Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm trying to improve my leet container skills by learning about etcd but nobody seems to know just what it might be used for

all the tutorials i can find say it maintains a distributed key/value store but how does that come up in a practical system? how do values get initialized/changed from outside the cluster? i dond't give a gently caress what consensus algorithm it uses, why even mention that?

help me yospos, what have you used etcd for irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
comedy answer: it's good for writing obscure tutorials and blog posts

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

suck it off

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

put your dick in it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
idk op, it's a logging thing I guess

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I think the keys/values are supposed to be used to manage configs inside the container (e.g., inside the /etc folder).

but I've never used it because I've never used a container in production.

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

service discovery and config mostly. probably anything else you might use zookeeper for.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

JimboMaloi posted:

service discovery and config mostly. probably anything else you might use zookeeper for.
what might i use zookeeper for

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
gee whiz this is as bad as facebook's anti-sales-pitch. "it keeps you connected" yeah yeah but what can I DO with it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah like 30 seconds of looking at it makes it sound like yet another "distributed KV, but for config poo poo so its super lightweight whatever the gently caress that's really supposed to mean!"

basically in some cluster environments you might want a service that provides configuration and service endpoint information for members of the cluster to look up so they can do whatever job they are supposed to do (like Apache HBase likes to keep information about where Region Servers are and stuff in Zookeeper)

of course to avoid having a single point of failure, this service itself must now be a distributed system, but is also very important for it to be fault tolerant so you spend all the time and resources on that can of worms as well, etc etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so, for an example

a yosbbs prototype was on a docker/coreos cluster

i had four little bbses running side by side. load balancers aimed inbound connections at them.

All of them needed to hit a specific memcache docker, which could move around

so i set up the memcached to announce its ip in an etcd store, and then the bbs was modded to just pull that value from that key whenever it needed the memcache

it was pretty cool tbh

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
basically if you want some dynamic information that can be read/written by members of your cluster, stuff like zookeeper/etcd are useful, but its not especially necessary for static config stuff

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

did you suck it off?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

btu what if the internet goes out?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm in the health industry, and we use windows and citrix with some legacy ibm mainframe stuff. what would etcd bring to this?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Annual Gift Panda posted:

I'm in the health industry, and we use windows and citrix with some legacy ibm mainframe stuff. what would etcd bring to this?

etsy DEEZ NUTS

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Annual Gift Panda posted:

more things to janitor

basically whenever you bring clusters into things it means more janitoring

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how does this differ from redis

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

so, for an example

i had four little bbses running side by side. load balancers aimed inbound connections at them.

so i set up the memcached to announce its ip in an etcd store, and then the bbs was modded to just pull that value from that key whenever it needed the memcache

it was pretty cool tbh

so its like a second memcached that tells the servers where the first memcached is

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have the suspicion that computer men just invent these new systems and keep stacking them up just out of boredom

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

so its like a second memcached that tells the servers where the first memcached is

sort of, but the replication/consistency's different

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

as far as I remember redis fault tolerance isn't the greatest

you also wouldn't necessarily store the kind of information in one of these systems that you would store in redis (and they don't really offer the data typing that redis does), in fact a great way to break zookeeper is to try to store something over this data limit (like 1MB)

there's a certain amount of physical architecture to consider with systems like zookeeper/etcd as well

Bloody posted:

i have the suspicion that computer men just invent these new systems and keep stacking them up just out of boredom

yeah this in ways

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

so, for an example

it was pretty cool tbh
ohhh so you can have multiple service clusters linked into the same etcd cluster. i was stuck on the idea that each service cluster is also a distinct etcd cluster

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
If Consul fixed the issues with its Raft protocol stuff just sometimes totally making GBS threads itself it would be pretty dec for managing situations where you got a lot of instances of various services spinning up and down all the time. Like if you were actually using AWS at scale the way it's envisioned to be used. However, if you're like 99 percent of people that never operate near the scale where that architecture is necessary then just use Puppet and make your life way easier.... unless you started using Puppet before 3.x in which case you're doomed sorry :(

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

oh no blimp issue posted:

put your dick in it

sounds like a real clusterfuck haha lol

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

it's alright for locking and leadership. i use it so that only a single emr job can write to a data warehouse at once because multiple gigabyte data loads happening concurrently tank performance

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
https://curator.apache.org/curator-recipes/

pretend you want to do anything on this side except you hate java so much you'd rather use a less-featured half-baked buggy randomly deadlocking babbys first kv store because it's written in go
(tbh its probably fine now but boy did goraft suck when i looked at it 2 years ago)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

redis clustering is loving garbage

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unless you want to buy redis labs thing

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

what might i use zookeeper for

jfc lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
we don't have anything deployed in containers yet, it's in the cards though

the systems we're looking to containerize are all configured with manually edited yammel files because :effort:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

oh no blimp issue posted:

put your dick in it

Extremely this.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i wrote up a whole plan recently to use AWS devops services to manage updates of our service clusters so that we don't have to bake images by hand and sent it off to the relevant party. the answer came back "beep boop vendor lock in is inevitable, docker is always the answer"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's fine, AWS hosts docker all day long. (I know, i know.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

has anyone said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING yet

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it provides key-value pairs for configuration parameters, like you might store in /etc, but as a daemon. what's to understand

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it provides key-value pairs for configuration parameters, like you might store in /etc, but as a daemon. what's to understand
why you post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you don't understand a basic description like "etcd is a distributed key value store that provides a reliable way to store data across a cluster of machines" then i don't know how anyone in this forum or on this earth is going to help you learn your job

• Locked thread