely little resemblance to the original while keeping the name. Like, it had all sorts of crazy things going on, like underground temples and bull-slaying, not to mention being a rival to early Christianity.

Back to the whole being in age of mythology thing. As a civ I think they might do well for being a hybrid of Egypt and Greeks: they gain favor by building fire temples and sacrificing resources at them and instead of building normal units, they get them automatically from military structures, at the cost of them being both: crap and the amount of military buildings being capped per town center. These buildings I think could be upgraded to provide either more or better troops as separate upgrade paths. This is to represent the structure of the Achemendid empire: built on massive manpower, with skilled and well equipped troops being the rare core to masses of expendables. Mythologically they get three greater gods: Ahura Mazda, Mithra and finally Ahriman, being the "evil" one like Loki, Set, ect. The first one gets you persian mythological heroes, Mithra gives you cheaper but less good hero-soldiers and Ahriman gets you the monsters and villains of Persian mythology, like Zahak, the evil overlord of all the world with two snake heads that eat brains growing out of his shoulders.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

This game is only $7.50 on Steam until Monday.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I've had a bunch of technical problems, so this mission is going to be late a week. Should be really awesome though.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Here it is at last!

Fall of the Trident Mission 32: A Place in My Dreams

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

That was a really hectic mission. Your run contrasts really well with some of the earlier missions where you had everything planned out; especially in the middle there it seemed like you were running on a bit of improv rather than strict planning.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nice timing on the lightning storm.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The credits for AOM are pretty great, especially towards the end when it just shows the developers and voice actors loving around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVP9H34xVI

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

That was a really hectic mission. Your run contrasts really well with some of the earlier missions where you had everything planned out; especially in the middle there it seemed like you were running on a bit of improv rather than strict planning.

Yeah, the beginning was done with clockwork precision, but after that the enemy becomes unpredictable. Particularly since the meteors are so random in what they destroy.

achillesforever6 posted:

The credits for AOM are pretty great, especially towards the end when it just shows the developers and voice actors loving around.

Yeah, they're quite fun!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When I played this, the friendly towns get taken out after a while, is this timer based and were you just too fast or did you avoid the triggers for them to get blown up by not attacking the base directly north of you?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow. I usually lose both my allies towns before finishing this mission. There's a hidden timer which sacks them one after the other with earthquakes I believe. Nice work, as usual.

achillesforever6 posted:

Who wrote this, is he twelve? :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
VA outtakes are always fun.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

When I played this, the friendly towns get taken out after a while, is this timer based and were you just too fast or did you avoid the triggers for them to get blown up by not attacking the base directly north of you?

It's timer-based, I believe - the Norse get obliterated at the 20-minute mark, and the Egyptians get killed at the 25 minute mark, both by a God Power from Gargarensis.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Too bad no hideous slog of thousands of corpses slowly whittling away the mega-statue! No godhood, only thousands of men!

Of course, there's still the chance for that in the next campaign...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Chronische posted:

Too bad no hideous slog of thousands of corpses slowly whittling away the mega-statue! No godhood, only thousands of men!

Of course, there's still the chance for that in the next campaign...

That'd make a good bonus video, but I can't say I'd blame Melth for saying "naw gently caress that"

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's timer-based, I believe - the Norse get obliterated at the 20-minute mark, and the Egyptians get killed at the 25 minute mark, both by a God Power from Gargarensis.

Jokes on Gargarensis. On my playthrough, after he obliterated my allies I built on their settlements and finally had enough population to steamroll his armies.

I also killed a fortress as literally my first attack. The first wave on Hard if you do that has cavalry, hoplites, colossi, and helepoli all at the same time. Take Melth's advice and don't do that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
This was the first mission I beat on Titan.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Wasn't the plot twist that Poseidon himself was helping Gargarensis (IIRC because Poseidon is the father of Gargarensis )?

I thought it was kinda neat that ultimately the game didn't slot Hades as the designated villain, even if it did fake the player mechanically during the early chapters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SITB posted:

Wasn't the plot twist that Poseidon himself was helping Gargarensis (IIRC because Poseidon is the father of Gargarensis )?

I thought it was kinda neat that ultimately the game didn't slot Hades as the designated villain, even if it did fake the player mechanically during the early chapters.

It shows that they payed attention to Greek myths as Hades was always one of the nicer gods outside of that stuff with Persephone.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

SITB posted:

At least as I read it, it's more that Gargarensis was helping Poseidon with an already established evil plan that needed a mortal to spearhead it. And they're both in it for their own profit rather than than any actual father-son bond, with Gargarensis apparently thinking Poseidon 'owes him one'

Hunt11 posted:

It shows that they payed attention to Greek myths as Hades was always one of the nicer gods outside of that stuff with Persephone.

Yeah, I appreciated that. They show in most places that they really studied the original mythologies quite well, and when they're inaccurate it's a deliberate choice to tell a better story.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Superbly done, on the whole campaign.

When you sad the AI is scripted to do certain attacks, is that by looking through the scenario triggers, or trial-and-error?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

And even with Persephone he ended up being far nicer than most of the other Greek gods would be in that kind of situation.

Then again that isn't saying much...

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
During the intro cutscene to the last mission, I could have sworn that in the original windows version, Gargarensis' Hoplite brigades start as the cutscene Heavy ones, but turn into Champions as they attack. And I don't know who those unfortunate blue base Hoplites are, because if they're what's left of the Atlantian Army, that's depressing. :(

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Emperordaein posted:

During the intro cutscene to the last mission, I could have sworn that in the original windows version, Gargarensis' Hoplite brigades start as the cutscene Heavy ones, but turn into Champions as they attack. And I don't know who those unfortunate blue base Hoplites are, because if they're what's left of the Atlantian Army, that's depressing. :(
That could very well be due to computer speeds at the time, AoM scenario's are basically one long chain of triggers that go in sequence in a linear fashion. Setting up tech levels is independent but basically works by firing off the selected upgrades in sequence from starting the map. So you could have the cinematic going on while in the first few seconds the setup/tech levels are still going.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bravo! They shall tell tales of brave Meltheses in the future!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

At least as I read it, it's more that Gargarensis was helping Poseidon with an already established evil plan that needed a mortal to spearhead it. And they're both in it for their own profit rather than than any actual father-son bond, with Gargarensis apparently thinking Poseidon 'owes him one'
Cyclops are Poseidon's children so that was in play basically from the moment we first spotted Gargarensis. It is pretty good foreshadowing of who the bad god is, though - same with Poseidon's refusal to help Arkantos out of Tartarus and the name of the campaign.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Cyclops are Poseidon's children so that was in play basically from the moment we first spotted Gargarensis. It is pretty good foreshadowing of who the bad god is, though - same with Poseidon's refusal to help Arkantos out of Tartarus and the name of the campaign.

Which begs the question, what do you have to gently caress in order for your kids to come out giant, stupid, and one-eyed? Is Poseidon secretly a Habsburg or something?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Which begs the question, what do you have to gently caress in order for your kids to come out giant, stupid, and one-eyed? Is Poseidon secretly a Habsburg or something?
Gargarensis quotes poetry from the future, it's a bit of a stretch to call him stupid.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Gargarensis profile in the campaign is:

"Gargarensis is a cyclops and a distant descendant of Poseidon. His great-grandmother, Amymone, was seduced by Poseidon for which Gargarensis has never forgiven him. Rather than try to exact revenge against the sea god, the cyclops figures Poseidon owes him. He wants nothing more than to be a god himself and will stop at nothing to achieve this."

So I always thought that he parlayed Poseidon's shame to support his plan to achieve godhood.

(And also the fact that Poseidon is willing to knock Zeus of a peg because of him being petty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Gargarensis quotes poetry from the future, it's a bit of a stretch to call him stupid.

Yeah, but the other cyclops are dumb enough to be fooled by Odysseus shouting "I am nobody! Nobody is here!", and then when they get their eye gouged out they say "Nobody did this!" and go around trying to find Nobody and exact revenge.

• Locked thread