Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

what kinda sauce is that in photo #1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

What the heck is going on. People just bring you beef all the time??

What cut is that? Doesn't have very much marbling.

joke_explainer

Unbeknownst to Uxzuigal, his family has started a steakhouse, trucks delivering beef every day which he happily cooks to perfection as the secret orders pile in and the family shuffles the plates out into the seating area hidden in the living room Uxzuigal never sees as he's always in the kitchen.

joke_explainer

your house is so confusing to me... you have a high-powered MBM flat top grill (at least $1000 USD??), yet random stuff on the walls that suggests its not a commercial kitchen, yet next to the grill is a huge induction cooktop with gigantic stock pots you see in kitchens, yet the space is so tiny, and you're cooking enough food for like 40 people, if your kitchen is that small how could you possibly fit that many people in the house/apartment??

i'm loving the beef sequence here but I feel like this is some kind of mystery going on here

looks great though, you're truly a beefmaster

joke_explainer

LawfulWaffle posted:

I am going to a meat store for the first time soon and I'd like some pointers for the obvious pros in this thread. I have slowly been evolving my meat tastes from pre-packaged to the grocery store's deli counter, almost always in the service of lunch meats since my wife is a pescetarian and only eats meat from the water. There's an honest to goodness meat store not far from where I live and I'm working up the guts to go in there, but I don't want to be outed as a Vienna sausage in the presence of gristle giants. Do meat stores usually have deli meats? What about cheeses? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

I like buying the occasional steak and grilling it, but this is another area where I could benefit from pointers. What should I look for in my steak? What's a good cut? Any meat man jargon I should pepper my conversation with to better blend in? Normally I try and find a piece of steak meat that is large but also not expensive; how can I take my meat game to the next level? tia

Well, it depends on how exactly fancy the meat shop you are going to, but the most important thing is if it's good at all, they aren't going to harangue you or look down on you for asking questions. A good butcher is excited about his product, and is all about telling you what you're getting from him. There's a place near my house that has a butcher shop in it that looks like this:

And the staff couldn't be more helpful, answering any question from curing processes to what sort of preparations are good with what. At a good butcher chop they'll be like this whether you are just starting to understand more about consuming the flesh of other animals or if you're an old pro who knows everything about every cut.

If you want to get a steak, I'd suggest a porterhouse or ribeye. If they have dry aged porterhouse, have them cut and trim you a nice slab of that. Ribeyes are the most amazingly tender and marbled steak. Porterhouse is your strip loin + your tenderloin. Both are amazing. There's lots of other options than that though. You could get tri-tip and cook it quickly directly on hot coals. You could get beef brisket and slow-braise it in rioja to make an amazing, tender meat out tons of tough connective tissue. But yeah, just ask about everything you see. They cure their own bacon? Ask what they use to cure it. If they smoke it. As about their cows, see how they live, their diets and such. Obviously don't be a dick out of it and don't force them to not serve other customers in order to answer your questions fully, but they should be excited to volunteer this information and tell you everything about 'em.

The best tasting beef for me has a high degree of intramuscular marbling, like this:

joke_explainer

you can do that without a fancy box... just make a shelf in your fridge for it

this doesn't even refrigerate on its own, you have to put it in your fridge...

its a 250 dollar shelf to put some meat on, most fridges come with shelves...

its pretty easy to dry age beef tho, follow this guide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

never had a horse's meats... its illegal for sale for human consumption in the US for some reason. i've heard its pretty good though. the way they are separated out is similar to beef:

where it is sold its apparently like half the price of beef. i've heard it described as like leaner beef.

• Locked thread