Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw she had Belle's Enchanted Christmas and I said "did you get this in a gift exchange or something? Why do you own this?" and she said "uh because it's a great movie :colbert: you know it has Tim Curry in it"

Long story short she thinks it's great and to me Tim Curry is the only good part and that's not saying a whole lot, the pipe organ ain't no Hexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Bambi 2, but that's more because of Patrick Stewart as his dad. Aladdin and the King of Thieves because of Robin Williams and thus this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xYGDR_eME

When Lion King 2 first came out I was actually looking forward to it, same with the Pocahontas sequel (I like Pocahontas, gently caress y'all :colbert:) and while there are things I like in Lion King 2, such as Exile and Upendi, overall it just wasn't what I expected compared to the original so it ended up leaving me wanting more. Pocahontas 2...I watched it a few times when it came out because I was a kid and didn't know better, I have not seen it since.

I feel like that for most of the DTV sequels, they're trying to get the same thing as what they had in the originals but it doesn't work. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice, but when you get Robin Williams back you at least get some of the magic of the original :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Surprisingly enough, Return to Never Land got a theatrical release as well. I had forgotten that film even existed.

I think Jungle Book 2 had a theatrical release too, I think John Goodman voiced Baloo as well...that is the extent of my knowledge of that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Verdict: Storks was awesome. The animation is fast and frantic in the same way Emperor's New Groove was, so it was a ton of fun the whole time. The ending was very sweet.

I had kind of forgotten about Storks and was interested in seeing it when it first came out...after watching it tonight I regret going to see The Magnificent Seven over this because I enjoyed Storks waaaaaaay more than I thought I would

also regarding the end my friend corrected me about the letters, since I too thought they were for general orders or something, and said "no those are people who wanted babies but never got them" which made a lot of the shots of the parents overcome with emotions all the more :gbsmith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

You'd think they'd opt to do Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty

well Maleficent already happened and apparently both Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are in the wings if Beauty and the Beast is a hit

After seeing recent stills for Beauty and the Beast I am more interested in it than I thought I would be, at least as far as costume design goes because I am in love with Gaston's red jacket :swoon:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

While this wasn't exactly a great Jungle Book story I always liked this movie, it was one of those odd gems where things like visuals and the cast take the film from being forgettable to being "hey you guys remember that Jungle Book movie where Westley was the bad guy?"

Though speaking of live action adaptations of old cartoons who remembers this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7ftwkCd2I
That was the only time I ever walked out of a movie, me and my dad went to see it and about 15 minutes in decided to leave and went to Tarzan the next screen over :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

It definitely says something that every time a new shot appeared and I knew exactly which movie it was from and what was about to happen.

It means I watch too much Disney :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I was dating a guy at the point when this and Up were in theaters. I wanted to see Up and he refused, saying he didn't like Pixar. Insisted it was Monsters Vs. Aliens or nothing. Then he made me go with him to see X-Men Origins, got really pissed when I couldn't stop laughing at it and dumped me. Then wanted to date me again.

It was a strange spring.

Interesting, when those movies came out both I and my girlfriend at the time were interested in Monsters vs. Aliens AND X-Men Origins. We were teenagers, we didn't know any better (about Origins, MvA I at least managed to watch a couple more times after) :gonk:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

starkebn posted:

that looks like the same art team as Avatar, am I right?

yep Studio Mir, that and a few prominent people from Airbender and Korra are running the show

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sounds like a problem they had in Korra as well, except instead of spinning their wheels they accelerated too quickly and the seasons didn't feel paced well. They got a handle on it by season 3 so I think there is still hope for Voltron.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sweet loving jesus CHRIST :stonk:

I don't think I'm sleeping tonight

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, if we're doing that now, then:

I like these ones actually. Esmeralda I can't really explain but Frollo is just soooooo pleased to even cop a feel. Belle is a super sperg that doesn't like people touching her poo poo and Gaston is just an overgrown child.

The Zootopia one I didn't even really notice was changed, gonna be honest

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Gaston is just such a snappy dresser...that is pretty much the only reason I am paying attention to Beauty and the Beast

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pick posted:

I like the songs in Lion King 2 better than the extra songs in the musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDGAo9SIqs

so did Matthew Broderick just not want to sing in these movies or something? Did they not like his singing voice?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

'Kay, I just got around to watching this and I just want to flip a goddamn table over this weird loving trend where the female lead is apparently a FF: Spirits Within model and can't emote because wrinkles are ugly and women have to be PREEEEETTYYYAAAUGH.
THE CARTOON IS OUTPERFORMING YOU, WOMAN. :fuckoff:

isn't that more of a direction issue than an acting issue? You know, like how even Ewan McGregor was boring as poo poo in the Star Wars prequels because Lucas is very bad at directing people?

Then again, I haven't seen any of the movies Watson has done outside of Harry Potter so I can't really judge her

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pick posted:

*and Flynn died

god drat we are never going to forget that event are we

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty alright with Disney not including the rape from their version of Sleeping Beauty.
yeah, because they went with the Perrault story, which is what the Tchaikovsky ballet was based on, and that version doesn't involve rape.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

so we're making an animated version of Million Dollar Baby?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

is he wearing a sweater?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

The opening was honestly dull because, frankly, we dont really need that information and we certainly dont need a voice over narration stating literally what we are seeing. Later, the fulm had to segue into Belles backstory which added nothing and more details on the beasts backstory which also added nothing and sort of muddled the point of Beasts character.

The undermining bit is the enchantress (was it the same one or a different one not sure) showing at the end to undo the curse makes it so that true love isnt what undoes the curse but an enchantress deciding to undo it. They may have had love before but enchantress wasnt around so doesnt count, any development of their relationship showing difficulties to achieving what real mutual love is should be ignored children unless a third party arbiter agrees its enough

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the ending. I honestly thought that everyone was going to "die" (well, turn into the objects they were imitating, same diff I suppose) and Belle would say "I love you" and then cue the transformation music. Nooooooo instead we needed to Enchantress to come in and say "hey look, someone said the love word to you and meant it, good job, you can all be human again" and then she disappears.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying in that there was a lot of superfluous fluff added in that didn't need to be there. If you are going to actually show Adam/the beast being a dick or...something at the beginning of the film then we don't need narration. You have an old woman and she turns into an enchantress, you have actual people on the screen that are acting, let THEM deliver the exposition. Of course I may just be saying this because I was actually really underwhelmed by the delivery of the narration, there's a certain je ne sais quoi (one of the few jokes I actually laughed out loud at in the film) about the original that they didn't try to recapture so it ends up falling flat. I think the only changes I liked as far as story goes is taking away the whole "Beast no know how to read :saddowns:" thing from the special addition because I think that was one of the stupidest additions, and putting in Maurice being thrown in the tower for "stealing" a rose. I always liked that detail from the fairy tale and it makes the Beast less of an rear end in a top hat when we first meet him.

Overall I thought this was ok but if I am going to be honest I think this may be the last of the live action remakes I see in the theatre since a) I don't have a lot of love for The Little Mermaid and b) Aladdin is just not going to be as good without Robin Williams. If what people are saying about Emma Watson being autotuned for some of the songs is true that makes me about as upset as the singing in La La Land, why the gently caress are we paying these people millions of dollars to then get outshined by better singers in the same movie? I mean it's not like these actors can't afford the best voice coaches in the world or anything and short of being tone deaf (which I almost wondered if Ryan Gosling was considering his lack of range and pitch) learning how to sing isn't that hard, especially considering how much loving time actors spend at the gym for super hero roles.

However saying all of that I enjoyed the retakes of all the songs and as much as I enjoyed every aspect of Gaston I did feel that Luke could've bit a bit more mmph into some of his moments, especially in the Mob Song. Also I don't know if Beast's new song is new for the movie or if I just don't remember it from the stage version but it was good, Dan sang it well and it was just a good song that I am for sure going to learn and sing every chance I can. Menken's still got :)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It bugs me when the makers dial up the misery switch in an adaptation.

so you weren't especially happy with the new subplot about Belle learning about what happened to her mom? I mean it was still nice since it added more for Belle and Beast to do together but the resolution seemed a little over the top.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, he's more "rough in the diamond"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I'd like everyone in this thread to take a moment and imagine Ryan Gosling's character in La La Land, who everyone had issue with for being really obnoxious about jazz and not the greatest singer, and replacing that with Miles Teller, who exudes a level of unlikability and smarm that is second to none in Hollywood.

Like, Ryan Gosling is charming, and replacing him with Miles Teller would have made that movie many degrees worse, regardless of whether you like it as it is. And I like Miles Teller, in the right role.

man, I can't see La La Land being as adored if that were the case, you take Gosling out and put an actor that can really ooze the snobbishness in his place and yowch. Maybe you'd still get the Oscar buzz but I dunno. And I like Miles Teller too, his casting in Whiplash made that movie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Troposphere posted:

uhhh have you seen phantom of the opera she definitely cannot

opinions like assholes and all that but Rossum actually has classical training so wouldn't have needed to autotune. And now I wonder what this movie would have been like with Gerard Butler as Gaston

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Troposphere posted:

everyone else in that movie who wasn't patrick wilson

Thaaaaaaaat was his name, drat that was bothering me all day. Now I'm picturing him as Beast, Butler as Gaston and...oh my :blush:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Is it only the US? Because I've seen posters here in Canada that say Ballerina

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they actually come up with a reason for her hair to come back? Does this series take place before or after the wedding (is that wedding short even canon anymore)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I can't even remember what cartoons I would get up early to watch since the only time I had cable was if I stayed the weekend at my grandparents place. I do know that 10am was the poo poo in 1997 because the Godzilla and MIB series were back to back on itv (before it became Global) :cool:

Say what you want about the Godzilla movie but the cartoon was actually good

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

whoa now what's trashy about Antz? I enjoyed it more than A Bug's Life

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you know, props to them keeping the overall character designs the same when moving to digital but...who watches these? It's like The Land Before Time, who the hell is watching it after *checks wikipedia* fourteen movies :psyboom:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's me, I'm the one who liked Dinosaur. I begged my parents to take me to it and I begged my university aged cousin to take me a couple weeks later. It was me who chose it as my rental for the week when it came to Blockbuster.

Why no I have not seen it since then and I'm gonna be honest, I don't want to. I want my pleasant memories of it to remain pleasant :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think removing the clothes will have the desired effect in this case

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

we can only pick 10 movies? God drat that's hard but let's see if I can narrow this down

Aladdin
Shrek
Robin Hood
The Secret of NIMH
The Land Before Time
Atlantis
Kung Fu Panda
Chicken Run
The Incredibles
Sleeping Beauty

gently caress that was hard, I probably have like a whole 10 others I could put up there :smith:

oh hell here's another 10

101 Dalmatians
The Fox and the Hound
The Prince of Egypt
The Swan Princess
An American Tail
Dumbo
A Goofy Movie
Lady and the Tramp
Beauty and the Beast
Toy Story

Any of these movies are interchangeable for me

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Toy Story 2 was the outlier, for me, that sequels always sucks and I don't mean stuff as part of trilogies and series (though this was a few years out from Harry Potter). To this day I am still of the opinion that Pixar is the only company that can make a good sequel.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You hate Aliens and Terminator 2?

when Toy Story 2 came out I hadn't seen Aliens and I hadn't seen The Terminator so I couldn't make that judgement call. However I still stand by my statement that Pixar, as a studio, is the only studio that consistently releases good sequels :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hey man 1/4 bad ones is a pretty good record in comparison to most other companies, especially animation. That and I wouldn't exactly say Cars 2 is bad, hell I remembered enjoying it more than Cars but I suppose that isn't saying much since I don't hold much of an opinion on Cars in general

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

My list is less "these are movie I think are the best" and more "I have a niece and these are the movies I'm most excited to show her"

You're most excited to show her Pinocchio?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

how much money did they throw at the cast alone? What am I saying, I'm sure they mostly said yes because it's Christian and a comedy, the paychecks probably aren't as high as I think.

Which studio brought us Storks again?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Storks was good

Storks was good, but I meant that question more because the animation style for The Star looks very familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

props for him for patriotism but that doesn't even look like something that had a commercial release