Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Coco is the only thing I am looking forward to.

Well, other than the sweet embrace of death.

Either of these will probably be delayed into 2018 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spatula City posted:

I don't think either Dory or Pets is going to be nominated. There's actually a few international animated films that stand a good chance at a nomination, in part because the Animation branch now has a weird voting system that favors artier animated films and filters out the mainstream stuff that isn't strongly liked. I loved Finding Dory, but it doesn't seem to be lighting anyone's world on fire. Secret Life of Pets made a lot of money, but nobody really cares about it. The Red Turtle is very likely to be nominated, and then there's a few other critically acclaimed titles, including April and the Extraordinary World, My Life as a Zucchini, and Your Name.

How does that interact with the 'Chinese cartoons' judging expertise though? Seems like this would guarantee a Zootopia win. (Or a Sausage Party win if 2016's eldritch powers still apply)

Not nominating Dory seems like too much of a snub for Pixar, surely.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/sorry-women-wont-directing-major-u-s-animation-releases-2017-147053.html
:(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cars takes place after Zootopia elects a tyrannical leader with bad hair and all the sentient animals wipe themselves out by global warming.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you expect 'interesting' movies to win major film awards then lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unmature posted:

There's a gay ice skater shaped hole in my life. What are the dopest animes currently airing that I should be paying attention to? Preferably available on Crunchyroll.

The Rakugo show might be in your wheelhouse if you are looking for something very mature and different. Little witch academia will probably be the highlight of the season in terms of animation, but that's not on Crunchyroll. The Maid Dragon show from Kyoani might be better than you'd think. There's a few other things that might surprise people.

Yeah otherwise it's a pretty weak season.

Watch Hand Shakers if you want to see a train wreck.

https://twitter.com/ANNJakeH/status/818894738069688320

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just sums it all up, doesn't it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Enh, YoI is about adults in healthy relationships. Flip Flappers is kinda the definition of My Problematic Fave.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cowboy Bebop is a good but depressing show.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

In this version, they flip everything and make sure there's no message, like with The Jungle Book. In this case, Dumbo learns to fly and then instead of the French copying his design for bombers, he himself becomes a bomber, and personally delivers payload after payload of firestart over the civilian neighborhoods of Dresden

A Trump era hero

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

My Disney playlist on shuffle is loving amazing for getting through a dreary work day before Switchmas tonight. I just went from Hellfire to You Know Who You Are (from Moana) to Hakuna Matata :allears:

Dang, I just realised that Moana is structurally a palindrome.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Could you clarify what you mean? I'm a bit curious but don't quite get it.

Well, this is not an incredibly thought out thing, but the key point that stood out to me is that the scene where Moana gets the Heart is a mirror of the scene at the end where Moana restores the heart. Both in terms of the waters of the ocean standing aside, the general imagery, but also the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKREKoRTMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EboJrjl_ELI

Then kinda other parts start falling into place for me. Like getting the heart is followed with a sequence about Moana discovering who she is contrasted with her responsibility for the village, with songs like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVzDrqOmYiY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAbx5kgCJo

Meanwhile preceeding the final battle you have Moana reconciling her responsibility with her will to go adventuring with a song that literally combines the two above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Lm1-W0jow

Similarly before the scene of Moana getting the heart, we hear the story of Maui and how he lost the fishhook and disappeared forever. After restoring the heart, we get shown Maui having the fishhook returned to him, and the flying off. The film begins with Moana trying to sail out of a reef, succeeding on her second try, and ends with Moana trying to sail into an enclosed area of the ocean, again succeeding on the second try. And so on.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I finally got to see Moana last night and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the characters, the scenery, the music and this is one of the very few instances where I didn't hate the sidekick. (I was very surprised the pig wasn't in the majority of the movie as it seemed like the sort of design made to be adorable and sell merch. But Heihei is Gobbles from South Park, so that's fine n' dandy with me. It came across as a little hectic, but that didn't bother me as much as the absolute emptiness that was Frozen. It didn't seem quite so transparently calculated to push out and market. The world felt full and meticulously crafted with a lot of the unnecessary details that give a lived-in feel. And drat, have they nailed hair. Lovely, lovely hair. Definitely looking forward to owning it so I can pour over the minutiae.

I also realized that this is probably going to be the only film I see in theaters this year. Maybe Coco, depending? This is such a goddamn empty year.

Try and catch Your Name or A Silent Voice if they appear in theatres near you. I really think they are worth your while.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am super hyped.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://youtu.be/UHaKc-fpPcA

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oscar noms are out:

quote:

Animated feature:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia

Animated short:

Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper

This should basically guarantee a Zootopia win, no?

EDIT: Kubo also gets a visual effects nom. Moana and Trolls get music noms.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 24, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

devilwu posted:

Red turtle should win, in my opinion. It's a beautiful piece of art.
My Life as a Zucchini is great and it's Claude Barras first film which is really awesome but not an oscar winner.
Zootopia was fun and all but far from an oscar.
Kubo and the Two Strings I didn't see it ("shame!")
Moana neither this one

What are your prognosis?

Oscar wins don't reward individual artistic beauty because they are voted for by non-experts. So Zootopia and Moana and to a much lesser extent Kubo are the only options with any real hope. Zootopia is a good movie with a good message, so it's a nice pick especially now, and it did better than Moana. I'm pretty happy with Zootopia winning also.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Hey I just lurk here p much but have a question:
A lot of folks on reddit are annoyed that Your Name didn't get a nomination--was that movie really good, and I should watch it, or is that just weebs bein weebs?

It's a good film, but A Silent Voice is better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I spoiled my mom on Ghibli and now any time I show her something animated, she says "I liked it, but I liked the one with the little people better." :allears: And speaking of which, any further news on that film Miyazaki supposedly came out of retirement for?

And a follow-up on this

is still very much wanted. What happened.

Show her Wolf Children?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I read it as Moana's tribe retreating from change and choosing stagnation and decay over facing a challenging world. And I don't see how it represents an abdication of man's mastery over nature, since part of the movie involved mastering nature through travel. It involved showing respect for nature, yeah. There's probably a thinly veiled metaphor for climate change denial in there.

Yeah. In the context of Trump and the insular America he's bringing in, the message is pretty clear.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Stealing fire is a separate thing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That's inherent to the idea of retelling and reimagining myth.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Right. It's impossible to do it without making a statement through what you choose to change, and I dislike the statement.

I don't think the statement is what you claim it to be though. In the narrative construction of the tale Maui the demigod needs to fail... So that Moana the human can succeed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does anyone know the backstory of how Miyazaki got his Oscar? Because it seems like a real aberration. Did Lilo & Stitch alienate the judges or something?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Spirited Away is really loving good, pal.

Being really loving good doesn't generally win Oscars, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mycot posted:

Normally when people speculate conservative themes in Japanese works it's less about pro/anti-war and more about the implication that the War was a horrible thing because the Allies ruined everything at no provocation. I'm just mentioning this based on other discussions, I haven't seen the Wind Rises still.

Yes, I think this is right. There's a lot of focus on Japanese suffering, especially once the tide turns, and not much on their actions. I think people do think of folks like Miyazaki too fondly - while I would not call him pro-war, he is pretty conservative these days.

I recommend people seek out Giovanni's Island, BTW, for a movie on this sort of topic that does give attention to the Japanese as perpetrators and not just as victims.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

However, it focuses on the suffering of the common people. Of the civilians, that is.

Right, but the point is that the grand arc of a lot of Japanese media can be read as 'it sucks to lose wars', especially when paired with pro-war media that supposes WWII is redone with some particular advantage for Japan that ensures they win this time round.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

This Korean movie (Underdog) looks good!

Any word of a release date in the west?

Hmm, wonder if that pun exists in Korean.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm neither white nor American so seriously, how are we turning this into a racism thing? Yeah okay, there's a good argument for watching a movie in isolation, but I was making the case that if you watch more anime and consume more Japanese media you fit the film into a larger cultural context that the core audience exists in. I specifically mentioned a different anime that bucks this trend, so reading this as a diatribe about perfidious japanese is just strange.

It's in a similar way that you can perceive concepts like the magical negro archetype through seeing many US films and understand the trends in depicting African-Americans, when you can't really talk about it so much if you just look at a single film in isolation.

FWIW I would level a similar criticism at many US antiwar films that fixate too much on a message of 'war is bad because it sucks to be a footsoldier'.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 27, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

the basic idea of the anti-war parable of the Brechtian and Miyazaki-an sort is that he who seeks war for profit or glory will be destroyed by it.
I do not agree that this is an anti-war message. In fact, this is a pro-war message. It means similarly that hey, if you went to war and you aren't destroyed by it, then that means your cause is just. It means that at the end of the day winning is what is important. Our hero shows the rightness of their cause by defeating the bad guy fair and square!

The case that war is wrong is not that war is unprofitable. The acceptance that wars produce justice is itself problematic.

quote:

this necessarily implies the guilt of the actor. a common racist stereotype of japanese and east asians is that they're incapable of feeling guilt because of face/shame culture or whatever, so therefore they can't by definition understand the point of the antiwar parable. so yeah, basically it's racism. not that there aren't people in japan who are poorly educated about the war or have bad opinions about it, but this particular narrative of "the antiwar message is actually proof the jap is unrepentant" is racist, or has very leery parallels with that particular strain of racist stereotype of east asians

Incidentally as you illustrate, the attitude I criticise is not limited to East Asians. The failure is a failure of empathy with the victims of your own side, a point equally exhibited by say, films like Pearl Harbour. People like Tezuka do a far better job.

No, I am not saying that this anti war film proves Japanese are unrepentant or whatever ridiculous strawman. I am saying that it really complements rather than fights the pro war message. The pro-war message being 'we must be strong so that we don't lose again' and 'next time our wars will be for the right reasons'. Seeing as Miyazaki had to release alongside the film in Japan an essay clarifying the message of TWR, it would seem to me that's an issue he himself recognised.

quote:

and anyways, all of miyazaki's movies with antiwar messages that I can think of (naussica and mononoke)(maybe not fireflies but that's not miyazaki) pretty clearly show this and not a one-sided "one day the USAF showed up and nuked us" thing

Miyazaki is ultimately very inconsistent on the anti war question. Yes, Naussica, yes also Laputa (key scene, our heroes sacrifice their entire heritage and apparently their lives to prevent it from being used as a weapon by the bad guy). But then you have Future Boy Conan where finding that the nation Industria is preparing a WMD, our heroes assault Industria, overthrow its government and use a boat to forcibly relocate the survivors. So um.

I don't really recall any anti war message in Princess Mononoke. Isn't the point in the end that ultimately what the two sides want *was* irreconcilable? Eboshi needs to cut down the trees to get the iron so that her community survives, the forest doesn't like that. Eboshi wins in the end and all the magical forest creatures are killed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think you are getting to the state of wilfully misunderstanding what I am saying.

icantfindaname posted:

Lol what on earth? That's not what Naussica or something like Mother Courage and her Children are saying at all, dude. The warmongers in those stories don't win. If they did, yes, it would have a different message, but they don't. You don't get to just make up different outcomes for the sake of argument.

??? This is literally what I am saying. The bad militarists lose, the good militarists win. The process is that you are conflating victory with good. Naussica succeeds at being anti-war not because the war destroys the warmongers - it destroys everything, Naussica's attempts to fight back is ultimately futile, it's by an act of self sacrifice that peace is restored.

quote:

Wars in Miyazaki-land don't produce justice. They produce bad stuff and the message is that they're bad.
Except for the examples I mentioned.

quote:

Yes, and the fact that this echoes the trope of the hivemind Asian unable to feel guilt is actually problematic, even if you don't intend it to be.

quote:

It doesn't say or imply that at all, actually. This is entirely you projecting this onto Japanese people. The fact that Miyazaki wrote an essay clarifying that no, that's not what it's saying or implying seems to me pretty clear? :shrug:

I meant the parts of Japanese culture that is pro war. That is the message they have in their literature. The fact that Miyazaki had to write that essay illustrates that he understands his work to be problematic in the context of these other works and other people existing.

quote:

The forest starts to regrow at the ed, and Eboshi and Irontown learns its lesson and reconciles with nature and the native peoples and puts its war-profiteering and environment-destroying ways behind it. I'm not really sure how you twist this into "actually they're pro-war and lack empathy for their enemies". Well except for the standard "you know how those people are" like Snowglobe said

I did not in fact say that Mononoke is pro war. I said it's not anti war. But it is a film where war is portrayed as necessary and ends because one side is killed off. (Not to mention the bad samurai faction who are entirely defeated.)

quote:

Dang, you got me there. Clearly this guy is a regressive right-wing fascist, who could agree with that message?

Oh forget it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 27, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

A bad guy starts a war and loses at great cost to himself and others. This is a pro-war message. That's actually what you think.

Platoon is an antiwar film because Elias dies.

Catch 22 is an antiwar film because Milo Minderbinder makes a massive profit and totally gets away with it.

Doctor Strangelove is an antiwar film because the guys in the bunker get to survive and gently caress women for the rest of their lives.

Captain America, where Cap beats up the evil Nazi trying to take over the world, is not, IMHO, an antiwar film.

Rambo III is not an antiwar film.

quote:

That's not the message in the literature. It's not a pro-war message, you're doing tortured twisted pretzel logic to to fit your pre-held belief that the Japanese are insufficiently remorseful for WW2

Do you literally not believe Japanese militarist exist.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 27, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked it when Nick dismembered those rhinos,

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think my POV is that I would certainly like to see Disney adopt more varied designs, especially for its female characters, but it doesn't offend me terribly at present.

I think Pixar has the 'advantage' that they essentially span the creation of modern CGI animation, so a lot of their changes are driven by technology. Actual female human Pixar characters are also fairly few and far between, whereas there's a few in basically every major Disney film so far. We'll see where Disney gets to in a few more films. I mean, we know that disney *can* do varied character designs, see e.g. Big Hero 6.

Backgrounds are trickier. I'm not sure what people would suggest have very distinctive backgrounds in 3d animation?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 14, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Disney works have been fairly risky in terms of writing, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I started typing about how unlikely I think it would be that they would make a show about teenagers beating each other up, but I guess Karate Kid is a thing, huh. How come that gets away with it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wait so where is Nick?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just saw Lego Batman, it ruled.

Was the ending song by the kid from the Lego Movie?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

Thank you, one of my only straight-up issues with Tamatoa's design, that I think extends a little beyond "preference", is that his being shiny seems like a very good move on his part. He doesn't seem to be affected in any negative way by his decor. In fact, it helps him catch fish easily, and it makes him look super appealing and awesome. He "shouldn't be murderous", but since he is a monster in the land of monsters, it seems probable that he might have been anyway? (monster crab racism) So the question is: why not be greedy? The only very, very tenuously implied downside is it negatively affecting his relationship with Maui (see tumblr for details).

So really, is there any negative effect as such for Tamatoa shiny-ing himself? Based on his design, not at all really :shrug:

I think the suggestion the film makes is that his inability to turn himself back over is due to the shiny, but it's not clear. If you know crab biology it also explains why his leg hasn't grown back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

I know that decapods molt as they grow, but that's going to be determined by how much he eats, not whether he has anything on the exterior (decapods often develop barnacles on their shells but it doesn't stop the molt). And then he could just re-position that stuff on his new shell after it hardens. I maintain that, if anything, the gluttony that his shininess facilitates would only hasten the process of regenerating into a newer, bigger, better coconut crab on the reg

I meant that my understanding is that he's electing not to molt because it would involve discarding his shell. And this is sorta thematic to the film being about people developing and not being attached to false notions of who they are. Like, he's intended to be a mirror of Maui, in that the shell - like Maui's fishhook, gives him tangible benefits but also holds him back.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 18, 2017