Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calax posted:

Or just play Rise of Legends.

But if I'm playing Rise of Legends, I'm playing as the lunatic steampunk Italians beating the stuffing out of mages, monsters, and aliens with giant clockwork robots and steam tanks. :black101:

Awful RTS, but brilliant visual design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Maybe have a unit veterancy system, and for the Aztecs any basic unit can be sacrificed for a small amount of favor but for the big favor bucks they need to sacrifice their veterans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MinistryofLard posted:

Kronos being the ultimate villain is actually weirdly common in Greek mythology inspired modern fiction: off the top of my head I can think of more instances of that than I can "Hades as an out and out villain."

At least the Percy Jackson series uses him because it's explicitly history repeating itself with the Titanomachy. The sequel series uses the far less commonly seen Gigantomachy, with Gaia as the primary villain.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, Hades is actually a pretty chill guy. He only ever messed with humans in the whole Persephone mess and even that was eventually solved more or less peacefully.
He just got bad PR on account of his job.

The bad PR is uniformly from more modern audiences, it should be noted. The Greeks didn't love him, but they respected him. Pluto was downright popular with the Romans as god of wealth - which comes from under the earth, after all.

My favorite modern depiction of Hades comes from The Dresden Files, where he's a polite, classy gentleman who loves his wife and three-headed doggy and is a collector of wealth and art with exquisite taste. He's just not good with people.

Melth posted:

Gaia was basically always a villain in Greek myths for whatever reason.

But not in modern depictions, where she's usually the lone good Titan (this game) or at least no worse than Zeus (God of War).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Qrr posted:

God of War had a pretty easy answer to the pantheons in general. Which gods/titans do you not murder? Uh, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Athena? It's been a while since I played so I could be misremembering. And I'm sure there are many that don't show up because there's only so much room in 3 games.

Oh to the contrary, Kratos does murder Hephaestus and Athena. :v: The only gods Kratos meets who he doesn't kill are Aphrodite and Artemis.

I liked God of War's depiction of Hera, though. Everything about Hera makes so much more sense if you assume she's drunk 24/7.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

If Zeus was your husband wouldn't you be?

Kratos doesn't even make a clean sweep of the twelve Olympians, surprisingly enough. He knocks off Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Persephone, Ares, Hera, Hermes, Athena (on accident), Hercules, Morpheus, Hepheastus, and Helios. Artemis and Aphrodite survive their meetings with him while Apollo, Demeter, Dionysus, and Hestia are completely MIA.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

You also have Arachne being turned into a spider because she was good at weaving and that really pissed Athena off.

Well, more specifically Arachne bragged about being a better weaver than Athena, the goddess of useful crafts.

Rule #1 About Being In Greek Mythology: Never, ever brag about being better than a god in any context. Ever.

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, that's just because the Greeks were horrible misogynists- hell, wasn't Medusa punished for the crime of being pretty enough to rape?

In most versions of the myths, yeah, and this was also the origin of Scylla and Charybdis most of the time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

...And then it turns out it was just the good of cooks and feasting.
(I have no idea what they were a god of)

The closest thing the Egyptian pantheon has to a traditional supreme evil being is Apophis, a primeval serpent that wants to eat the sun. Set's generally a dick but seldom that kind of overt evil. Isis could also be an incredible pain in the rear end if you got on her bad side in most myths.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Balderdash. The ancient Egyptians just understood the value of well-cooked ingredients.

It does make me wonder about where the fire=hell=bad connection comes from; I mean, most of our concepts of Hell come from Dante and Milton, but the only fiery bad guy ancient mythology I can name off the top of my head was Loki.

The Bible talks about hell as being a lake of fire and brimstone. I suspect that's where the modern association comes from. I've also personally wondered if in the early years of Christianity it was also a backlash against the common non-Christian practice of burning offerings to gods.

Set in Egyptian mythology is also associated with fire, I think, but he's more a personification of the hostile parts of nature in general.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Ah ha! I had been wondering for a long time where in the world people got the idea that Loki was a god of fire since I couldn't think of a myth where he was associated with it at all, and in that myth you're alluding to he gets his rear end kicked by fire and thus clearly is not in charge of it. That their names are just similar and someone got confused would explain it.

Also, weren't Loki's parents fire giants?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think Rise of Legends is the better RTS, but Age of Mythology has by far the better campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

Both are highly enjoyable, but could be better yeah. But if you want a good game that's really janky, look no farther than Perimeter. Balls hard and weird as gently caress, but it is surprisingly deep and fun.

Another good yet obscure RTS: Act of War: Direct Action and its expansion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Yeah, the Norse are definitely really interesting. They break so many RTS conventions and I love it.

My favorite bit is how they build. The Norse are, by design, really good at razing towns then quickly building their own town in its place.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The remastered game is now on steam sale for about eight bucks including the China expansion, so I knuckled down and bought it.

I blame this LP for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Half of Norse mythology could be summarized as "Loki had sex with a WHAT?!"

Rick Riordan had a good deal of fun with that. Two of the main characters are children of Loki. Loki was the father for one of them, and the mother for the other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lunethex posted:

In a battle between Zeus and Loki who would win then?

Zeus probably in terms of sheer number, Loki in creativity and variety - including turning into a woman or female animal and having sex with men and male animals. Then giving birth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AJ_Impy posted:

I was once in a Scion game (Tabletop RPG where the characters are children of the Gods (various pantheons) in the modern era) where one character was the child of Loki and Elvis.

Loki totally would.

The books also feature the two children of Loki rather tiredly addressing Fenrir and Jormungandr as their brothers. As is Sleipneir (Odin's horse).

The protagonist gets off lucky, he's a son of Freyr.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VanSandman posted:

I do like that they kept Poseidon as the shittiest of the Olympians. Which makes sense when you consider that the Greeks were a sea-faring people, and sailing at the time was treacherous as anything.

Funny thing, sea gods in almost every mythology are portrayed as capricious, temperamental assholes. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randarkman posted:

Are there any non-lovely Olympians? Athena maybe? I mean Zeus is the dude who transforms into a swan and rapes women. I guess Hades is also kind of less lovely, he's just kind of a dick and not as actively dysfunctional and terrible as most of the others.

Hephaestus and Hestia come to mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

Hades did get the permission of Persephone's father, Zeus, before he abducted her. He just decided to come out of a chasm in the earth to drag her to the Underworld instead of telling her that her father had agreed to let him marry her.

To be fair, that was kinda just how Greeks did things.

I love the Dresden Files' interpretation of that myth, though. According to Hades, Demeter was just an extremely overbearing and overprotective mother in law who couldn't bear to see her little girl grow up and leave home.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wonder if an earlier vision of the AoM campaign placed much greater emphasis on the three sides fighting each other. The game's artwork and advertising shows it a lot, and it's understandably part of the game's appeal, but in practice you spend most of the campaign fighting the same culture you're playing as. Different primary god, but most of the campaign is Greek vs Greek, Egyptian vs Egyptian, and Norse vs Norse.

This scenario could be leftover from an earlier iteration of the game's story where the three sides fought each other a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Yeah, that was my thinking about it too.

It certainly feels like something that might have been intended to be promotional material for an early, less sophisticated version of the game.

I was thinking it might have been originally developed as a level in a Norse campaign. Dial down what pops out of those gates and restrict it to the first couple of ages, and you've got a pretty decent second or third campaign level with a hugely powerful hero to keep the training wheels on.

Reginleif mentions it's the village she grew up in, so easy to imagine a Norse campaign opening with Reginleif catching Odin's attention in some huge battle and becoming a valkyrie, then returning to protect and lead her people when the Greek and Egyptian gods start poo poo.

• Locked thread