Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

Really, that entire scene.

The make-up scene as well. Apparently not all of the takes had Ginnifer Goodwin breaking into tears during it, but using a take in which she did is partly why that scene works as well as it does.

The "Them" line really surprised me the first time I watched the film. I figured it would be a cute, fuzzy animal movie in a simple parable but they really went for it.

That scene, and the OST's score from that scene, really elevated the movie into one of, if not my favorite recent Disney movies. It totally helps that Jason Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin are great in their roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Pixeltendo posted:

I always enjoyed the "HOLY SMOKES HE'S A TOON" line from Who Framed Roger rabbit.
The line is pretty plain on its own but Valiants delivery of making it sound horrific was great.

(and the stop motion flattened Judge doom always did freak me out)

Bob Hoskins is just perfect in that movie. He really sells that the toons are both believable and unbelievably annoying at the same time. Its great.

Also, I'm partial to the line "Oh my GOD ITS DIP!!!"

Its such a strange movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Robindaybird posted:

I really don't think the movie would've done as well if it was anyone else playing Eddie Valiant

The funny part is the number of people who declined the role are all over the place. Eddie Murphy declined the movie and later regretted it. Bill Murray said he would of done it if it had been offered to him. Harrison Ford was too expensive but was the first choice. Who knows how accurate this kind of information is regarding casting for a movie is though.

Still, I can't really see anyone else doing it. Hoskins brings a serious element that was desperately needed to balance out the movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Or just... tell another story with the same general idea, and carry over a few characters from the first to keep it connected? WFRR's premise, of cartoons being "another Hollywood" living beneath the surface of live human Hollywood, is pretty ripe for exploration.

I agree. The premise is solid and there is a lot of room to explore, particularly some of the oddities of modern animation.

Using computers to go all necromancer with Bob Hoskins and Roger Rabbit would be a bad idea. A sequel at this point would basically need a whole cast and would probably be better for it.

At this point, I'm not even sure we are taking about a sequel and more a spin-off but whatever these days.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macaluso posted:

Unrelated but goddamn is the cannonball scene at the end of Kung Fu Panda 2 loving awesome

It's also really pretty. I love pretty much that entire sequence. The confused look on Shen's face when he can't hear Po, the awesome fight, the bit with the wolves, and that great finale.

It really is my favorite of the bunch. Even with this thread's great posts on the first movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

K. Waste posted:

Have a plucky sci-fi short from last year called ADAM: Chapter 1. Interestingly, Neill Blomkamp directed a sequel to it this year as part of Oats Studios, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA

Oats Studios is really neat. They have been doing some really interesting stuff. Rakka, Firebase, and Zygote are just fantastic. Their animation stuff with Fluke is just bizarre and interesting to me at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_4Qqnlpi-s

I'm curious as to the end-game of the studio but all the stuff they've put out thus far has been interesting at least.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

K. Waste posted:

Hot-take: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is better than the first by a pretty wide margin. I like the first, don't get me wrong, but it's got nothing on this bizarro-noir hellscape.

I like the quiet, rain-soaked cityscapes of the first movie a lot more. They are both great movies (if flawed at times), but the first one has a quiet that really draws me in. When Motoko is on the helicopter heading to the drop-off site and the movie just slows down for a bit gets me every time.

Hey, that bit is on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yemnjIS7aVs

The sequel does have some bonkers imagery though. The hacker's mansion and that insane parade were a blast to watch in the theater.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This is wonderful.

starkebn posted:

I absolutely love the first GitS and can't even understand what the gently caress is supposed to be going on in the second and think it's pretty garbage.

The aesthetic of the old timey cars is pretty cool though

I'm a huge GitS fan and I can barely follow the second film. Its very pretty but very muddled in what its trying say plot wise. I don't mean the story beats as it really is just child sex slaves get their brain signatures cloned into sex dolls and that's bad, but more just the "why". It has some good moments for the characters as Batou and Togusa are fun to be around. The bit at the end with the Major is a nice touch as well. Past that, the movie is basically "The Major is still friends with Batou but has evolved beyond that (kinda). Identity is important. Here some pretty images."

I want to shill the youtube channel Nerdwriter1 here since he did a cool piece on Ghost in the Shell, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXTnl1FVFBw, as well as another video about how the Live Action GitS is...not well thought out.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

K. Waste posted:

See, you've actually misread Major's relationship with Batou. They are not friends, Batou worships Major as a guardian angel. In mythological terms, Major is associated with the master who inscribes "truth" or "death" onto the forehead/into the mind of the golem. Batou is a tragic Frankenstein monster who at once acknowledges that the child-sex robots are innocent victims, but treats them with the same extreme prejudice as he treats the yakuza and, more directly, the old man in the supermarket. He pays lip service to their deaths, but when he teams up with Major to fight them, this is presented as a straightforward and perverse power fantasy.

What the film is 'saying,' in as much as it says anything, is that Section 9 are the bad guys.

I should of placed the (Kinda) with a bit more care as ya, that relationship feels a bit more one-way in the films. It has been a while since I've watched anything GitS but I feel like they were closer in the series. Or at least, she had a more "Big Sister to Little Brother" vibe instead of the cold colleague vibe from the films but it has been a while. Batou does seem to be chasing a ghost, so to speak, in the films.

Section 9, and pretty much all the government organizations, are definitely not the good guys.

That's a cool read on his character though.

Edit: VVV While this is true, I try to be nice.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 7, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

Double post, but about a different film, cuz I'm going back to Zootopia again.

Is there a good rebuttal against the criticism about the whole predator/prey dynamic that the film is centered around having rather unfortunate implications? Like, the criticism is specifically that there's some level of truth to the matter of predators eating prey; not in the present time, of course, that much is made explicit, but it's also explicitly stated to have definitely happened an untold number of years ago. Therefore, the film's ambitions to tackle the subject of various prejudices in human society (albeit not any specific ones) is thoroughly undermined, since the film is also stating that those prejudices had basis in truth at some point long ago, which is sort of the exact opposite thing you want to do with a subject like that, as it just justifies the bigots holding those prejudices.

Best counterarguments I can make sort of sidestep the issue without really debunking it. Pointing out that it's hardly the only prejudice in the film, such as Judy encountering "small people can't do big people jobs" or Nick encountering "all foxes are untrustworthy sleazes, full-stop", doesn't really address the accusation at all (because the predator/prey angle is still a pretty heavy focus right from the opening scene). Pointing out that the film does go out of its way to state that things have long since changed just ignores that it also states it had basis in truth in the first place (again, right in the opening scene), which is the entire crux of the argument. Pointing out the film was a lot worse about it in the shock-collar script doesn't really help matters either. I can't shake the feeling that it is, bluntly, a true criticism, and that the core allegory really is flawed in that way.

I'm still not that bothered by it myself (though as a white cisgendered heterosexual male, I'd be unaffected by most prejudices in American society applicable to the allegory anyway), but a friend of mine absolutely hates the film for this, and I don't know that I can convince him to overlook it.

I think it falls into an problem where the central setting of the movie, Prey vs Predators, is solely used to set up the movie's cartoon universe and to create a simple "other" character for the main character of Judy. This idea pretty much stops here and should stop here. It is why things like how food is almost completely unmentioned, how the rabbit society would collapse due to overpopulation overnight if true, or why the Nudist scene without genitals exists. Its basically saying, "Don't look too deep into this Animal Society. It is inherently silly." Trying to apply this Predator vs Prey mentality to our world is just wrong. It would show an either shocking lack of understanding of race issues at best or would have to come from a racist mindset at worst.

The other themes and ideas the movies discusses are worth talking about. How bias can exist in well-meaning characters, how it gets exploited by various factors, the fear of the other (or "there is a them now." bit), etc etc etc. Those are things worth discussing and diving into because the movie shows them in interesting and clever ways. These are the things to take from the movie as worthy of discussion.

I took Zootopia as a way to introduce people to some of the underlying issues regarding race, bias, and privilege, but in a basic, funny way. It is not trying to blunt about it but uses these cute animal characters to ease you into that discussion. It is a good starter to some very real, very relevant topics of our times.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This looks like some Direct to DVD Sequel.

"Catch up with all your scaly friends as they embark on a new adventure...RELATIONSHIPS"

Like, I'm having a hard time believing this is the actual 3rd movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i liked wreck it ralph

the trailer for 2 might be one of the actual worst things i've ever seen and i think i'm going to picket this loving movie

Same...

The first movie used nostalgia as a backdrop to establish its characters as "legit video game characters" despite being new creations. Its was cute and had some nice touches, especially Zangief and the gags at Root Beer Tapper's Bar. It was purely backdrop for telling the story and worked.

This feels like the Emoji movie. Do you recognize this brand cause we do (or we own it)? It may be a bad first trailer cause I cannot help but wonder what the conflict is? Searching for a broken part feels like an excuse to just shove things/references in our face and that sucks.

That said, the Disney Princess part is funny to me. For all the fan-wankery that is going on, Cinderella smashing her shoe to a broken shard to attack an intruder is inspired.