Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dr. Memory posted:

Nearly every shot of Jake is in close-up and just lingers on his details. You'd need to go that far with the mapping or he wouldn't look real.

The individual scales are pretty quick work, though. Look at this shot: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rango/images/a/a8/Rattlesnake_Jake.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110702081516

Airbrush, airbrush, stipple, stipple, maybe a crack or two, overlay some dirt, pump out spec and normal maps by modifying the color map then move on to the next. It can be done pretty quickly once you're in the zone.

Pretty much this, I did some stippling art and it really does go quick when you're in the zone - and while the movie-goers won't appreciate the *art* of it, their brains do register how real and weighty Jake looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If anything, adults would get way more out of Roger Rabbit than kids do.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

best way to experience Steven Universe is to never ever go on tumblr, it takes about 3-5 episodes for it to start hitting it's stride.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder how much of Kubo bombing is based on it's own flaws, or because people burned by Boxtrolls stayed away from it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Flip Flappers have overly sexualized loli characters, so I'm giving it a hard pass.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly, even for Anime - Winter is always a weak season, but it looks positively dire this time. Little Witch Academia is the only promising one and who knows when Netflix will put that up.

Also curious, what do people in the thread think of The Gregory Horror Show?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And Yoko Kanno knocks it out of the park with music - as usual. People love to bitch about dubs, but Cowboy Bebop has a really fantastic one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can take or leave Macross Plus, but god drat I love Information High and Borderline

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Egbert Souse posted:

That calm sort of evil is way more disturbing. I do love how intelligently Cinderella is written as a character. Completely self-sufficient and nothing gets to her until she cracks after the humiliation before the ball.

In fact, I forgot that Eleanor Audley voiced her (she was also Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty). Disney doesn't get enough credit for the stellar voice casting on their films prior to The Jungle Book, which kind of jump started the trend of getting more famous actors to do voice work.

(Also, IMDB says Lucifer survived the fall in the novelization because he was so fat :lol: )

Lot of people forget that Cindy doesn't happily accept her lot, she's very snarky about the thing - she just is smart enough NOT to say it to Tremaine and her daughters. The lead up to the humiliation was so subtly passive-aggressively evil - Tremaine pointing out pearls that neither sister had gave a poo poo about - it was clearly a signal for them to go at it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

He would be almost an entirely different character.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's fascinating what catches on where.

Cowboy Bebop wasn't really all that notable in Japan, Big O was a flop, and Voltron as said was an also-ran, but Bebop is beloved in the US, and Big O was such a hit they released the otherwise canned second season for the americanss, and Voltron has a huge nostagla factor.

in non-animation, Wizardry pretty much died in the US but they still continue cranking out games in that name in Japan.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hot drat, that's some great paint work. Good job, that's a massive improvement.

I get Kid Meal Toys aren't gonna be the best quality, but who looked at Jake and goes "That's good, make millions of those." It's not even remotely close to his overall color.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and creators being petty in news columns and books i.e: the dude who somehow managed to be Poe's official biographer despite openly hating the guy and had so thoroughly trashed the man's reputation that it only now started to recover.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I won't say I'm in Love is really unique for Disney love songs for a lot of reasons - Meg has a lower register than most leading ladies, and it's a very sardonic tone that disney usually doesn't go for - and it speaks out to all the people who had suffered heartbreak and been burned on romance - especially in the case of being betrayed.

It acknowledges love is not smooth, but the ending and the movie showed that yes, it's possible to find love again.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, woke up with the thought: Meg really is quite different from the rest of the Disney ladies. She's cynical compare to the cheerful optimism most of the Princesses have, was nominally working for the villain, even if it was against her will, and it's never outright stated, but it's pretty certain she's quite a bit older than Hercules - whereas most of the others are either the same age or younger than their male love interest.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suy9S_8FOuc and there's this cover, Hall of the Mountain King is a really versatile piece in the right hands.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

I remember someone bemoaning the end of Disney infinity, and now I do not understand why, because it looks loving terrible

It's terrible to play, but as mentioned the add on toys/models are of really, really good quality - on par with Amiibos or better so it's good for figurine collectors.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's weird, I see small plushies of Miss Bellwether out of all possible Zootopia characters in JCPenney's

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry fam, I got you

Delete This

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Found more Zootopia merch: a much bigger Clawhauser plush - thought of you Hedrigall, but it's weird JCPenneys has merch of a side character and the villain, but not the protagonists.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think so, didn't pull it out of the plush bin so had to eyeball it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Granted Witch cursing is it's implying the idea of refusing hospitality to an old woman in the middle of winter is more or less a death sentence (think of say the Angels in Sodom or Gammorah, or of Zeus and Hermes and the town they turned into a lake), but still an extreme overreaction to turn the servants into furniture.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

I might get drawn and quartered for saying this, but I'm not really the biggest fan of Don Bluth's stuff. Most of his stuff is.....the best way I can put it is visually off-putting. I can't really articulate why, I just don't like it.

Also he has a bad habit of drawing small girls with bedroom eyes and THAT'S WEIRD.

I think he almost over-details things, for some people that just pushes things into that valley.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Knowing the real-life context makes it impossible for me to watch All Dogs any more, it's just way too depressing - especially realizing she was only eight years older than me, there's something jarring about the horrific incident, and realize at the time, she was much, much closer to our ages, we got to grow up - she didn't.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Drifter posted:

What happened to Matt Damon? Because he sure as poo poo didn't deserve anything for Great Wall, which was just a dreadful movie overall with bland but at times strikingly colorful imagery.

I felt like he should've got it last year for The Martian, but yeah sometimes the reason why people win rewards or not get it is very baffling.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hedrigall posted:

I'm still watching Atlantis, I keep having to do other things so I only get through 20 minutes at a time.

A lot of the plot contrivances are annoying me (like how they magically speak every modern language despite being isolated for thousands of years, because something something root words?) but overall it's still a fun adventure!

This would make a reeeeeally good Uncharted-style game.

Oh, and wasn't there some controversy back in the day about this movie ripping off some anime, Kimba-style? I remember reading about it on the internet 1.0 soon after I saw this movie in the cinema.

A thing I keep saying when it's brought up, so much is crammed into the movie with it's huge cast that it could've been serviced better by making it a mini-series, but that's not something studios did at the time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Lion King had an excellent score - the Wildebeest Stampede always sends chills, and the score's such if you close your eyes, you can picture the scenes, and as mention - Aladdin is just fantastic with setting the mood.

Mulan's got a pretty good one, I particularly like how A Girl Worth Fighting For ends in that it's both quite abrupt and yet there's a kind of trailing off as the army first sees the scorched village, taking the wind out of their sails.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I would love it if people finally realize that there's no such thing as "ironic racism" or that "I offend everyone equally" is a bullshit excuse to use slurs and offensive jokes without being called on it.

Why is everyone named Seth in Hollywood a raging dickhead?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What's amazing about Ugly Darla and the Darla she puts on for everyone is it doesn't really distort her features at all to achieve the effect, it's mostly keep brow furrows and grimacing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

think my favorite out of the lot is either the meerkats trying to get into their tunnels, or the Alligator trying to attack some Zebras

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I don't know if it can be worse than another friend insisting on taking me to Alvin & the Chipmunks.
So is this just a thing for me, or does everyone else have otherwise good friends with tremendously bad taste in movies who thrust them upon you as a test of friendship? Who got dragged to Norm of the North?

My mother likes Bio-Dome

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel kind of bad for Watson, since almost everyone that's talking about the movie focuses on how auto-tuned her voice is - that has to be humiliating.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hedrigall posted:

Well maybe she should learn to sing then

I can see circumstances - George Clooney actually has a decent voice, but they didn't have time to get it to snuff for O Brother - the Coens are notorious perfectionists, thus a stunt voice was brought in for "Man of Constant Sorrow" (He was rather mortified by this). But yeah, she had to know they were autotuning her voice, and at that point - it would probably be less humiliating if they had brought in a stunt singer, especially if it's to the point that the average listener can pick up on it.

Though honestly Watson was just not a good fit for what they wanted.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

She has talent, but shouldn't have been in this.

It's not the most ridiculous casting choice I've seen (Arnold Schwarzenegger as 'Former Olympic Gymnast Mr. Freeze' still tops my list), but definitely a poor choice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Build-a-Boar posted:

As someone who has never heard of this book, everything about this frightens and confuses me. Nice animation though!

it's a series of books, it's pretty fun in a goofy manner.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aces High posted:

Is it only the US? Because I've seen posters here in Canada that say Ballerina

likely, because the US is insecure in it's masculinity.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tony Jay voices Megabyte.

Checkmate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, it's about as bad as the Johnny Test days

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think like Johnny Test, TTG is just so loving cheap compare to other shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Doesn't help that it's apparently more profitable for Steven Universe to release in Bombs, despite the fact every single time, the show gets leaked weeks before they air.