Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'm not going to lie, for some reason I thought that movie had come out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Next month, I believe. Then we can all laugh at it and move on with our lives. Or it can surprise us and turn out to be way better than it's looking like it's shaping up to be. I have my doubts that'll be the case (not that I expect a trainwreck, I just sort of expect mediocrity), but we'll see.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Hog posted:

Next month, I believe. Then we can all laugh at it and move on with our lives. Or it can surprise us and turn out to be way better than it's looking like it's shaping up to be. I have my doubts that'll be the case (not that I expect a trainwreck, I just sort of expect mediocrity), but we'll see.

Thought I was in CSPAM for a minute.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I sincerely hope that WIR2 follows the pattern of the previous movie and only has 10-20 minutes of cameos/in-jokes, and the rest is original content. The first movie’s trailers were also fairly front loaded with the cameos, and kept the meat of the movie under wraps, so I’m hopeful.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I always sort of figured talking politics on SA was a great way to quickly get probated, so I kinda steered away from that subforum.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I always sort of figured talking politics on SA was a great way to quickly get probated, so I kinda steered away from that subforum.

Same, which is why it's kind of mindblowing to discover that CSPAM currently has more active posters at this very moment than GBS does.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's pretty amazing that artists nowadays can create stuff like this without the backing of a major studio though things like Artella. Easy to forget that before you'd need the resources from a Pixar or Dreamworks to even render stuff at this quality.

https://twitter.com/JamaalBradley/status/1055105735548317697

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So this popped up over in a review in the Horror Challenge thread, and I'm gonna respond to it here, where it's relevant, so I don't derail that thread.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Have you ever seen The Good Dinosaur? I hate that movie. I can't engage with it at even a basic level because the setup is too lazy for me to be willing to follow along. For the blissfully uninitiated it's the story of an Earth where dinosaurs don't go extinct and in time develop enough intelligence to become capable of agriculture and civilization. They essentially follow the track of development that humans eventually would otherwise obtain. As a consequence human beings still exist but remain arrested in their development as wild animals. They're basically raccoons stealing from the dinosaurs' grain silos.

The dino protagonist of the movie is tasked by his father with killing a young human who has repeatedly stolen their food and in turn was caught in a vermin trap. Our lead blanches and lets the human go. After being told off by his father and sent into the wilds to hunt and kill the thieving human a storm causes flood waters to rise. As a consequence the father, in an effort to come to the aid of his child, drowns in the river. This leads to a journey of self-discovery on the part of the young dino as he travels the land and learns to appreciate the human he failed to exterminate, who has become his plucky animal sidekick.

That's right; the plot revolves around you, the viewer, being okay with the idea of watching a movie where a kid gets his dad killed because the lad refused to kill a raccoon that was stealing from the family's limited food stores. The raccoon is shaped like a young human but this is only to provoke sympathy in the audience; the entire premise of the film is that dinosaurs are the dominant species. They have replaced humans in the timeline of this world. The entire film hinges on you, the viewer, looking at the human child on the screen and ignoring all of the world building the movie has just taken the time to set in front of you detailing how the dinosaurs in the movie are the human analogues. The dinosaurs aren't dinosaurs; they're people! Come watch the people dinosaurs build a farm and have adventures!

The humans of the film aren't humans. They're raccoons. Don't let your dad die because you pitied a raccoon.

This seems like... kind of a bonkers reading of The Good Dinosaur? Like, I remember one of the central messages of the movie being that parents need to appreciate their kids for who they are and not try to jam square pegs into round holes; the son didn't "let his dad die because he pitied a raccoon," the dad trying to force him to go kill the raccoon is actively bonkers and the dad gets punished by the cosmos for it, essentially.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I've ever seen Good Dinosaur.

The one Pixar movie nobody remembers.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's a movie that tries its hardest to tell you something. But it's never really clear what that is. The esthetics are also bizarre, and I don't mean in a positive way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The movie tries to be way too many movies at once and it stumbles on all of them. Off the top of my head from what I remember:

It wants to be an alternate reality movie where dinosaurs didn't go extinct
It wants to be a road movie
It wants to be a wild west movie
It wants to be an apocalypse movie
It wants to be a buddy comedy

I feel like there's some others I'm missing. I think they should've just done a straight up dinosaur Wild West because that was by far the most interesting part of the movie, cause those t-rexes were cool

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I’ve seen it.

I can tell you absolutely nothing about it. I know that checkbox got ticked at some point, but that’s it.

I don’t think I fell asleep. I wasn’t loving around while it played on the background.

It’s just this void.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
if anyone is looking for an amazing reviewer of pixar films, check out the real jims youtube channel. He likes to go through each movie thoroughly and the way he is able to get all the screenshots he shows to tie into what he is saying is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zxbsAKBHw

Edit: also check out his simpsons reviews as well because he goes through like every bit of a character's/episode's history

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 25, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I swear that movie is an object permanence experiment. I completely forget it exists until I see the title.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I saw Good Dinosaur in the theaters and I remember the beautiful environments. The credits were full of lists of artists who just worked on the clouds, and they got terrain data from national parks in order to help construct the expansive CG environments.

Other than that I remember the had one drugs sequence which was pretty funny.
That interpretation is pretty interesting. I don't really disagree with the father though, if you're living a frontier lifestyle and there's another species stealing some of your food you would try to kill it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm, like, 90% sure that The Good Dinosaur is basically a tech demo that somehow ballooned into a feature length movie before anyone could stop it. It's showing off fantastic new software for modelling terrain and clouds and water and stuff...but there are also these goofy-looking characters wandering distractingly through the shots, kind of ruining the effectiveness of the actual tech demo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is The Good Dinosaur at least mildly charming? It's the only recent Pixar film I haven't seen. As long as it's not actively evil or terrible I think I could stomach it. I sat through Cars, I can sit through another mediocre Pixar flick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nope

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
This is freaking me out. I know I've seen The Good Dinosaur. I have it on my Plex right now. I've watched it. But reading that plot synopsis posted earlier? Don't loving remember any of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Vegetable posted:

Is The Good Dinosaur at least mildly charming? It's the only recent Pixar film I haven't seen. As long as it's not actively evil or terrible I think I could stomach it. I sat through Cars, I can sit through another mediocre Pixar flick.

It's extremely aimless and the main characters are really bland. There is a 5-10 minute sequence where they spend time with a family of T-Rexes that I enjoyed, so there's that.

I would recommend it over Cars 2, which I didn't actually finish.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Take all the time you would spend wasting on The Good Dinosaur or Cars 2, and spend it watching Hilda. It's infinitely more charming and wholesome, with a good moral message.

Hell, if you just spend those 4+ hours and watch the Hilda OP on repeat it would be a better use of time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vegetable posted:

no

the backgrounds are impressive on a technical level but merely aspiring for photorealism. the character designs are bland blobs that clash horribly with those backgrounds. nothing really fits together. the t rex cattle wranglers are okay but not worth watching the rest of the movie for

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I didn't have the vehement hatred for The Good Dinosaur that most in this thread did, but I did recall its ending leaving me feeling rather empty. I suppose the haunting music on the Blu-Ray menu screen (lifted from the firefly scene) wasn't helping matters there.

It certainly had some moments I remembered (in spoiler tags JIC): the aforementioned firefly scene with Arlo and his Dad, the extremely abrupt cut during the flood that left me in confused disbelief about it killing Arlo's Dad for a few seconds, the scene where Arlo and the kid bond over pushing twigs representing their dead familiy members, the "relevation" [sic] guy, the T-Rex explaining how bravery is pushing past your fright and not the absence of it, everything about the Ghost Dad scene (though I do like the "you are me and more" line, even if his Dad didn't do a good job proving it before becoming Ghost Dad, at which point he was merely pointing out that Arlo had figured everything out himself) and the scene where Arlo sends the kid off with some random nobodies immediately before reaching home and then sudden cut to credits, no denouement (I guess the "sends the kid off" scene was supposed to be said denouement, but it felt like it needed a bit more Arlo catching up with his family that thought he was dead this whole time). Arlo's character flaw was kind of ridiculous before his character development, moreso than usual for film protagonists. I wouldn't say it was a good movie but I didn't hate that I watched it. I don't think I'd watch it regularly though. (I also didn't hate Cars 2 so please take my response as this fact warrants. That's easily the weakest Pixar film though.)

Plus for a world where dinosaurs didn't die off, it sure is devoid of dinosaurs, y'know what? Or, really, anything. Macaluso's asserts that the film wants to be an apocalypse movie, but it's more like a post-apocalypse one 'cause there's drat near nobody alive in the thing outside of few assigned characters Arlo explicitly bumps into. Hell, the T-Rexes promise to take Arlo to the watering hole to ask the local community at large, which we conveniently never see because Arlo finds his twin mountain waymark on the horizon before reaching it, says his goodbyes and splits off from them. At least Dinosaur had a meteor strike at the start to justify the photorealistic backgrounds (literally filmed, unlike TGD's CG-rendered) being barren; The Good Dinosaur doesn't even have that excuse. Those storms were bad, but not killed-off-all-of-civilization-around-you bad.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I just thought Arlo's family was way out in the wilderness in the dinosaur equivalent of the USA circa 1850.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

God I forgot about Arlo's thing where he's just afraid of everything. That got old very very quickly. Like I get what they were trying to do but at some point you're like "okay I know you're a scared kid but come on".

Shadow Hog posted:

Plus for a world where dinosaurs didn't die off, it sure is devoid of dinosaurs, y'know what? Or, really, anything. Macaluso's asserts that the film wants to be an apocalypse movie, but it's more like a post-apocalypse one 'cause there's drat near nobody alive in the thing outside of few assigned characters Arlo explicitly bumps into.

I didn't mean the whole movie wants to be an apocalypse movie, I just meant that it was one of the many parts of the movie that wanted to be a thing on top of all the other things. The part with the crazy triceratops with all the animals felt like every crazy person in a post-apocalypse movie that is on his own and somehow surviving all the zombies or whatever.

I will say I actually quite liked a lot of the designs of the dinosaurs, and Arlo himself, but they absolutely clashed with the backgrounds which also looked really good but looked like they were from a totally different movie than the dinosaurs.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Pixar should take what they learned from The Good Dinosaur and make a Dinotopia movie.

James Gurney's illustrations are begging to be done justice by a big budget CG movie. The live action miniseries could not capture his mastery of color and light.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

My problem with the Good Dinosaur is theres no justifiable reason to use Dinosaurs.

There's not point in the movie where a dinosaur does something only a dinosaur can do (besides the flying of the pterodactyl) to a point this movie could of been about a Human and his new buddy pet a raccoon and still work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

My problem with the Good Dinosaur is theres no justifiable reason to use Dinosaurs.

There's not point in the movie where a dinosaur does something only a dinosaur can do (besides the flying of the pterodactyl) to a point this movie could of been about a Human and his new buddy pet a raccoon and still work.

It's just weird they kept selling the premise of the movie as "what if the dinosaurs never went extinct?" cause like... I feel like you could literally just have had the movie start with the farm stuff and not show the comet missing earth, and no one would've bat an eye. I don't think the general movie public would really question why a caveman is around at the same time as dinosaurs.

There's nothing in the movie that explores Dinosaurs never going extinct.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

It's just weird they kept selling the premise of the movie as "what if the dinosaurs never went extinct?" cause like... I feel like you could literally just have had the movie start with the farm stuff and not show the comet missing earth, and no one would've bat an eye.

I think it’s because without that prologue, it can be seen as promoting some wrong-headed Young Earth nonsense. Just showing humans and dinosaurs co-existing with no explanation is, stupidly enough, actually a political statement.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
“What if dinosaurs didn’t go extinct? And they grew intelligent and built whole cities? Can you imagine a city filled with dinosaurs?”

“We just finished developing this terrain mapping software though.”

“Oh...I guess dinosaurs in the mountains. Like a bunch of rural dinosaurs?”

“Yeah, this software takes a lot of processing power. You get 5 dinos on screen at a time.”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

*Puts on counterfeit SMG suit*

The Good Dinosaur is just a lovely remake of Fantastic Planet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Being totally honest, the reasoning for the dinosaurs in TGD seemed pretty simple: bright cartoony dinosaurs contrast nicely with ultra-detailed photorealistic landscapes, and a rancher T-Rex with a cowboy hat telling Old West stories is a hilarious mental image.

I don't necessarily think it worked, even if I like the movie well enough on the whole, but on paper the idea's sound.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Being totally honest, the reasoning for the dinosaurs in TGD seemed pretty simple: bright cartoony dinosaurs contrast nicely with ultra-detailed photorealistic landscapes, and a rancher T-Rex with a cowboy hat telling Old West stories is a hilarious mental image.

I don't necessarily think it worked, even if I like the movie well enough on the whole, but on paper the idea's sound.

Again they really should've just gone for a whole wild west with dinosaurs thing cause it was the best part of the movie

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My biggest problem with The Good Dinosaur was that every scene felt like I'd seen it done before, and done better, in either The Lion King or The Land Before Time. It had nothing new to say and it felt like it was just written by someone who had a list of notes to hit and were just ticking them off in the script.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dreamworks is adapting a board game that looks suspiciously like Redwall into a movie:

https://www.slashfilm.com/mice-and-mystics-movie-dreamworks-animation/

My biggest question comes from this: "They will face countless adversaries such as rats, cockroaches, and spiders, and of course the greatest of all horrors: the castle’s housecat, Brodie."

If a castle is built to scale for the mice, how does a housecat even move around?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 26, 2018

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ccs posted:

Dreamworks is adapting a board game that looks suspiciously like Redwall into a movie:

https://www.slashfilm.com/mice-and-mystics-movie-dreamworks-animation/

My biggest question comes from this: "They will face countless adversaries such as rats, cockroaches, and spiders, and of course the greatest of all horrors: the castle’s housecat, Brodie."

If a castle is built to scale for the mice, how does a housecat even move around?

It wasn't built for mice, the party are human knights who were transformed into mice. Everyone else is still normal-sized.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly the comparison made me think more of Mouse Guard for whatever reason, until the whole "humans transmogrified into mice" bit.

...not that Redwall has that bit either, but still...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

It wasn't built for mice, the party are human knights who were transformed into mice. Everyone else is still normal-sized.

Oh I have bad reading comprehension.

Medieval mice definitely is its own subgenre by now but Redwall started it I think.

Unrelated but apparently some traditional animators are credited on the new Aladdin movie, including a few people from the anime industry. I guess we’ll be seeing some 2d along with all the vfx.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 27, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Queen Combat posted:

Take all the time you would spend wasting on The Good Dinosaur or Cars 2, and spend it watching Hilda. It's infinitely more charming and wholesome, with a good moral message.

Hell, if you just spend those 4+ hours and watch the Hilda OP on repeat it would be a better use of time.

Hilda is amazing.

I think the wood man is my favorite character other than hilda herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Redwall started off with the idea that it was set on the fringes of the real world; the first book has the villain (who is described as a Portuguese rat) riding into town in a human wagon pulled by a full-size horse, then later on the main character arrives at a human farmhouse where he befriends the farmcat. It was abandoned straight away and instead it was just a medieval rodent world from the second book onwards.