Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
maybe spend more than 5 minutes thinking about something besides c++? hth???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
freenet is a distributed k/v store, i hear a lot of people put their dicks in it but i dont think anyone uses it for server configuration

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you've made decent-ish posts in other threads, how are you so retarded that you can't understand a simple key-value store, and post this thread without knowing what zookeeper is

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
people use etcd when they've moved all their poo poo to dockers and ec2 instances and need some way to figure out which machine is the current redis instance because they can't just put their simple app on the same machine as the db it uses because then they don't get to play with cool toys like etcd and kubernetes and docker

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Captain Foo posted:

has anyone said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING yet

I hope not 🤞

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just do whatever, who cares

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

people use etcd when they've moved all their poo poo to dockers and ec2 instances and need some way to figure out which machine is the current redis instance because they can't just put their simple app on the same machine as the db it uses because then they don't get to play with cool toys like etcd and kubernetes and docker

tbh it doesn't matter what the 'current' redis instance is 'cause it's sure as hell not going to have the data you want

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

suffix posted:

tbh it doesn't matter what the 'current' redis instance is 'cause it's sure as hell not going to have the data you want

well yeah because redis has insane critical flaws as a distributed database but that doesn't stop anyone from using it like a persistent store

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you can't completely blow away your redis cluster and have the software continue to function as-normal-but-a-bit-slower, you are using redis incorrectly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i've seen plenty of damage done by devs who can rattle off an answer to "what is xyzzy" in an interview but don't know when & why to use it

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you can't completely blow away your redis cluster and have the software continue to function as-normal-but-a-bit-slower, you are using redis incorrectly

But can you explain to the devs that their wannabe database is only good as a volatile cache and that they need to use a relational database a source of truth for data without everyone thinking you're a condescending rear end in a top hat that no one likes.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

But can you explain to the devs that their wannabe database is only good as a volatile cache and that they need to use a relational database a source of truth for data without everyone thinking you're a condescending rear end in a top hat that no one likes.

i'm the postgres dba, so yes, i hope so :v:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

JewKiller 3000 posted:

by far the most popular use of redis is as a persistent job queue. programmers are the worst

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

the talent deficit posted:

by far the most popular use of redis is as a persistent job queue. programmers are the worst
see?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

hey I switched to rabbitmq recently, am I less worse now?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this.. but "how do I get the ip address to my redis box"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
isn't that literally couchdb or something similar?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

isn't that literally couchdb or something similar?

that's riak (back in the pre-1.0 days before secondary indexes and pre-2.0 days with yokozuna)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
can an etcd cluster be deployed across multiple zones? iirc that's why kubernetes' control plane is still single zoned.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

i'm trying to improve my leet container skills by learning about etcd but nobody seems to know just what it might be used for

all the tutorials i can find say it maintains a distributed key/value store but how does that come up in a practical system? how do values get initialized/changed from outside the cluster? i dond't give a gently caress what consensus algorithm it uses, why even mention that?

help me yospos, what have you used etcd for irl

serious response:

like others have said, etcd is a distributed key-value store. but so are a lot of things; s3 is a distributed key-value store and its semantics are quite a bit different from etcd.

one of the benefits of etcd (and why they talk about their consensus algorithm) is that it guarantees that your reads and your writes occur in a particular order regardless of which replica you're talking to. this means (as compared to s3) that while what a read from replicas might return a stale state (because networks and time happen), you will never see older states than whatever you've seen currently.

additionally, etcd provides multi-key transactions that would allow you to update multiple service(s) (or whatever) in lock-step and with guarantees (ex. this value was n before i set it to n+1). this is cool and good when you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FamDav posted:

can an etcd cluster be deployed across multiple zones? iirc that's why kubernetes' control plane is still single zoned.

it can be but you have to gently caress with heartbeating iirc

i know k8s has had some level of multi-az support since.... may? 1.2ish? full ubernetes stuff is coming later (maybe 1.6, i'd need to check the roadmap)

• Locked thread