Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
How the hell did they mess up the Broadway version of Aladdin that bad when the groundwork with the show at their Park was already so good? I know they would need to add more padding since the other stage show was just shy of an hour but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I literally hate every Disney broadway adaptation.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Yep, they get an entire song which is just repeating their names and character quirks so you dont forget them because they dont appear again until act 2.
I see. So they didn't just borrow cut songs from the revised treatment of Aladdin that led to the film that actually hit theaters, they went so far back as to go for the original treatment for the film, which was incredibly different but far enough in development to have numerous songs demoed. That song was one of them.

That is a rather questionable decision, to be honest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Broadway version of Aladdin is so desparate for content that during Friend Like Me not only do they take a break to do an extended parody of Lets Make a Deal, Genie sings parts of other Disney musicals.

I wont lie, I wasnt expecting pocahontas of all things to be their choice of “deep cuts” for Genie.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

If you're gonna make a loving musical adaptation, you should use the run time to further develop your characters, why is this so hard

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
All I have to say is Eric Andre as this movie's Ed (they changed the character name) is loving insane, makes no sense for a Disney production, and virtually guarantees I'm in the theater opening night.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Klungar posted:

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Irons is the iconic voice from that movie, not JEJ.

Half of his singing is actually just Jim Cummings filling in for the notes he couldn't hit.

CRINDY posted:

All I have to say is Eric Andre as this movie's Ed (they changed the character name) is loving insane, makes no sense for a Disney production, and virtually guarantees I'm in the theater opening night.

Still should have been Genie in Aladdin imho

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
After hearing they cast Seth Rogen, I made this for the other three Undeclared fans on Twitter. Obviously it's getting zero traction, so you guys can have it.

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/926614163522314240

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

dirksteadfast posted:

How the hell did they mess up the Broadway version of Aladdin that bad when the groundwork with the show at their Park was already so good? I know they would need to add more padding since the other stage show was just shy of an hour but come on.

I was wondering this too. The DCA version was pretty good every time I saw it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember the little mermaid broadway show had the same issues with bloating out the play by using a lot of scrapped plot points that doesn't quite fit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I remember the little mermaid broadway show had the same issues with bloating out the play by using a lot of scrapped plot points that doesn't quite fit

sebastian has aids

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
and sings a touching rendition of "don't crab for me, argentina"

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I'm excited to hear Beyonce sing Shadowland

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will be entirely frank and non-ironic with you, I think that song is terrible.

Generally, the songs added to the musicals seem entirely unsingable. I can belt out Hakuna Matata like any other kid, and a semi-competent karaokeist can stumble through Can You Feel the Love Tonight, but Shadowland just doesn't fit in that Disney sing-along sensibility.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Pick posted:

I will be entirely frank and non-ironic with you, I think that song is terrible.

*scrolls up like 10 posts* I, for one, am stunned.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Funny news. People complained so much about the Frozen short that it made the national news in my country and theaters just started to remove it. :lol:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

sebastian has aids

The existence of the Little Mermaid broadway show is retroactively justified for giving the world Titus Andromedon and Kimmy Schmidt by extension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBXdgMIyUQ

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

All the Disney to stage adaptations suffer from it, Lion King just still works despite the extras bolted onto it because its real good and Beauty and the Beasts extra material is so forgettable I have a hard time getting worked up over it.

What Disney doesn't realize is I don't want a stage production of Moana, I want a stage production of Star Wars.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pick posted:

I literally hate every Disney broadway adaptation.

Lion King broadway musical rocked, fite me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

New OW animated short!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfk5HykiEk&hd=1

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Panfilo posted:

Lion King broadway musical rocked, fite me.

I don't like how Be Prepared stops in the middle just so a couple of Hyenas can dance - it breaks the flow of the song.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think the Broadway versions are necessarily better than the film versions of the same songs, but Shadowlands and He Lives In You (Reprise) are probably my favourite jams on the whole soundtrack. And Endless Night. Aaand I have a soft spot for One By One. Also I am slightly biased because I saw it with my family when I was young, it was the first time I saw a stage play that wasn't put on by a grade school.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I like many of the songs from Broadway The Little Mermaid. Fathoms Below, If Only, Positoovity... I couldn't tell you if they add up to a good musical, but they're fun to listen to.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I watched Watership Down with some friends last night, and wow, that was quite a movie. Really really enjoyed the opening segment depicting the rabbits' creation story in particular.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Watership Down rules

unrelated animated double feature idea:

The Plague Dogs x Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Desperado Bones posted:

Funny news. People complained so much about the Frozen short that it made the national news in my country and theaters just started to remove it. :lol:

What's wrong with it? I haven't really been keeping up with all the latest Frozen news.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's wrong with it? I haven't really been keeping up with all the latest Frozen news.

It's 21(?) minutes long and in front of the movie people actually came to see.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm rewatching watership down right now :3:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
a wrist-flicking gay rabbit read fatalist poetry and now another rabbit is being slowly strangled on-screen as blood pours from his mouth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, I wish I could find the Boss Baby abacus scene on Youtube because I thought it was really sinister, and the movie deliberately never refutes it, it's more about this painful compromise. Can anyone else find it? You know the one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I caught A Silent Voice (The Shape of Voice) today (it was only recently released in the US). I found it a remarkably well-depicted high school romance story, for all that entails. It certainly feels adapted from a longer work, but stands just fine on its own (I have no familiarity with the original). I would say it captures the depth of the characters, and doesn't turn them into caricatures which could easily have happened in a single movie. I also like that it doesn't try to pretend that women and girls can't be ruthlessly violent.

Looks-wise, it's pretty nice, if nothing spectacular. I think I really like the director's style, though - there's some good visual storytelling going on.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

the old ceremony posted:

a wrist-flicking gay rabbit read fatalist poetry and now another rabbit is being slowly strangled on-screen as blood pours from his mouth

There is so much blood in that movie holy cow
was it marketed to children when it originally came out?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

smug n stuff posted:

There is so much blood in that movie holy cow
was it marketed to children when it originally came out?

Oh yeah, and boy were some parents upset.

I'd still show it to a kid, though. I know it's not quite the same, but I remember being pretty traumatized by the pound and rat scenes in Lady and the Tramp pretty profoundly. Oh, and Sleeping Beauty had me basically sleeping air-tight under my covers from Maleficent until I was at least thirteen.

What I'm saying is that sometimes you just need to scare the bejeezus out of kids. With cartoons.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
bored and horny, the protagonists are setting off to look for women

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the characterisation of this seabird is pretty spot-on

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the old ceremony posted:

the characterisation of this seabird is pretty spot-on

The most authentic seabird is the one in Sampson & Sally Song of the Whales.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Brief mention of Watership Down being spooky as all get-out reminds me that the first theatrically distributed animated feature from the U.K. was loving Animal Farm of all things. The Brits just have a longer tradition of not really caring about scaring the blazes out of children.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
jesus i'd forgotten about the bloody froth dripping from the rabbits' mouths when they fight, it was one of the little realistic touches that got me as a kid (i loved this movie so much, more than just about any other except for yellow submarine)

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i guess only time will tell what level of violence is best in a kids' cartoon, but i definitely got into ecology and animals because of watership down (and farthing wood) and the sheer brutality of it was part of the appeal so i guess it worked out for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

I'd still show it to a kid, though. I know it's not quite the same, but I remember being pretty traumatized by the pound and rat scenes in Lady and the Tramp pretty profoundly. Oh, and Sleeping Beauty had me basically sleeping air-tight under my covers from Maleficent until I was at least thirteen.

For me it was the flashback to the lab in The Secret of Nimh. Even today I find that scene pretty intense to sit through for reasons I can't quite articulate.