Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Are you claiming that Disney's marketting for Frozen was somehow ineffective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Honestly, though, it seems a significant stretch to say that Disney, the creators of the most commercially successful films in history, did so despite being 'bad at marketting'.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Most of my favourite animations is anime so its hard to pick out line readings. I did really like chief bogo's "it was already broken" line in Zootopia though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh, the gently caress? Most of those derails are caused by people who don't otherwise post in this thread coming in to do OMG YOU'RE SICK.

This is dumb as gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway I saw Your Name finally and enh.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Of his films I think it reminds me most of Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Far Below. The art covers up the cracks a bit better this time round, but the issues are similar. There's like a point at the 2/3rd mark when her messages start Mysteriously Disappearing from his phone, and they simultaneously develop the idea they love each other where it goes full Shinkai and it just grinds hard against where the earlier part of the film is going, and all the interesting character development bits just get unceremoniously dropped.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 24, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hughes was abusive to his wife Sylvia Plath, to which some attribute her depression and suicide shortly after separating with him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Saw Ballerina. I thought the actual dancing bits was well done, with some nice moments with the retired ballerina character. Though it's fairly predictable of course. What absolutely drags the film down is Victor the obligatory comic relief boy character, and the crappy action scenes that he comes attached with. Which is annoying given how they want to make him important in the climax, and the only way they can do it is put our protagonist in a position where she is totally useless and has to be rescued.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Night is Short, Walk on Girl was pretty fun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I see Sony is bouncing back after the Emoji movie

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Should I know what this is, other than "mediocre at best"?

Peter Rabbit is a famous series of illustrated children's books by Beatrix Potter. Cute rabbits in clothing, beautiful drawings, very popular.

http://kinderbooks.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/97807232691062.jpg

That trailer is bad.

quote:

In 1938, shortly after the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Walt Disney became interested in making an animated film based on The Tale of Peter Rabbit. However, Beatrix Potter refused to give the rights to Disney because of marketing issues.[30]

lol

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 22, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's a shitload of good stuff made *by* goons, indeed there's probably a number of them organised by people who met on these forums. It's just, why do this thing as a *Somethingawful Forum thing*? It doesn't really earn you any automatic respect.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Who's TJ Miller?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That rings a bell. Wasn't he in the Emoji movie, also?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Saw Loving Vincent. It was pretty good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

More theme-landers:

ParaNorman
LEGO Batman
Corpse Bride (score heavily reduced by everything else about it)
Meet the Robinsons
Princess Mononoke

The question being, generally:

+ What is the film trying to say?
+ Do the events in the film credibly validate this statement?

LEGO Batman is actually a particularly good example where every single arc in the film ties to its core statement about growing up by reaching out and connecting with others.

My question for films like Inside Out is:

+ What is this film actually trying to say?
+ Does most of the runtime even relate to this? To the extent that it does, does it actually support what the film is saying?

You can search my history in this thread where I lay out why I strongly thing the answer to the former is "It isn't actually sure" and "almost none because of an over-reliance on shortcuts in a poorly-defined environment". This was, incidentally, my biggest complaint about Bee Movie as well, although there it was ramped up to absurd extremes.

Have you seen A Silent Voice yet

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I think Up was alright because for example the emotional climax of the film was him having to sacrifice what symbolically represents his wife (the house) to go save the kid. I can't really remember how Inside Out ended, I guess they used Anger as a blowtorch?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

The problem I have with that is that the house ended up going exactly where he wanted anyway. It felt like it undermined its own point.

It did but *he never sees that it does*.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well the other guy is obviously Evil Protagonist who has allowed (noble motive) to become murderous obsession, so the hero clearly needs to learn to ultimately exceed him in a way. I agree he didn't have to die though.

I kinda hated the bird. I like dogs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brazilian catholic artist does melodramatic drama comic about abortion, translates it to english. Culture clash happens...

(Abortion is illegal in Brazil except in medical cases or in cases of rape)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not like any part of that debate or rhetoric is unfamiliar to the United States.

Yeah but it's a lot more normal in Latin America.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

World Famous W posted:

I can't speak for the rest of my country, but in my good ol'e southern state of Alabama we have evangical Christians about to line up to vote for an accused pedophile because "his opponent is for killing babies". A whole lot of the anti Doug Jones campaigning is based on the fact he is pro reproductive rights and the conservatives hate that.

Plus the murder of abortion doctors, the laws passed to make it more difficult to run a clinic, the constant call for defunding PP, O'Keeffe ridiculous stunt STILL being used as evidence, their desire to overturn roe v wade...

My understanding is that the crazy no-abortions allowed position is actually the current law in Brazil and supported by the majority of people according to surveys, so I think the cultural whiplash here is that this artist probably didn't even think they were even making a very strong statement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Protip filmmakers, don't call your main character something that sounds a lot like 'dad' and have your trailer be about him trying to kiss the love interest while she is calling his name. Yikes the trailer for Tad The Explorer was awkward.

Unrelatedly Coco made me cry bitch tears.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is... either missing my point or completely, hilariously wrong, depending on what you mean by this

anime is done 8 keyframes per second. they then send these keyframes to in-betweening studios (which are usually other big anime studios trying to scrape together money for their next project) to smooth it out. this is why you sometimes get really hilarious and janky screengrabs from otherwise well-animated anime, because in-betweens aren't really supposed to look good when freeze-framed so much as they're supposed to make the transition from keyframe to keyframe look nice and smooth. 2D anime is not typically released at 8fps unless it's so low-budget they literally couldn't afford an in-between house.

This is incorrect.

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/12/31/an-introduction-to-framerate-modulation/

If you don't believe me, look at this example where they step through an action scene. The fireball moves at 24 fps while the bird moves at 12 fps.
https://videopress.com/v/Fy4tsp4A

That's a movie. TV series does animating on threes more often.

Keyframes are about *movements*. Start of a throw, end of a throw etc. For that reason they obviously cannot be put in on a fixed framerate of 8 fps.

Miyazaki keyframes for a run cycle http://cdn8.openculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Miyazaki-Running-4.jpg

The characters obviously do not run at a fixed rate of two steps per second.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 12, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, there haven’t really been any egregious Best Pic animated film snubs recently (I haven’t watched Coco yet though, so maybe that got snubbed?).

I’m still pissed as all hell that The Lego Movie wasn’t nominated for best Animated film though. That was bullcrap.

Ironically this was the context behind the infamous 'chinese cartoons' quote. The interviewee was pissed off that Lego Movie didn't get a nomination and Song of the Sea/Princess Kaguya did.

In terms of Best Picture nomination snubs, well, Coco was probably a better movie than Darkest Hour....

For Unmature, I think what it's worthwhile going into on an oscars video is the oscars nomination and voting process. There's a lot of videos and articles out there criticising the Oscars in terms of 'X movie that I like should have been nommed instead' but not much that explores how this really happens and what the rules are. It's really interesting for example how Cartoon Saloon keeps getting nominations: I mean I love their films, but it's striking how they are successful despite their relatively niche status while others aren't.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 9, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked Big Hero 6 a lot and I'm glad it won the oscars.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The animations Oscars are hosed because they are trying to do a bunch of irreconcilable things. But if you accept that the award is going to ultimately come down to a popularity based vote, it's a nonsense argument to have the nominations try and pre-empt the final vote by eliminating something that has a strong likelihood to win the final contest. You might as well make the entire thing a panel-based decision (though good luck figuring out who makes up this panel...)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

All that really needs to be said.

https://youtu.be/K_hfOSLrvKA

Also talking about Mulan as 'they have a quota to fill' is the sort of thing that makes me eyeroll so hard I almost forgot I came in here to gush that The Breadwinner was really good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Your Name's ending?

10 minutes of will they won't they nonsense based on the assumption that I care about whether two kids with 30 seconds of screen time together and even less chemistry, meet in later life. Meanwhile the entire rest of the plot is resolved offscreen.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

The rights issue is actually pretty simple.

Well, insofar as any rights issue can be simple. If this does go to court (which it won't), Disney would probably argue a fair use defense, asserting that the use of the image is transformative, that it doesn't diminish the value of the image, and that the nature of the work is not copyrightable. If the artist wins, they may not be able to claim any damages from Disney, since they would have to argue both that stealing the work cost them financially - *and* that their original creation of the work was not commercial.

Moon Atari posted:

If allowed to use fan art unpaid they will quickly shift to doing so whenever possible, crowdsourcing whatever they can to the fan community. Free fan art could already easily take the place of official promo material and printed merchandise. In the extreme you might get something like marvel encouraging an online community of fan artists to produce full comics, then publishing the best ones without having to pay. Everyone else already tries to fleece artists by paying for work with "exposure", so it wouldn't be stretching norms too far for bigger companies to follow suit.

This already happens. Even saying that fan artists have to be asked for permission wouldn't change the situation too much in the 'exploiting artists sense'. However if there's a general sense that fanart could create legal issues for the original creators (in this case, hurting not the BG artist but *Disney itself*), I suspect the situation will get suddenly a lot more hostile. The result would, I suspect, be that rights holders would be a lot more active. Open art communities would be acted against, instead fanart would be herded into gated communities where to draw [insert character] you have to explicitly sign a contract that gives the original creator rights to the work and signs them up to binding arbitration in the rightsholder's location of choice. That would be a no brainer move for big rights holders even if they were acting in good faith and just want to protect themselves, and completely legal.

My impression as an artist is that you create original works for your own advancement, profit etc, and fanart for enjoyment and to support the original creators. This seems to be the current cosy consensus that allows fanart to exist despite it in many cases being indisputably a breach of the original creator's rights.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

Actually the rights issue is even simpler. The holder of the IP owns the rights to distribute any derivative work, period, unless it is satirical or transformative (the latter being a very high standard). Its status as non-commercial is wholly legally immaterial, it's a standard by which IP owners tend to act but it has nothing to do with legality per se. Posting it online is distribution, passing it around to your neighbors is distribution. Fanart is protected to the extent you can draw it for yourself and hang onto it. Whether you made money from having distributed it doesn't affect this and I'm not sure where people are getting the sense it does.
Hmm, I guess supporting that would be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work#When_does_derivative-work_copyright_apply?

quote:

Copyright ownership in a derivative work attaches only if the derivative work is lawful, because of a license or other "authorization." The U.S. Copyright Office says in its circular on derivative works:

In any case where a copyrighted work is used without the permission of the copyright owner, copyright protection will not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully

So I guess Disney's argument would be that fanart as derivative work is created without authorisation and insufficiently original, thus is not protected by copyright.

I think on the broad legality of the case the courts might fall down either way, but I wouldn't bet against Disney's lawyers.