Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This isn't showing until 2017 in my area. Anyone seen it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITX2U00yq8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's a thought for y'all:

if you want to have a good animation 2017, go find somewhere that's still playing Trolls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think 2016 was a pretty good year for animation, I mean what was that insanely lovely one? 2014 maybe?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The original Surf's Up is pretty good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Are bronies even still a thing?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Zootopia takes place in the same world as other Disney features, but it's after biological warfare wipes out the human race and gives animals advanced mental facilities.

And the power of one voice, one heart, one song.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

I just watched Rango again, and while the first 2 acts are great, the third act once he gets kicked out of town is absolutely amazing.

Great movie

It's a movie for people who love movies. Act 3 is a loving triumph.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ungulateman posted:

:stare: what the heck happened, pick

which x-man fan did you anger to receive such a magnificent redtext

I wrote these words in the r/relationship thread, it made sense in context. It is a beautiful redtext.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

I think I want to know that context.

A young man, wracked with guilt, was asking whether he should tell his new girlfriend that he used to masturbate to his stepmother.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tim Curry is not that great, and he cannot and does not save that piece of poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bambi II.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The one with George Carlin is not too bad. That's young Tarzan.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have argued that Trolls is superior to Moana in some ways, including thematic coherency :colbert:. Moana is still the better film, obviously.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
More than anything, I think that Trolls really sold a unique visual style and its core theme is simple but told well, without any notable gaps in logic.

The scrapbook/felt look is incredibly appealing and fun, and there's no other film that looks like it. Moana has shots that look real, but I don't really care about CGI looking real any more.

Trolls doesn't try to convince you that "consumption" can't make you happy; it tells you that there are less destructive ways to be happy that are available to everyone. In my mind, this is a clear message and an empowering one. It could have had a it more nuance where the grumpy character was concerned, but his rationale was solid even if he did need to move on. There's very little "But wait, couldn't the eagles just drop the ring into the volcano?" kind of nitpicking to be done either, though I love nitpicking!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did anyone else think they were going to tie up the main plot to Trolls by having the Bergens discover that depressed trolls taste awful or was that just my dumb brain?

I think that would have worked, but ultimately that's cheaper than "Yes, you CAN totally become happy by eating trolls, but there are better ways."

The eating trolls bit was this incredibly morbid undercurrent and I loved it. There's never any question that eating trolls makes you feel amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The cages were more a visual conceit, obviously the trolls could be held captive easily, as shown later when they are in the pot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Princess Mononoke is showing as a Fathom Event today and on the 9th in the USA. Get your tickets!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The showing was the first time I noticed some of Eboshi's guards are also women (not those who work in the ironworks, the people in blue bodysuits). As far as female representation goes, it's probably one of the strongest films I know, along with When Marnie Was There, which I adored even if not everyone else did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is small enough budget that it will do fine. There are DVD sales, merchandise sales, rights to put it for streaming online. If a film is low budget enough, it is virtually guaranteed to make money in the long run.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They showed "On Your Mark", their music video.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In this version, they flip everything and make sure there's no message, like with The Jungle Book. In this case, Dumbo learns to fly and then instead of the French copying his design for bombers, he himself becomes a bomber, and personally delivers payload after payload of firestart over the civilian neighborhoods of Dresden

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh, I completely forgot about Maleficent. To Disney's credit, it's actually a terrific film and exactly how a remake ought to be handled. Cinderella was great, too.

I'm hesitant about Beauty since the animated film isn't that great in my opinion. I saw it again after not seeing it since I was a kid and it really doesn't hold up well. And Gaston's voice...

(Though, I'm biased since I think Cocteau's film is a masterpiece)

so this is what it means to be... triggered

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The new Cinderella is my favorite live-action redo, and Maleficent was the right idea for a remake but just has tons of flaws.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

do sharks have scales

They have denticles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't really mind extraneous stuff like this, even the DTV films, which largely suck. Some people are like, oh no, it's canon now!! And I'm like, 1) I don't care and 2) I sort of don't think they are, since they're a completely different team. Like, even when it comes to the DTV films I like, such as Cinderella III, if you ask me, "in the canon of Disney's Cinderella, did the Fairy Godmother actually never help her, and she had to beat her way out of a pumpkin and ride a hellhorse through the purple night?" I would say no, she goes to a ball as a reward for being a good person and the price picks up on her quality and kindness, but that other thing did happen in the DTV.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh nooooo, the local drafthouse is showing Kaguya in February, but it's on a Wednesday and Thursday at 2, so I'd be at wooooooork.

No you won't, you are sick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For all I give Pocahontas poo poo, it has some great individual shots.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Spatula City posted:

What I get from this is that The Hunchback of Notre Dame has some of the most utterly beautiful shots I've ever seen, holy poo poo. It's been so long since I've seen it, and when I did see it, I wasn't a film fan and couldn't really apprehend how impressive the filmatic elements were.

Artistically, I think Hunchback is their top film.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Each Disney movie has its own aesthetic, something I think is woefully unappreciated by the people who claim they are aping "Disney style".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Am I loving prescient or what

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I wonder if The Emoji Movie will end with a dance party where the main characters raaaaaaaap.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaance paaaarrttyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god is it going to be villainous poop?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

Every movie starting with Antz through Trolls. It's not for sale. Just got it today as an employee 'parting gift from JK'.

Overall, I really like DreamWorks films. And I would love that collection. Only… It does contain… The movie of which I must not speak

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Sinbad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm sure one of them will turn up on ebay. They always do. Not mine though.

I will buy one I will do it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally the only Dreamworks animated film I powerfully, powerfully do not want to ever see again is Bee Movie. I don't like Shrek 3, Turbo, Madagascar 2 either but they're not that bad.

I really enjoyed Trolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loving love, love, love the art design in Trolls. I'm trying to remember that lady's job but drat she knocked it out of the park.