Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aladdin is disappointingly overly clothed. What’s wrong with just the waistcoat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm glad "thanks I hate it" became a phrase because it really is the best response to all these live action remakes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The_Doctor posted:

Aladdin is disappointingly overly clothed. What’s wrong with just the waistcoat?

These photos are really putting into perspective how good and simple the animated character designs and costumes were. It's very easy to go overboard with the Arabian-styled outfits, but everyone's designs tend to be simple and flowing with minimal tasteful accessories.

But yeah, despite being a big name Will Smith definitely doesn't have the larger-than-life presence to do the Genie justice.

The Prince Ali outfit and guards I do like, though. Maybe because being ostentatious is the point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It looks fine I guess. I could waste hundreds of words on how it doesn't really make sense to redo a folk tale in live action while still attempting to maintain a connection to the Disney version. But we all know what this is. Whatever.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
THAT KIND OF MONKEY DOES NOT EVEN LIVE ON THAT CONTINENT

:argh:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope if this movie bombs their takeaway is not "oh guess we shouldn't have made a movie full of poc" instead of "oh I guess we shouldn't have remade a great movie but worse."

Alternatively if these movies do really well in 10-15 years we will definitely be getting a live action Frozen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Alternatively if these movies do really well in 10-15 years we will definitely be getting a live action Frozen.

They already did that on television.

In fact that they already did most of these on television.

Anyway, at least one of these will be a colossal flop and I'm not sure if it will be Aladdin or Dumbo. I think Lion King can do alright but I'm actually a bit less confident of it than I was, probably because I was letting my own nostalgia for the original Lion King influence me too much (I've shifted it down from "top movie of 2019" to "probably more than Star Wars but less than Avengers"). The other two are a bit of a toss-up, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dumbo might hold out on the basis of cute baby elephant.

Aladdin looks pretty bad, and I'm laughing how Jasmine's street rat disguise is still something a merchant's wife might wear, that's way too nice and striking.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Prince Ali outfit and guards I do like, though. Maybe because being ostentatious is the point.

gently caress me, looking at the photos on my phone I thought that was a first look at Jafar :eng99:

Still, that look is good and I like Jasmine's look, have questions about why a street rat has shoes and a bulky, long sleeved shirt, and am having a serious :allbuttons: reaction to Kazaam there. Maybe the music will be good? Though if we're getting a Will Smith rap out of this I'm on the fence, I think the only movie rap I ever liked from him was the first MIB

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aces High posted:

gently caress me, looking at the photos on my phone I thought that was a first look at Jafar :eng99:

Still, that look is good and I like Jasmine's look, have questions about why a street rat has shoes and a bulky, long sleeved shirt, and am having a serious :allbuttons: reaction to Kazaam there. Maybe the music will be good? Though if we're getting a Will Smith rap out of this I'm on the fence, I think the only movie rap I ever liked from him was the first MIB

This is Jafar. Make the right choice, Jasmine! :swoon:

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1075399594580815872

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

They already did that on television.

In fact that they already did most of these on television.

Once upon a time is (was?) more fun and imaginative than all the live actions remakes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

gmq posted:

Once upon a time is (was?) more fun and imaginative than all the live actions remakes.

Much like True Blood, it's very cheesy and goofy and the show embraces that. With the one possible exception of the Frozen arc which had this weird feeling of Disney wanting the show to take that whole thing as seriously as possible

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like that Once Upon A Time wasn't completely loyal to the Disney original, so they can make Peter Pan into an rear end in a top hat villain and Captain Hook into the protagonist's sexy love interest.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think it's best to stop calling them live action remakes and start calling them ugly remakes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
ugly remakes
uglemakes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Unnecessary remakes
Unremakes

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Why is Jafar hot, tho

Like, wasn't part of the appeal of that character how blatantly slimy and untrustworthy he looked? I don't really get that from the live action Jafar, I just get "Jafar's young and hot now".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shadow Hog posted:

Why is Jafar hot, tho

Like, wasn't part of the appeal of that character how blatantly slimy and untrustworthy he looked? I don't really get that from the live action Jafar, I just get "Jafar's young and hot now".

Maybe he'll try to seduce Aladdin.

It's a Guy Ritchie movie, it could happen.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neon Noodle posted:

THAT KIND OF MONKEY DOES NOT EVEN LIVE ON THAT CONTINENT

:argh:

Is it just me or does everyone always seem to hire the same realistic CGI monkey for these things.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pigbuster posted:

Is it just me or does everyone always seem to hire the same realistic CGI monkey for these things.

That CGI monkey has gotta be pulling in mad residuals from the pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

That CGI monkey has gotta be pulling in mad residuals from the pirates of the Caribbean movies.

I'm just glad he was able to get that curse lifted.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shadow Hog posted:

Why is Jafar hot, tho

It's a bold move, but I think people in 2018 are finally ready for a 'beautiful people can also be evil' message.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ewmakes. Ughmakes. Will Smith looks about to cry in that promo.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Mistakes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't tell beautiful people apart. I spent that Milla Jovovich movie about face blindness trying to figure out if and when they had switched out the dude who played her husband again. They were all handsome, brunette white dudes, how the gently caress should I know.

I hope Iago is Danny Devito.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

I can't tell beautiful people apart. I spent that Milla Jovovich movie about face blindness trying to figure out if and when they had switched out the dude who played her husband again. They were all handsome, brunette white dudes, how the gently caress should I know.

I hope Iago is Danny Devito.

And he's not voice acting a cartoon parrot, it's Danny Devito in a parrot costume that doesn't quite fit right.

That would be worth the ticket price alone.

This Jafar doesn't need magic to hypnotize the sultan, he just dazzles him with his beautiful abs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Shadow Hog posted:

Why is Jafar hot, tho

Jafar was extremely queer-coded, so it's not surprising they're getting rid of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Jafar was extremely queer-coded, so it's not surprising they're getting rid of that.

Are they?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He wanted to extremely bang Jasmine, a woman

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wow this short from Dreamworks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4gYNfJUj2k

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

The uh, rescue montage is amazing

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Macaluso posted:

Wow this short from Dreamworks

I realize that a goanna is a goanna, but that lizard gave me major Rescuers Down Under flashbacks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Her name in the movie is Joanna :allears:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pigbuster posted:

It's certainly plausible that budget-conscious producers would be inclined to re-use existing CGI assets instead of modeling up a whole new monkey.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A whole new monkey
dont you dare close your eyes

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Neon Noodle posted:

Kid me loved Joanna. :3: She was a girl but she didn't have big eyelashes and a slim figure, she was just a goofy lizard!

Even as a small child I hated the trend of female characters always having to be pretty. :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
JOANNA EAT THE EGGS

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Neon Noodle posted:

I remember that, because seeing the movie as a kid, I had no idea what a goanna was and didn't get the joke, but my Dad had spent some time in Australia and cracked up.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The MSJ posted:

They apparently will use CGI, they're just not done yet for these pictures.

Here are the rest of em.

I guess nobody in the live action department knows anything about visual design because I can't tell what the he'll anything is in these photos or who anyone is supposed to be.

Just because you can throw all sort of things on the screen doesn't mean that you should!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I kinda wish they made Aladin like a bollywood movie.