Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
current status: putting furikake on everything while organizing my marriage with oscar-winning fiancé benjamin clawhauser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I hated Piper, how were the other animated shorts?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

With the aside about Goofy, it behooves me to cite Father's Week-End: http://www.b99.tv/video/fathers-week-end/

Quite the contrary, this is not a short about how Goofy tries and fails to live up to the identity of the modern man. Rather, the short clarifies that the joke - as in Father's Day Off and Fathers Are People - is that modern man's sufferings are interpreted as ironic vindication of his sacred, patriarchal role.

With that in mind, let's un-package your accurate assertion that Pixar's films are quasi-autobiographical, and its relation to your less stable reading that the films speak against a 'maximalist,' corporate ideology. As with Hedrigall's assumption that Inside Out is about helping children deal with their emotions (as opposed to unemotional children's films?), that 'sadness isn't marketable' is not an observable trend in Disney's works. Disney films are not only replete with tragic and traumatic scenarios, but highly dependent upon them as informing the generic fulfillment of their characters' aspirational fantasies. This is a quality that Pixar shares with and draws upon from Disney's legacy; working towards the parallel ends of sublime, optimistic conclusions that, while they may go against certain expectations of the protagonist, are never disruptions of the 'just world.'

To write accurately about Inside Out, we have to contend with the fact that it presents a symbolic order that is at once explicitly inspired by corporate, managerial trappings, but in which there is explicitly no "profit" in conventional terms. Inspired by the capitalist culture into which they are conceived, they still fundamentally present capitalism without money. "Capital" is represented instead purely by the stable and continued functioning of the symbolic order.

So Joy's position as a manager is not 'to maximize profit.' Her position is to 'keep the peace,' which she interprets as necessarily requiring her to take a dictatorial role, marginalizing Sadness and the other emotions, and unilaterally determining the progress of the corporation-as-person. Further, the lesson that she learns is not that she needs to 'take the loss' by including Sadness in order to enhance quality of life. Rather, she learns that sharing managerial duties - the synergy of different managerial philosophies - is an inevitable and necessary part of ensuring that the corporation-as-person not only survives, but continues to grow. She learns that she was actually inhibiting maximalization of what Riley could be.

The essential deviation in our readings comes from what I feel is your erroneous perception that conventional, generic animated features avoid the depiction of suffering/sorrow/etc. in order to maximize profit; whereas I just think that most films are mediocre, but necessarily market these qualities just as deliberately and efficiently as they market the sublime ending. Pixar does not choose to make children cry any more or less than Disney does. The irony is that Pixar (now Disney Pixar) is valued for being more Disney than Disney.

im gonna cum dude keep going

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

To reach climax, you merely need to ask yourself: Where is the "crying time" in Cars 2? A Bug's Life? WALL-E? The Incredibles?

What we've inadvertently come to in critically un-packaging Inside Out - because it is such a transparently honest film about storytelling and management philosophy - is that there is an entire meme about the perceived nuance and emotional depth of Pixar movies which is not supported by a consistent historical reading of the texts. Pixar does not 'want to make children cry' in order to enhance their quality of life. Pixar (or the abstract managers who are hired to coordinate the creative teams under them) are merely very adept at making conventional family cinema, and the extent to which they explore tragic themes and scenarios is motivated by the particular stories they want to tell.

And to that end, none of them resolve themselves in a manner that could even be described remotely as, like, melancholy. There is always the sublime realization of a just world which is largely indistinguishable from the already naive one in which the characters began.

Anecdotal British films such as Watership Down and Animal Farm illustrate succinctly the confrontation with trauma, mortality, and, most importantly, lack of materialist fulfillment which the Pixar meme selectively ignores. This isn't even a case of 'subversive vs. reactionary' films - both of those films are actually rather arch-reactionary. But at the same time, they are far more overt examples of precisely the kinds of stories (and aesthetics) that 'can't be made' in the contemporary climate which Disney-Pixar dominates, and which their major competitors won't even touch. The point of all Disney-Pixar movies - not just Inside Out - is that "sadness is good." But this is just a generic platitude, and part of an ideological fantasy.

It's necessarily a soothing form of storytelling, like having an emotional epiphany in a windowless Target.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

And if Pixar decided to recruit Charlie Kaufman to adapt a Don DeLillo novel, then we'd see some poo poo.

I mean, White Noise is basically a Pixar movie in book form.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Isn't the backstory to the Sir Billi thing that Sean Connery declared he'd only come out of retirement for Scottish-only productions?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Gad makes an unexpectedly cute LeFou but man the direction in this is unbelievably lazy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

I agree: they should make the remake more like the Cocteau film.

why go cocteau when you could go borowczyk?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Man, the opening for Tangled is super clumsy, huh?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

I just realized that Charlotte's Web was also '73. I doubt a re-watch of it will be as endearing as I found it as a child, but the showtunes are basically cooked into my brain, so might as well post my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bTSs3hTNRE

Please don't post about your fetishes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pick posted:

I know, I loved this movie as a kid and this song, and now when I re-watched it for some amusing nostalgia I was just like, aw drat, this contributed to some of the art I've seen in my time. drat you charlotte's web :argh:

They didn't know...

I can't believe you're paul-lynde-shaming.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
cartoons are bad

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Sometimes a half-eaten hot dog is just a half-eaten hot dog.

You'd be surprised.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I feel compelled to share a favorite of mine from two years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1S5pAF1YYA

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah the NFB website is a treasure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

CDD has musical numbers and also looks better in hindsight because it was dealing with intersectional politics 'before it was cool.' The montage at the end of modern movie posters parodies while Darla has been 'punished' by being a bill-poster is still more explicitly gross than the feigned sarcasm at the end of Zootopia ("It was a classic doing the wrong thing for the right reason kind of a deal").

Darla Dimple deserved death.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Correction: Darla Dimple is a distraction from the sick culture that made her an idol. She is also an exploited child.

Shut up, whitey.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No they were an excuse for frat boys to use racial epithets.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Cats Don't Dance promotes crab-in-bucket behavior among the people who aren't in the actual one percent - Darla's real downfall is failing to understand that she's new money and considered disposable to the actual financial ubermenschen, and therefore makes no attempt to better eatablish herself with the "deep state" cabal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
In Cats Don't Dance 2, Darla goes head to head with her feline nemeses on a mission abroad as ambassador to Czechoslovakia.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, Fritz the Cat is pretty much required viewing if you want a real taste of what life was like back then - not that it imitates it well, just that it mocks it with so much texture and vivacity that you get a really strong flavor of the post-hippie slump. It's not good in an easy viewing way, because it's tasteless, abrasive, and sort of boring, but it's an excellent signpost for an era, like reading Mad Magazine. Also, Crumb is a genius and even if it loses his wit in translation to the screen you still get his obsessively sexual nihilism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hedrigall posted:

I learnt so much about American history and culture by reading old Mad magazines from the 70s and 80s when I was a kid! They really do capture current events and the cultural zeitgeist in a fascinating way.

Learning about past culture via satire is ultra legit, tbh, because it focuses on really interesting minutiae.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, I just saw Moana and it was like watching the cheap video game adaptation of a better movie. Shiny is a pretty limp villain's song, breaking from the Jewish tradition and instead going for a kind of vague Britpop vibe, but I was impressed by You're Welcome, particularly the patter segment. Otherwise, it was just kind of blandly passable and lacking in showmanship.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Clumsy Card House posted:

Coco teaser. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCz4mQzfEI

The end shot of the city looks promising.

Wow, quick remake.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Unintentional comedy is almost always more sufferable than insufferable comedy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ahaha this thread needs to put all of its Best Ofs into a museum

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Teaser trailer for the next film by the national treasures that are Aardman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNxWO_t2qM

The adult part of me wants to say this looks dumb, but the running band making nonsense music had me in tears so ???

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I enjoyed it a lot, but like many other Pixar movie's it's disconcertingly corporate.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That's like my dad's girlfriend and her daughter getting all worked up over a "challenge" in their starbucks app where if they buy a frappucino every day for two weeks they'll get double rewards points or something, and all the way to the starbucks they were discussing it and talking about frappucinos and what a great app is, and as we pull into the starbucks drive-through, literally just before she orders a venti frapp, she says, "I wish I liked frappucinos".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

sexpig by night posted:

That's just such a grim image.

I think I'll be telling that anecdote for the rest of my life, or until capitalism crumbles, because it's such a perfect encapsulation of the process and its impact on human functions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The moral of The Incredibles is that some people are just better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

All three of these things should be brought back, as should the overarching context, in which you pay a single price to watch whatever's programmed and stay for as long as you want.

This is called movie-hopping and it's an exceptional way to pass the time in a dead suburb.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

I'm way too much of a pansy to do this, no matter how bored.

One of my best high school memories is of my friend and I buying two huge Togo's sandwiches and eating them while movie-hopping - the second movie we saw was Poseidon, and we were all by ourselves (which is weird in retrospect, because it means they were technically playing a movie nobody bought tickets for), so we cackled all the way through it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ImpAtom posted:

They technically have to play the film even if nobody buys tickets because you don't know if someone is going to buy a ticket after it starts.

It's really funny to me that, if we hadn't wandered in with our gigantic sandwiches, the film Poseidon would have played, in its entirety, to nobody, and for no reason.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This was also back before digital projection, so someone had to load the film platter and everything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

probably not, no

This is a nightmare.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I saw Coco and it was fine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

I almost want to blame Pixar, because it seems like, even if it's only at an anecdotal level, the only kind of strong or visceral emotions that are treated as implicitly consistent with mainstream animation is tear-jerking sentiment. Meanwhile, some folks are going back to Dumbo and need to figure out 'what went wrong in my brain watching this,' even though the body of short animated work Disney produced before and contemporaneous with the film is more than enough to resolve the issue. There is no contradiction, Dumbo was always a whimsical cartoon with, like, minstrel numbers and poo poo.

I really miss that sense of hallucinogenic and dangerous whimsy. A piece of really good kid media should bring the viewer to the brink of fear, implying a void or a sense of too-muchness in a way that goes beyond stubborn literality - the temporary tearing of comfort and the presentation of something truly abstract. It's almost like there's this rush to explicate everything that happens, which leads to things like the land of the dead or the interiors of the mind being rendered inert.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Shadow Hog posted:

for instance, I love the way she delivers "and don't forget the importance of body language!"

BAAAHHHDDYYY LAAANGGHHUAAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Good villain songs also have a clear ideology behind them, which any good musical number needs.