Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can't get my roommate to watch Anomalisa with me. How do I change this?

Samuel Clemens posted:

In case you were curious, the other nominees were:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

Ma vie de Courgette was robbed, I tell you. Robbed!

Ma vie de Courgette...was that My Life as a Zucchini? What even was that movie?

Hedrigall posted:

I'm happy. Zootopia and Moana were both practically perfect films in my eyes, so either or both sweeping the various awards nights is good. I'd give the slight edge to Zootopia for fuzzy catpeople but I'm biased

What just the catpeople? So biased.

It clearly needed more raccoonpeople. Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So I FINALLY saw Rango for the first time yesterday. Holy poo poo.

I have so many questions.

Like what exactly is going on with Beans' face? It kind of scares me. Also why is Rattlesnake Jake the best villain?

Rango is like an ADHD chameleon and as a person with ADHD, I love him.

Hedrigall posted:

Watching Storks, it's super good. Hunter is the best bird :h:

Hunter is the best part about Storks, really.

Not to say the movie is bad, it's a great movie. It's just Hunter is the best part of that great movie.

Also the wolves. The wolves are the second best.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Everybody forgets about Pom Poko. :(

I mean, ignore their stuff about the balls though. The ending makes me tear up at least.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Grogquock posted:

Just watched Pom Poko. It's one of the better environmentalism themed films I've seen. Humans are portrayed as an effectively unstoppable force of "anti-nature" in their development but not with any particular malevolence beyond a normal spectrum of human behaviors and desires. Aside from the transformation elements there is a lot of "this is real poo poo" and you just have to deal with it and probably die regardless. If the raccoons were wiser to the ways of humans earlier on one wonders if they could have found a way to buy some of the land themselves, spoiling part of the point of the movie. I had the feeling that the foxes might have devised such a scheme but didn't care enough about the non-transforming foxes to care. They certainly were only making proposals to the raccoons for material benefit to themselves.

PS: Go into the movie trying to think about raccoon testicles the same way most western audiences would think about cow udders. An expected part of the portrayal of the animal which is occasionally used for comic effect.

They're not raccoons! Tanuki! Tanuki have giant balls in Japanese folklore.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

My phone wallpaper is bestpaper

I know the artist of this! He's cool beans. :3

He needs to draw more though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Ooh do you know him know him? Or just follow him on the things? Anyway yes he really should. His work is definitely great inspiration for my own third-rate character design aspirations.

Yah, I know him know him. We used to chat a bunch a few years ago until we just sorta drifted apart as people tend to do.

You should show your art!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Disney's got some emoji things called MyMoji from Funko. Still no Zootopia things in it.

But there's a Stitch one.

They also have Marvel ones so I got Rocket, Groot, and Black Panther. I only really wanted Rocket, but BP feels like him in the blind bag and you can't have Rocket without Groot.

Speaking of Stitch, I rewatched Lilo and Stitch a few days ago. It has a lot of adult jokes that I didn't get on the first watch. It's quite wonderful.

Though, I also read an article about how Hawaiians don't like Lilo and Stitch because it was the first portrayal of a Hawaiian in a Disney movie and Disney went with a "broken" family as the theme that was also quite poor. They apparently pushed the movie really hard in Hawaii though.

Moana, however, did a LOT better. Except people thought that Maui was made fat to appeal to a wider audience. Except, if you know anatomy, he's not. He's just really muscular and barrel-chested.

Hedrigall posted:

Nope, there's too many good actual artists in this thread :S

I would say PM them to me but I don't have those yet. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalCrackersMovie/posts/641444559372837

Apparently Animal Crackers is still happening.

Maybe?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know what that is.

Hey, Annie Awards happened:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/complete-list-of-2017-winners-148292.html

Zootopia won big! Link is possibly nsfw for half naked glittertigers (depends where you work I guess :grin:)

Benson Shum did the best animation reel for Zootopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70Uyg0jnsQ

http://www.iamag.co/features/zootopia-reel-by-benson-shum/ Here's the full video.

Hedrigall posted:

I have more dollars than sense

The weird part is sticking your feet inside of a cartoon lion that has been skinned into shoes.

I've always had a problem with that kind of merchandise. :( Though I think I had a Cookie Monster pair as a kid.

I also have a Cookie Monster t-shirt on right now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Thanks, now I can never watch another youtube video ever again because this will be on repeat forever :mad:

Dude after I searched for it on YouTube and posted it here, I watched it like six times then went to Google Play Music to listen to the full song twice.

I need help, I think. I just watched it again.

Also I just remembered I have two pairs of LARGE slippers. A pair of tigers and a pair of St. Bernards that you stick your feet into the mouths. So comfy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I need to figure out how to record on PS4 because the Disney Infinity team used the Zootopia IP in the weirdest/best loving way for one of their Toy Box levels.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

If only the PS4 came with a dedicated Share button or something!

Sarcasm aside, ya just hit that button and you can upload to YouTube or Twitter or whatever.

...Oh yeah, it's the button I rarely push so I forgot about. :v: Thanks! I'm gonna give this a shot.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPY3PdnmrY

Here's the video of the Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Zootopia mission made by the Disney Infinity team.

I didn't make it because PS4, thanks to DRM, only allows 15 minute videos to be recorded and it's always a crapshoot of what actually got recorded...It seems like this person has the PC version and an Xbox controller so....yeah.

Anyway, this story is just...crazy. It's almost an official fanfiction since it's from Disney themselves, just not the movie side. HOWEVER, Byron Howard and Rich Moore have probably seen this because they are in a video on Toy Box TV showing the winners of a bunch of fan-made Zootopia levels.

I wonder what they think of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The game looks awful, but I'm more surprised they were allowed to mention the chlorine and ammonia bomb thing than the admittedly awful graphics.

The main reason anyone wanted Infinity was for the figures and that's why people mostly got upset Disney killed it literally with no warning They killed it because, while it was more popular than Skylanders and sold more figures, it wasn't popular enough for Disney. So, they not only killed the game, but Disney no longer makes video games anymore as Disney Interactive no longer exists. Though, there's mobile games now so there's that. Alice and the Looking Glass are the last figures for the game.

Marvel got their gaming rights back, which they gave to Sony and Insomniac for Spider-Man and the rest are just kind of everywhere else.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't played it, but I hear that each Skylander is plays uniquely. None are reskins of others. Which is pretty crazy given the amount of Skylanders there are.

Actually a lot of the Skylanders play the same just about, just the visuals are different.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/zootopia-filmmakers-spoof-la-la-land-hell-high-water-poster-parodies-977437

I'm loving all of these posters and I hope they continue on forever. Or at least until the next Zootopia movie.

Remember, muskiness is not a crime.

EDIT: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/02/17/breaking-james-earl-jones-and-donald-glover-join-the-cast-of-the-lion-king/ Also this too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh my god the art in the thread is nice. haha

Except that cup thing. The Funko thing. That's awful.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Saw Rock Dog earlier today. It wasn't bad if you keep your expectations low. As good as Lego Batman? No, not in the least. But it's alright.

I liked the animation, especially towards the end when Bodi used his uh... magical guitar powers to make the wolves leave. The story is weird and cliches though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Drifter posted:

Was Rock Dog better or worse than Storks?

Sorry, just got back from vacation so didn't see this until now!

Storks was pretty good, nothing in Rock Dog beats those fuckin' wolves though. To me, that joke was amazing each time.

Rock Dog just looked nice, at least to me. I wish it had an art book or Official Art PDF or something.

Though, I'm all about cartoon style so....

Also YAY ZOOTOPIA WON BEST ANIMATED! :woop:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

So Boss Baby is the sequel, got it

Boss Baby looks like a pile of trash. Ugly trash. Babies should not have incredibly punchable faces but Boss Baby does.

It's worse that, when I was watching Rock Dog, there were adults in the audience proclaiming how Boss Baby looked good and some kid screaming "Mom!! Look! It's Boss Baby!!!" when the trailer came on.

The Ninjago movie trailer got no laughs at all...in fact Boss Baby was the only trailer to get any laughs.

Unfortunately, it might turn out to be like Trolls and look like absolute poo poo but actually be a decent movie. I mean, I don't want that to happen, but I could see it anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just finally caught up on the thread and uh...holy poo poo. It's ok guys, it's just cartoon movies. Calm down. :v:

I do kind of want to see Cats Don't Dance again though...

I need to watch Sing now that I can stream it. My roommate's seen it and says it's decent. It "suffers from being released after Zootopia" but that it's a good movie and was emotional enough to make him cry.

My year looks to be filled with superheroes and live action stuff (Power Rangers, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman (maybe), Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor 3 (maybe)). What are some animated movies coming this year? All I can think of is superheroes... I'm not really sure if there are any?

Fangz posted:

How well do you think Boss Baby will do? Do kids like films about babies?

Unfortunately, judging by the reactions the trailer got before Rock Dog, I think it'll do VERY well.

I still think all of the characters have very, very punchable faces. Especially the baby character....which is a weird thing to say.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Ruh roh, won't the millions of internet in-jokes totally date the movie in 5-10 years? (Probably not as bad as the Emoji movie though)

I hope Emojis aren't even used by the time the movie releases.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm listening to the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack previews on iTunes (although I think I saw the full tracks up on Disney's Vevo YouTube page in the last few hours) - does Emma Watson sound autotuned to anyone else?

Anyway my bf said he'd get the CD for me on the way home from work :3:

Google Play has the entire soundtrack up.

I'm actually quite happy with Gaston's song. Very happy.

Josh Gad was born to play LeFou though. Holy poo poo can he sing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Saw Sing last night finally. I liked it. It wasn't Zootopia, but it made me want more of it anyway.

Pretty sure Mike is dead though, but no big loss.

There needs to be more Johnny in the 2020 sequel (which is a thing). Also more of the lab technician hippo. He was all over that movie in the background.

I'd watch the gently caress outta this.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 13, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Minions kinda crossed a line when they became part of an April Fools' prank that backfired horribly.

What was this about?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I actually prefered Cinderella's dress when I was a kid. In fact, my first picture I ever drew was of her in her blue gown.

Her live-action dress is pretty nice, but I love her animated one more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FxPjDL8HFM

Also, this snowball scene kind of makes me laugh. This might've been posted here, I'm not sure where I found it...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh gently caress yes.

I didn't know he did another!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hed is the resident awesome lion of the thread. Every thread has one.

Every thread on the internet.

In all seriousness though, I might go see Beauty and the Beast tomorrow. Or Logan. I'm not really sure yet..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctz-k7NXq4s

I love this.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 22, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Guys, I skipped out on Beauty and the Beast to see Power Rangers last week.

I do not regret it in the slightest. Power Rangers nostalgia beats Disney nostalgia every time. Except for Guardians of the Galaxy. And anything Zootopia.

Granted, I also skipped Logan too.

DC Murderverse posted:

Sorry to interrupt the growing realization that Disney will not stop until they are Cyberdyne Technologies with animatronic animals instead of Terminators, but

A Movie About Ferdinand The Bull Starring John Cena just released a trailer. I actually think casting the human equivalent of a fighting bull to be the voice of Ferdinand is kinda cute, and the obvious "bull in a china shop" gag was good, but the rest of this trailer looks pretty "meh"

I'm down for this. I liked Rio 1 and 2.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Countdown to fan art of Ralph posing like Kim Kardashian...

You joke but this is going to happen so many times.

Disney knows what they're doing too.

They. Know.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I didn't have cable as a kid so I relied on the weird Canadian and other import cartoons (occasional Nicktoons etc) on Australia's equivalent to PBS, on weekday afternoons. Also new episodes of Angry Beavers a friend taped off Nickelodeon for me :unsmith:

There were morning cartoons on commercial channels but I never woke up in time for those :shrug:

Oh and I finally got cable in like grade 10 but by then I thought I was too cool for cartoons, what a stupid idiot :rolleyes:

This is adorable! I'm imagining you getting like a tape mailed to you every so often filled with nothing but Angry Beavers episodes. Then they do it like once or twice a month. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Selachian posted:

I can hardly wait until my daughter is grown up and the theaters are filled with edgy, adult reboots of Paw Patrol and The Amazing World of Gumball.

Keep hoping for this.

You have NO idea how much I would pay to see an edgy reboot of Gumball. ahaha

Also Hedrigall..holy poo poo, man.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Putting them in order is too much thinking for this current work day I'm trapped in. So, also off the cuff:

Hedrigall's Hits
Lion King (probably #1, come on, it's me)
Beauty and the Beast
Princess and the Frog
Zootopia
Ratatouille (favourite Pixar)
Wall-E OR The Incredibles OR Inside Out (can't decide a second Pixar)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (if that counts)
Rango
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle (probably #10)

I hesitate to put Moana there yet, and push out Howl's. I love it to bits but ask me again in a year just to be sure.

If I could do top 10 franchises I'd put in Kung Fu Panda but I couldn't pick a single movie out of the three to stand alone.

Madagascar 1 is also way up there for me.

How is Zootopia not #1 for you?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I like your list, wanna come over and watch movies? :3:

I'll join! I've never seen the Iron Giant. haha

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Anyway, Sing. What was the point of Mike? He's a real piece of poo poo to everyone, exposes Buster's true prize money and destroys his theater while tangling with the bear gangsters who he hosed over, gets to sing My Way anyway, has a bit of a musical realization when Meena sings Stevie Wonder to show that maybe there's more to music than Sinatra (maybe to show that he's really not all that much of a dick after all when he still totally is?), then has a final scene that's left open to interpretation whether or not the bear killed and ate him anyway (along with his girlfriend).

Why the final scene anyway? It's like they didn't know what to do with Mike and just ended his story like that.

I think the entire point of Mike is so Seth MacFarlane could focus on something besides Family Guy and pushing for the second season of Cosmos and be a dick while also singing.

Basically, he put all of modern Brian Griffin in there with Sinatra and bam...there you go.

I'm also super sure he died. I'd be surprised if he showed up in the 2020 sequel. I'd be surprised when he shows up in the 2020 sequel and there is no mention of the bears at all.

I liked the movie but I hated Mike and I'm sure there will be a gaping plothole in the sequel that will remain completely unmentioned when he comes back.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Unmature posted:

I wanted to talk about gay cartoons for a second and I always wanna talk about gay cartoons and there aren't enough gay cartoons. Let's talk about gay cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC11j6_J7ME

EDIT: I also just watched that CN short about the monster kid that was shared here and am in love with it. I could totally see a whole show about a kid who's different and just doesn't let that get in the way. It has a very Steven Universe message of just be friends with everyone.

This was really good! As someone mentioned, Lexington is canonically gay too.

I'm curious as to which of the Eds is supposedly gay?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I am really troubled that this is the second weirdly sexualized clip I've seen from Boss Baby.

Wait there's another one??

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Uh... Anime movies, huh? I watched Yu-Gi-Oh​! The Dark Side of Dimensions a few weeks ago.

I liked it.

I also love Pom Poko and the Digimon Adventure Tri. stuff..

Drifter posted:

Just imagine that instead of the animals you profess to ...ahem, "enjoy" in american cinematics, they're teenage kids with spiky hair and the social skills of a horny wombat.

I feel like I've been summoned here by this post. Seriously, I want Clawhauser to get more screen time in the inevitable sequel.

Can we talk about the Spider-Man animated movie here when it comes?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Build-a-Boar posted:

There's also this part of the movie which is so bizarre and out of nowhere:

This is deeply unsettling to me. Seriously, the most unsettling thing I've seen in this thread so far.

I have no idea why.

I was serious with the Spider-Man animated movie question though. Sometimes the Spider-Man stuff has good animation with acrobatics and whatnot. :v: I understand if it's a no though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

porfiria posted:

Pets is kinda lovely because it's just Toy Story 1 and 2 but shittier. The basic conceit of beloved companions with secret lives is Toy Story's conceit but shittier. The conflict between the dogs is Buzz and Woody but shittier. The friends looking for Max is the subplot of Toy Story 2 but shittier. Snowball and the strays are the outcast toys but more mean spirited and lovely. At least Zootopia isn't plainly just a lovely version of something.

If anything is lovely about Zootopia, it's that people need a movie with talking animals to tell them "Hey, stop being a dick to people."

What's even worse is that there are people who didn't GET the message until some talking animals told them it...

Also, reading your post made the word" lovely" lose any and all meaning. :v: That was also kinda lovely.