Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The game of my childhood! I was never good enough at this or aoe2 to do the higher difficulties/online stuff on account on picking civs based on how cool their wonder looks and only building fancy looking castles populated by the best units(5 villagers per resource is plenty, right? Gotta save that population for all my minotaurs :shepface:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Yeah, I suggest letting the computer voices do their thing first in general before talking, even if what they're saying is rarely important and they're captioned on the screen anyway, the effect of two people talking at the same time makes you a bit hard to understand. And headphones are a good idea to stop echo from happening.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When you get there, will you show off the spectacularly cheesy strategy for the last titans expansion mission that doesn't require user input for most of it's duration in a (sped up) side video?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

Not sure which one you mean; there are a LOT of ways to trivialize the final level hard enough that you can wreck Kronos's base if you want to.
Nothing that would require good micro or skill at the game, you can just wall off one of the trees with the forest god power and there's nothing red team can do against it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Don't forget the time that the Pharaoh randomly decided they were going to do monotheism based on an previously obscure sub-deity!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
That was age of empires 2.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Cossack and it's own fantasy spin off, Heroes of Annihilated Empires*?

HoAE is on steam and cossack recently got a HD update.

*meant to be part of triology, campaign ends on a cliffhanger, trigger warning half life 2 episode 2 flashbacks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Yeah of the modern AoE/M expansions, TotD is easily the one that has the least amount of effort put into it. Forgotten Empires also had garbage campaigns but at least those clearly had hundreds of man hours put into them even if nobody on the FE campaign team had any idea what balance, pacing and mission variety were.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
They really turned up the shade's lighting effects for the re-release.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Fun fact: You can draw out the krakens in mission 10 one by one and have then intercepted by heroes standing on the shore to keep your ships alive. If you preserve your fleet this way, a bunch of leviathans will eventually spawn behind you and eat them anyway.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think Melth just did the mission too fast for the Scarabs to show up, I don't recall seeing them this soon on any difficulty.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The way I cheesed this mission was by having Amanra hop the gate into the base and sloooowly chop up everything inside without activating their AI by sending somebody to the town center.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The way I would do it is advance the timeline a bit, (mostly) keeping the Greeks and Norse and having them be Romans and Germans, with some rebalancing where those cultures diverge from the originals like having romans have their counter infantry infantry(now known as the legionary) be their main unit and then look east for new stuff like Zoroastranism(Ahura Mazda/Mithra/Apam Napat) and Hinduism(Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva).

Or maybe go back in time and have the Mesopotamians with their city protector's deities as major gods.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Emperordaein posted:

As a fan of the original Rise of Nations who didn't play Legends, what exactly was wrong with the game?
Fights generally taking forever is the main one, poor(er) balance, unit counters generally being a worse idea than just building better units(death disks come to mind) and reduced strategic depth in the form of there being less buildings/units and quite a few of them never seeing play while the ones that do usually have one proper way to use them.

Also the campaign was unfinished and the entire third act has like 5 proper missions and 10 plain skirmishes.

Despite all that, the art and creative direction was still pretty rad though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It runs the risk of being easily unbalanced. If an Aztec player is expected to sacrifice a significant chunk of his economy to get heroes, an Aztec player who's left alone a bit longer due to teammates/lucky terrain/winning an early skirmish with human soldiers is now ahead in eco by a bunch, which will compound over time.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When I tried that mission on titan the first time I sent wave after wave of units at the sons of osiris and still lost so I eventually did the wall hop with Amanra.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there supposed to be a bunch more enemies you skipped by going fast? Obviously you skipped the guards outside the prison, but other than that, there's nothing but a few towers and three anubites between you and the final battle--what's supposed to be the factor that forces you to slow down and care about playing this as an RTS instead of a beat em up?
The entire second enemy base to the north that is supposed to be dealt with first before even going to the city that was skipped, which would normally result in the box being moved further east where there's more enemies.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I love that the great tree is an actual tree in terms of game logic that would give 20k wood once chopped down if not for the scenario removing it by trigger. This also results in the villagers working on it be considered woodcutters for AI purposes so after the great tree disappears, they spread around to cut other trees just as the map ends.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Chronische posted:

I'd assume the Collosus and the Automatons from Atlantis? Not sure, but there aren't that many other metallic things. Should surely make that sound for the Nemean Lion, even though it doesn't I'm pretty sure.
I'm mostly familiar with automatons from the campaign so in my mind the only sound they make is HURRR.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
News from gamescom: All age of empires games except mythology are getting a re-release exclusive to the windows store. Yes that includes aoe2hd, the latest expansion of which is less than a year old at this point.

There'll also be an age of empires 4, likewise exclusive to the windows store and microsoft have, in their infinite wisdom, farmed it's creation out to relic entertainment, most recently of dotadawn of war 3 infamy.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Have we passed any missions where sequence breaking would have resulted in a much faster time? I'd be curious to see how a true maximum gottagofast run of this game would look as a side thing. Also, have you considered submitting your fastest videos to speedrun.com? The only other runs I find are all on easy difficulty. (tip: record your practice runs, if they end up being faster, just submit that)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'd like it see it shown off the way Cannibal9K did for the Talos Principle, little compilations of easter eggs that didn't come up during gameplay at the end of each major zone(in this case the end of campaigns would be appropriate I think)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Nuramor posted:

You never even showed the giant...Giant army. Next time there's a big red blob on the minimap and you have the time, please give us some indication of what the gotcha moment consists of.
10 hill giants from the east and west, 4 hill giants and 10 frost giants from the south. Pretty survivable as long as you defend outside the area where they'll drop the earthquake.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Glazius posted:

Is it ever a concern or an advantage in this game to chop down enough forest that you open a path for yourself or your enemy?
The game veeeeery rarely hides relics or other easter eggs in forests(that's more a warcraft 3 thing). In AoE2 multiplayer it's often an issue since you commonly use trees as part of your anti-raiding fence but I'm not familiar enough with AoM multiplayer to know if that's also the case there.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

I'm glad you like it!

Why thank you! Generally speaking I don't need to do more than one or two takes to get an elegant victory, but I do a HUGE number of takes trying to get my lines just right. For this mission I had my strategy down perfectly before I even posted the previous video, but I spent weeks doing 114 different takes until I had one where I thought I delivered all my commentary well enough.
Have you considered doing post commentary?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

I used to like it a lot too. Replaying it again now I find some downsides, but it's still pretty great.

Speaking of; does anybody have any topics about mechanics or story or mythology or anything else they want me to hit in the next episode?
Since it's a defence style mission, could you talk about the somewhat obscure mechanic of damage multiplying across wall sections?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Melth posted:

Didn’t I do that in mission 7 or so? Where I demonstrated with hydras?

You mention that damaging walls damages nearby walls but not that walls under attack will synchronise their hp to that of their lowest neighbour, leading to the situation that damage from a siege unit attacking in one place can be spread across it's entire length by other units attacking elsewhere.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If you wanted to, you could save a little bit of time demolishing the red/purple base by having your ballistae shoot over the rocks and take out half the front gates, one of the rear gates and one tower.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is the planned order for the other campaigns? Golden Gift next? Or Titans first so GG doesn't come so soon after the base game Norse campaign?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When I played this, the friendly towns get taken out after a while, is this timer based and were you just too fast or did you avoid the triggers for them to get blown up by not attacking the base directly north of you?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Which begs the question, what do you have to gently caress in order for your kids to come out giant, stupid, and one-eyed? Is Poseidon secretly a Habsburg or something?
Gargarensis quotes poetry from the future, it's a bit of a stretch to call him stupid.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Wouldn't it be faster to skip the first wolf by landing behind either the red or yellow army or would that be too many hits to take for your kraken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm not getting any noticeable fps drops on either the next campaign map or the map that I think has the most objects on it/most triggers(titans map 11 with it's many many decorative objects and location triggers), try doing a clean reinstall of the game)

• Locked thread