Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I tried Trollhunters and had to turn it off about halfway through the first episode. Everything was so bland and sterile looking (I'm sure because they got no budget for it). The characters are all generic looking, and I hate the main character. He was like the author's idea of a perfect son, but also one that can stand up to bullies. Like, he makes meatloaf at 6am for his mom and friend because she works so hard and I don't blame that for you mom, now don't you microwave it find an oven. (I turned it off after he told his mom to use an oven instead of a microwave. That's the kind of poo poo I see come from the 30-something mothers on Facebook.) It's purely aimed at children. And I watch Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and watched the first 5 or so seasons of Adventure Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A tube top.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

Holy crap. Are modern Disney blu rays always this jam packed? I remember being disappointed by Wreck It Ralph's, but I only buy the old rereleases.

If you want more out of the Wreck It Ralph release, pause the movie for about 5 seconds.

EDIT: For the Moana releases, there's not going to be like Target or BestBuy exclusives on the disk, right? It seems that everything has moved towards exclusive packaging, with like a book or something.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 16, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

What episode was that? (I can think of a few suspects.)

I'm going to guess this one:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ipj1e

However, it was apparently written by John K, even though it was a season 3 episode.
http://renandstimpy.wikia.com/wiki/Stimpy%27s_Cartoon_Show

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

starkebn posted:

Yeah, I hope it doesn't have to become a regular thing just because they've done it twice now

The audio commentary on that episode said they were aware it sucked, and hope to do another just so they can redeem the concept, and not let it stop on a lovely episode.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Zim was good and I always thought the style of the show was gorgeous.

I'm glad they're doing a movie, which hopefully picks up right after the show ended, because it was cancelled like just as the show was starting to have a big story arc. What with the introduction of Tak and everything. It seemed like they were starting on a big story and possibly an endgame but it was all cut short

The comic did this. Dib was frozen on a computer looking for him and got super fat. I forgot what Zim did. I stopped picking up the comic when I realized I couldn't remember what happened in the previous month's comic at all.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Who Framed Roger Rabbit shouldn't be on anyone's Top 10 children-appropriate list, because when I killed your brother, I talked JUST LIKE :siren: THIS :siren: :gonk:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

The only thing going for Toy Story 2 is the song.

Which did not connect with me at all leaving me coming away with the film feeling like I just watched some DTV nonsense.

That's what it was going to be originally. Until Disney changed their mind and gave it to Pixar to do properly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story_2#Development

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

Unironically one of my favorite movies growing up and I watched it constantly. Only later did I learn its terrible secret...
I had to look this up, and...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_(film)#Warriors_of_the_Wind

quote:

Dissatisfied with Warriors of the Wind, Miyazaki adopted a strict "no-edits" clause for further foreign releases of Studio Ghibli's films.[17] On hearing Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein would attempt to edit Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable, Toshio Suzuki sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts".
ahahaha

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pick posted:

Here's a terrible iphone image of one of my dream cels which after 15 or so years (:shepicide:) I finally got:

Someone had to ditch it fast too so I got a good deal.

I've got a production sketch of the Unicorn I'd be willing to let go for like half what I paid for it once I can find it again, if anyone might be interested they should pm me.

Alright, I'll be the one who asks. What is this? I think I see unicorns dancing?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

HAH! Searching "John K" on Youtube brings up my video about what an rear end in a top hat he is to people in his own industry as the first result. I tried it logged out too, so my profile settings wouldn't affect the results. Good job, internet.

Your videos are great, and I even got my fiancé to watch, when she doesn't normally watch YouTube stuff. She (and I) would love to see you do a Don Bluth episode.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pick posted:

When I die the comet will transport my spirit to a planet that has a second season of Clone High.

Is there a second seat available?

To be continued?!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

the gorilla bouncer in Roger Rabbit? I had to leave the room for that.

Judge Doom, childhood ruiner, 1988 Champion.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did Archer start writing new jokes? I stopped watching in season 6 when Kenny Rogers showed up to play Danger Zone. That show had an ability to drive a joke into the ground.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm in the theater waiting for Captain Underpants and there's a row reserved for a birthday party and God help me.

Rated PG, so that'll happen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh god, this is going to be like Secret Life of Pets, where they had a minion short before the film.

My fiancé just really likes cats and dogs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

the secret good guy agency they both work for.

Wait what? How is stealing the pyramids and the moon good guy stuff?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Eight Crazy Nights is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Don't bother.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's one to make everyone's eyes roll. It's by Spumco (John K's company), with flash animation! :nws: of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9uz9ig_Ws

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ratatouille is worth it just for the food critic's review of the meal at the end of the film. That's probably one of my favorite monologues in films.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I bought a ninjago toy to get out of downtown disney's kafkaesque parking lot. I'll give it to the nephew or something

that's my story

How does buying a toy get you out of a parking lot?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pick posted:

Vanity Fair has a new Hive article about Pixar’s issue, can’t seem to grab the link on my phone, can someone help me here?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/disney-pixar-john-lasseter-leave-allegations

There you go. Now you got to go finish your Brave Little Toaster thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder if there'll be a noticeable bump after the 8th for those people who have been waiting for the short to be cut off before seeing it. (Such as my wife and I.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is it a marathon if it's your normal broadcast schedule anyways?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

The villain should be a bad version of Kidd Radd.

few will get this reference.

GNARL!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a bluray collection of the Disney Mickey Mouse (et al) and Merry Melody shorts? I have a Loony Toons bluray, but can't seem to easily find a similar thing for Disney shorts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Roth posted:

People keep putting the Emoji Movie on in the break room at work.

Kill me.

Have you put in an anonymous call to Osha yet?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Since the Gravity Falls thread is long since closed:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/978667402064875521

I am going to buy a $80 bluray, I don't even care.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So here's something I just saw from Funko:
https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/991709332986388480

I hadn't even heard of this Pixar film. But then now that I think about it, the only things coming out from Pixar that I know of is Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unmature posted:

I have made yet another video about cartoons
https://youtu.be/qhXHFwZ4BT0

Cool, I'll have to watch it after work. I really liked your previous videos, and have been hoping there would be more.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That princesses scene just makes me cringe so hard. I liked the first movie well enough to buy it on disk, but that scene sounds so terrible that I don't see how the rest of the movie could be any good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hate all of you who mentioned Clone High season 2 before me. :smith:

TO BE CONTINUED

?

!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No you don't. Just buy a Jim Gaffigan CD and play some Abbot and Costello meet X film on mute.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What was the last major 2D animated movie? My Little Pony? I think it might honestly be a bit of both; since the advent of CG most 2D theatrical films I can think of, even the well-regarded ones have been box office disappointments to bombs, even the well-marketed and overly ambitious ones, but it doesn't help that Disney took a different marketing and thematic tack with the CGI movies like Tangled and Frozen.

Maybe it also doesn't help that most successful adult-oriented cartoons are seen as South Park style; low budget, deliberately crude and/or simple animation and focusing on adult humour and themes (to more or less extents) while CGI is probably perceived as having higher production values and effort. (regardless of the truth that both are pretty expensive and difficult) In short, people have low expectations of 2D animated theatrical movies, which have mostly been met in recent history.

Isn't there a Teen Titan's Go movie that's coming out? I saw it advertised in front of Ant-Man & The Wasp, and it looked traditional, if not the Flash style of how animation is now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been looking at that "Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection" dvd set - does anyone have it and, if so, can you tell me how comprehensive it is? Similarly, are there "complete collection" releases for classic Disney shorts or Tom & Jerry cartoons?

Thanks.

I have the first volume on Bluray, and it's not chronological or complete. It does have a lot of special features however. Wikipedia tells you what's on there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection:_Volume_1

EDIT: Oof, don't get the DVD:

quote:

A DVD version of the box set was released on July 3, 2012, but contained no extras.[4]

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And Invader Zim for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwDN8pJvW2I

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was going to post this in the thread for Disenchanted, but I'll just do a quick one here. The show is inconsistent in some cases. It's not bad, and I felt myself want to watch the next episode through the weekend. But some episodes felt lesser quality than the others. I remember utterly hating an episode around 3. The comedic timing needs some work, and there seems to be some awkward editing (staying on a shot just a bit too long, interrupting the flow, etc).

I had more of a problem with Elfo than Luci, but overall liked the characters well enough. They feel like they haven't quite "found" the characters yet, and I doubt that's because of the 10 episodes being released at once. A TV series has a few episodes in the bag before they start to air, so I doubt if they aired this weekly they could have made any adjustments.

The later episodes seemed like they had the David X Cohen ability to plan out jokes and plot better. For a episode 9 spoiler, I thought it was clever to use the joke of the bridge to Elfland breaking to be a comedy of errors for Bean just getting into the village. It had the funny slapstick of breaking the bridge, hurting a guard, and then throwing him accidentally in the mud. But it was also there to be an excuse for Bean to unknowingly get a drop of elf blood she needed at the end of the episode without being obvious at all.

Other jokes in the show are hysterical. Such as the assassin's exit from the show, without going into too much detail. The overall plot isn't as heavy or well executed as something like Gravity Falls, but I don't know if they'll pick that up in the second half the season. I'm going to definitely bing it again when the second part goes online.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1034214807828803584

It's got to be better than Disenchantment (which I thought was "fine"). Very looking forward to this. I wonder if that means that his deal with Fox ended.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first Shrek movie is one of two movies that I definitely saw more than once in the cinema. Saw it on Friday evening with my parents then saw it the next day for a friend's birthday.

It was definitely the big movie that everyone had seen and everyone had liked and everyone quoted to death in my school (before that it had been Austin Powers 2).

I know I'll still quote "I'm making waffles" whenever I'm making them for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The whole Orgalorg thing was the low point of the show, followed by Stakes, and the elemental stuff. The rest of the show was okay, but not entirely needed for the finale. All you need to really know is:

• During the "Elements" thing, they say that there are Fire and Ice elementals, and Slime and Candy for some reason (PB being the Candy one). She can shoot candy from her hands.
  • Marcaline can turn into this giant cloud that is Ram-shaped for some reason.
  • Also during "Elements", the world gets overwritten by each element. LSP reverses it in a big dumb way. This also undoes three of her relatives being transformed into candy citizens. They're seeking revenge (although one is transformed back into candy before the finale). This is the most important part of the finale.

I would watch the Islands mini though, because that lets you know what happened to Finn's mother.