Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

got any sevens posted:

Was Kubo the only good animated movie this year? Was Kaguya this year? And only Batman looks good next year. Bleh

Well, I mean, I still haven't seen Big Fish and Begonia. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It had me thinking "'Sing For the Moment' is really not a appropriate song for this trailer. Especially when it uses the line "They say music can alter moods and talk to you" but cuts the next line which is 'Well can it load a gun up for you and cock it too?'"

Let's talk about Shut Up and Drive being used for daughter / surrogate father figure bonding in Wreck-It Ralph. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Few films this year can attest to portraying an authentic sexual tension between a black beetle and a snow monkey.

"And racism is also a problem, so be like Kung Fu Panda -- be white, black, asian -- and cut the balls!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's the chronology:

Bambi -> Peace on Earth -> The Secret of NIMH -> Robin Hood -> Zootopia -> Treasure Planet

how does Lion King fit into this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

The Lion King represents the Prehistory of Robin Hood. A time before the Bronze Age that symbolizes the mythological state of the world.

So what you're saying is the apocalyptic scenario in Zootopia represents what happens when Lion King goes too far? :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kassad posted:

I didn't know David Cameron was a goon.

:drat:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Was the third Aladdin movie straight to DVD? I remember rather enjoying that as a child, even after recognizing the second one wasn't very good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you want a real trip, read Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, the novel the movie was adapted from.

About all they have in common is some of the characters' names and two lines of dialogue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What's that?

"I got a 50-year-old lust and 3-year-old dinky" and "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gravity Falls is really drat good.

Stephen Universe annoyed me when I tried to watch it (quite some time ago) but I watched it right on the heels of Adventure Time and expected something similar, which it really isn't, so I may not have given it the chance it deserved.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

got any sevens posted:

How's adventure time these days? I stopped watching back in 2013 when it was getting up its own rear end more than venture bros and dethklok.

I loved the "up its own rear end" stuff so if that's what you thought my opinion wouldn't be worth much to you anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's an episode of Adventure Time where two bit characters inexplicably re-enact the entirety of the alleyway fight scene from They Live and it's hard to express how happy this makes me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unmature posted:

There's a gay ice skater shaped hole in my life. What are the dopest animes currently airing that I should be paying attention to? Preferably available on Crunchyroll.

Flip Flappers just finished and should appeal for similar reasons, if you haven't already watched it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Mob Psycho 100 finished last year, and it's a really good showcase of some creative animation.

It's the best thing out this season that isn't Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, for sure, and a more impressive work of animation even then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

In this version, they flip everything and make sure there's no message, like with The Jungle Book. In this case, Dumbo learns to fly and then instead of the French copying his design for bombers, he himself becomes a bomber, and personally delivers payload after payload of firestart over the civilian neighborhoods of Dresden

I'm sorry, are you trying to cast shade on Jungle Book and this theoretical version of Dumbo or are you trying to sell me on it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

so this is what it means to be... triggered

my favorite part of that post is at the end he bashfully admits to thinking Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast is a masterpiece, like that's weird or something

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think she's saying the plot has a mirrored structure, because yeah, that's the first thing I thought too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Not really, just as a comparison. I'm admitting that another film is affecting my perception of another since they're from the same source material.

Fair enough. I actually half-agree with you about Maleficient -- it isn't a good movie, but it shows ambition and takes risks, which is more than I can say for most Disney productions.

Cinderella had nothing going for it besides costumes and set design, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I love the 1950 Cinderella, mice and all. It's got my favorite ending for a villain in any Disney movie -- not Lucifer, who gets the stupid cliched falling death I've complained about before, but Lady Tremaine, whose comeuppance is just that she has to watch Cinderella go off to be happy and it horrifies her. :v:

e: actually come to think of it, Lucifer's death isn't a twist of fate, Bruno just straight up chases him off the window ledge to his death. So I rescind even that complaint!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 13, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

(Also, IMDB says Lucifer survived the fall in the novelization because he was so fat :lol: )

that's amazing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unmature posted:

On episode 9 of Mob Psycho 100 and if it were any longer than it is I would've dropped it by now. I just don't think this show is very good. And any time something cool or a character that I like is introduced they disappear.

And in this episode I've seen a scary evil boss say "kthx" and a guy call someone "noob." Did some fansubs slip into Crunchyroll by accident?

No, the "scary evil boss" is just kind of a petty, childish person. That's the point.

e: IIRC the Japanese they're using is 2ch slang to begin with, so "kthx" and "noob" is as close to the spirit of what they're saying as you're gonna get

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

I can't understand any of that, but I saw a short insert of Ping Pong, an amazing anime with a dope as gently caress artstyle. I'm assuming it's the same studio who made that so it could be cool. The art style isn't as raw or compelling, but I still like it.

They're both by Masaaki Yuasa, the most consistently good anime director alive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Dreamworks announces the sequel to Trolls, but it's actually about goblins

also it's puppets instead of CGI and brian froud is on board

e: i had to check to make sure he's not dead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Well, except that, in Moana's case "change" meant isolation and stagnation, ignoring the larger problems that lay ahead in favour of a comfortable life now. "Tradition" meant actually facing your problems and trying to resolve them, even if they seem insurmountable.

That doesn't contradict his point at all. Obviously Moana presents a return to the mythic past (e: and the humbled abdication of man's mastery over nature, for that matter) as a good thing, but that's the essence of his criticism in the first place.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

In the movie it's presented as competing traditions. Moana's father stresses tradition, but only if it's the traditions he likes.

Personally I'm just cheesed that they made a movie about Pacific Islander Prometheus and then were like "no, actually, stealing fire for mankind was stupid and selfish, go apologize to the Gods" because it's Disney and of course they did.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't really what they did at all, and in fact stealing fire from down below is explicitly one of the "you're welcome" things on Maui's list.

Maui stole a living creature's heart and condemned them to torment mostly because he wanted to and not for any greater goal. It gets glossed over because Maui basically doesn't belong in Moana as a character but helping humanity isn't shown to be a bad thing, it's the fact he does it for selfish and shortsighted reasons that is.

You're misunderstanding me, I think. I know what literally happens in the film, I'm talking about the contextual significance of adapting a myth about the person who bravely tried to win immortality for mankind, but was doomed from the start, into a story about a person who steals an incredibly vaguely defined "power of life," the benefits of and reasons for which are never clearly explained, and was foolish for even trying.

Taken in a vacuum the movie works more or less, but the symbols they're borrowing already possess meanings. Hercules has a similar problem, although Hercules is also kind of a mess in its own right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

That's inherent to the idea of retelling and reimagining myth.

Right. It's impossible to do it without making a statement through what you choose to change, and I dislike the statement.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

I don't think the statement is what you claim it to be though.

They substitute personal insecurity for defiant, existential heroism. It's the decision to minimize the importance of revolt and replace it with reconciliation that bugs me. Not because reconciliation is bad, but because revolt -- even (perhaps especially) against inescapable destiny -- is a great human virtue. It mirrors how Moana herself is a rebellious teenager whose half-hearted rebellion is channeled back into the restoration of an older and thus more legitimate status quo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or put another way, a story about a guy who lassos the sun so people don't have to work themselves to death every day, pulls islands out of the sea, and stops the sky from crushing humanity implies a very different understanding of the world than one in which the ocean is your friend and messing with the natural order dooms your island.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I heard, Disney marketing legitimately thought that Kylo Ren would be the breakout character like Vader before him.

I mean, I can almost see the logic: let's make a male Elsa and make him actually bad.

They shoulda given him a musical number.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I read it as a story about balance. Struggling against adversity and nature, but never forgetting to work in harmony with it. Pulling islands from the sea is one thing, but trying to play god (instead of demi-god) and wield power over life itself is a step too far. It's a metaphor for the human struggle, trying to create a place for ourselves in the world without taking it too far and destroying nature in the process. I mean...in this day and age, I'm never gonna throw shade on a story that's trying to preach working in harmony with nature.

It's all playing god, man. I think you're on to something but I also think that it's very important to distinguish between the superstitious fallacy of "going too far" on one hand and misusing what you've already obtained on the other. Domesticating animals is ultimately just as unnatural and transgressive as letting your domesticated animals overgraze, but it's the latter you have to watch out for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spirited Away is, like, C-tier Miyazaki. It's still a gorgeous work of animation but it's one third of a great movie with two thirds of "eh" tacked on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I will fight you

Totoro, Nausicaa, or Princess Mononoke are all far more deserving of recognition.

Spirited Away or Lilo and Stitch is a race I don't really have a horse in but still.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Haledjian posted:

Bellwether wasn't super memorable, but I wonder if a stronger villain might have hurt the messaging. The more the movie blames foxism on a shadowy cabal rather than historical/institutional prejudice, the less relevant it becomes as a parable. Maybe that's still a needle that could have been threaded, though.

I'm going to reverse my stance on Disney villains and say no, I think they did the right thing here. The best thing about Zootopia is it's willingness to grapple with systemic problems rather than point to a specific / personal source of evil, even if it only dips its toes in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I like Daniel Radcliffe in weird / viscerally unpleasant roles but the trailers just made Swiss Army Man look juvenile and tiring.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's no way a live action Little Mermaid would come out anything but completely bizarre, to the point where it would be too interesting to pass up even if it sucked. I don't think I can say the same for Beauty and the Beast.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh man, I forgot this movie existed, thank you for reminding me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I never watched Samurai Jack growing up. I was a Nick kid.

I watched it as a bored undergrad. There are one or two episodes that are really painfully awful and a product of the nineties, but most of it is above average to great and it actually gets better as it goes and they start playing around with more experimental stuff, with this episode being a particular high point.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 7, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

Yes I'd agree, but then I'd have to go in there and edit that meme.

Finding Nemo has the world turn out to be a lot friendlier than Nemo's dad initially suggested; that is not the case for Trolls. Everything we see of the outside world makes it clear that it is dangerous and absurd and that the trolls themselves have very little control over it. Poppy never suggests that the outside world is good, only that she chooses to have a good attitude about its oppressive senselessness.

Among other things, the trolls have no magical powers aside from the manipulation of their hair. Other, much much larger animals are genuinely trying to murder the poo poo out of them constantly, and the Bergens do indeed feel a rush of ecstasy when they eat trolls alive. Again, it's a very unusual approach.

okay you've sold me on Trolls, I'll watch it as soon as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Trolls is exactly as advertised

the movie peaks with Get Back Up Again but it's a good place to peak