Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my friend learned this weekend that I had never seen The Lego Movie, so she sat me down to watch it.

God drat it was awesome, I take it Lego Batman is out on blu-ray now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Yep. LEGO Batman is very different but also extremely good, I actually like it better despite reviling Batman (in general, not the LEGO one).

reviling Batman? As in everything about Batman, including the Bat-family, or just singled out to Bruce Wayne

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, 5 minutes into Ducktales and we've already had both Darkwing Duck, and Tailspin refs. Nice.

Still can't understand Donald though. :sigh:

After watching King of the Hill for so many years I just think of Donald's incoherent speech like I do with Boomhauer. They both are coherent to the other characters in the show and that's a big part of the joke, I find both to be coherent enough at the right times when you absolutely need to understand what they are saying.

Though, I dunno, lots of people couldn't understand Bane because of the accent Tom Hardy was putting on mixed with whatever post-processing they were doing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

did OtGW not go over well when it came out? I ask because a bunch of my friends recommended it to me and I thought it was a pretty cool, though one of my friends had to convince me to keep watching it since I was a little put off by the disconnect between the pilot and the first episode

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

aww man it's like when Pick stopped posting in the bad webcomics thread :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Seeing Chicken Run first made watching The Great Escape an even better experience, impressively considering what a good movie it is to begin with. I imagine the reverse works too.

I wonder how many kids didn't really get that Chicken Run was an homage to until their dad or grandpa had them watch The Great Escape

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

my friend had me watch The Book of Life a few weeks ago (and then I moved across the country :smith: ) and man that was such a cool movie. Everything about the design was great and it was so cool to learn a little about culture from Central America. Del Toro always goes great work, I don't think I have ever seen a movie with him involved that has failed to wow me just based off of visuals. Story, well, they can't all be winners but usually visuals are enough to distract me from story that doesn't know my socks off

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

So go the Avatar route then? Hey it worked great when they actually were parodying anime

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I still think it would have worked better to have Harold and George be voiced by actors that are not as old as Mr. Krupp is probably supposed to be but yeah, I was pleasantly surprised also when I went to see it. Some of the villain stuff was a little rote but I liked that they tried to expand more on the lives of people outside of Harold and George.

Also got me curious to check out the series again since I think I stopped paying attention after book 5 came out like 16 or so years ago

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I realized today that Joseph and his coat of many colors adaption aka Joseph: Coat of Dreams, the follow up to Prince of Egypt wasn't a fever dream but an actual straight to video film with Prince of Egypt's level of casting and animation. Why isn't this more talked about? Is it worth watching?

don't you mean prequel :v: for some reason I remembered enjoying it more than Prince of Egypt as a kid but that was probably because my family loved Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Holy poo poo that was quite a year for DreamWorks since Road to El Dorado came out that year, then Chicken Run and then this in the fall.

Chicken Run was the best of 2000 :colbert: and I don't count ENG because it released so late

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I watched the 2011 Winnie the Pooh last night, that movie is gorgeous and really quick witted. I am honestly astonished that it is only 62 minutes long but I guess they really were going after the kids, or the higher ups just didn't give a poo poo which really sucks because it's a really good movie :smith:

I mean if I knew how to make gifs I would make several for Rabbit's hand signals when he is in military mode, one of the best visual gags of the entire movie!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

but I can't get anyone else to watch it because it's Winnie the Pooh

the gently caress? I mean before the 2011 movie the last Winnie the Pooh movie I saw was The Tigger Movie but that movie had a great deal of heart. I didn't realise Winnie the Pooh was cast off like that, sucks

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

Basically think of it like seeing a trailer for a new take on Winnie the Pooh and instead of the character you are familiar with winnie is yelling "radical" while doing sick skateboard tricks and vaping honey.

I'm not saying it would be good but I kind of want to see this just because the picture in my head is loving hilarious

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Unrelatedly, I finally got my hands on some production work on Beast

I was watching BatB on the weekend and it occurred to me that Beast fighting the wolves is Tod fighting the bear. Checks out since Glen Keane was lead for Beast and the bear in The Fox and the Hound was his first lead gig for Disney

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have faith in The Incredibles 2 so long as Brad Bird is in charge of it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

pokemon posted:

i have this mental image from my early childhood of a sett full of cartoon badgers getting asphyxiated on-screen and i don't know if it was a movie or a fever dream

It was an H2S leak, didn't it kill most of critters in that area?

Also speaking of good eco films, The Plague Dogs seems far too obscure for what it is about. Maybe it's more a product of its time but I feel that is a movie you shouldn't skip if you want to teach your kids some harsh lessons about the world.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4

Animated Spider-man trailer, looks gorgeous.

as awesome as it is to see Miles Morales get more attention I am going to be very upset if we don't get Spider-Woman (Spider-Gwen) in this. Her costume was made for this kind of animation

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

we're talking about Sony here, anything could happen

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the US they have the Annie Awards: https://annieawards.org/nominees/

The 2018 Annies will be held in a little over a week!

Edit: whooooo, Pickle Rick is nominated for Best General Audience Animated Television/Broadcast Production

today I learned what the Annies are for. Also go BoJack, that was a great episode

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Ballz posted:

If not that, the BoJack episode that is in that category is also top tier stuff. Pickle Rick is very well animated, but I don't think the episode itself is a particular standout.

the good story stuff in Pickle Rick is that it began the deconstruction and tearing down of Rick that continues for the rest of the season. Also it's kind of funny using the trailers for the season because you have no idea what "Stupid Piece of Sh*t" would be about based off of the BoJack trailer

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Never pay attention to a critic with a persona/avatar/character, especially if they do their reviews in character as them. Also never watch a movie review that is itself as long as a feature film.

come on now, the Plinkett reviews for the Star Wars Prequels were funny

well, TPM and AotC were good

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

To each his own, obviously, but I’ve never seen the appeal in Plinket or RLM for that matter. I find them
Obnoxious and dull. Just because they’re right about bad movies, doesn’t mean they’re good. But that’s just me against the entire Internet, basically.

Well I'm not actually a big fan of RLM but those two reviews I mentioned are ones that I like and occasionally like to rewatch as background noise. Whatever their opinions on the films I like watching those 2 reviews just because of the ratio of dumb poo poo to good points that are raised, and they didn't focus too heavily on "skits".

Also with The Incredibles 2 coming out has DreamWorks just abandoned some of their properties? I'm not crying for a Shrek 5 (though I thought I read somewhere that was a possibility) but are we not going to do anything else with the Kung-Fu Panda universe? No How to Train Your Dragon 3?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It made that movie worse?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I did not realise Grave of the Fireflies was so old

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

I love For the Dancing and the Dreaming, but which the rest of the movie took that tack - the it's okay for even the tough, brutal men to be honest with their feelings, instead of trying hard to push Hiccup into being a Proper Viking Leader when he's really not that kind of person (AND ASTRID IS RIGHT THERE, Let her take over)

This was something that confused the hell out of me throughout HtTYD2, why are we putting so much focus on making Hiccup the chief when everyone loves Astrid and will follow her? Considering that the first movie has Berk go from hunting dragons to loving them by the end, what is wrong with the second movie ending with Astrid becoming the new chief?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It has been 17 years, what exactly are they going to do with a movie that wouldn't have been better spent with trying to get a second season?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

why did they add a whole family to the dumbo premise?

More importantly, why did they add the family and remove Timothy, and by extension the crows?

On a more facetious note, I'll bet they're going to take out the stork too :argh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

not to mention Sleeping Beauty

How did they recover from that one, just switching to the xerox method?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

Just chiming in on Black Cauldron, the series is sort of obsessed with the transition of childhood to adulthood to the point where book 4 is basically a training montage of how on be an adult in book form. It also pissed me right off because after several books of the main character sucking because he lacks noble birth and thus access to their magic and weaponry he fulfills the ancient prophecy and gets made super king which sort of undermines why the last four books kept kicking him in the dick.

That's a very interesting read of the conclusion of the book, seeing as Taran is left at the end with only Eilonwy and Gurgi with him and she can only stay because she gave up her magic. Everyone else he has met over the series has either died in the final campaign against Arawn, or is departing because they are magic in some form. Kind of a poo poo deal since he is left with a broken country to unite and teach everyone how to live without magic.

On the topic of exquisite animation, Kung Fu Panda 2 is up there

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

did the first Shrek really have that many pop culture references? I ask because one of the things I feel always separated it from the sequels is that from Shrek 2 on the pop culture references were so built-in to the setting that the movies didn't really function without them. What would the Far Far Away be without the Hollywood Hills aesthetic? Shrek 2 was super big (wasn't it THE highest grossing animated film until Toy Story 3 or something?) and watching it recently I know it was one of the first movies that I saw that leaned suuuuuuper hard into pop culture references and watching it 13 years later it's not as easy to watch because the story can't easily be separated from all of that. 2 is still better than 3 but that's not saying a lot, I think I have only seen Shrek 3 once and it poisoned the well for a long time, I didn't see 4 until a few years after it came out because I thought it would be worse than 3. Turns out Shrek Forever After is pretty enjoyable :unsmith:

Also I always liked Shrek because the onion analogy works pretty drat well for a lot of things and says a lot about what Shrek thinks of himself, it was refreshing to have the "hero" of the story be someone so humble and relatively lackluster.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

there were definitely lots of pop culture jokes though. a Small World parody, a profession wrestling scene, a dating game reference (complete with The Pina Colada Song), and that's just the first half-hour or so

I don't feel like I've noticed those too much but then again I also watched Aladdin at least once a week for most of my childhood (and the cartoon, which doubled down on the improv pop culture stuff Robin Williams instilled in Genie) so I may just be the right kind of person to lap that poo poo up, in moderation. But still you take those references from the first 30 minutes of the movie and compare them with the first 5 minutes of Shrek 2 and we have The Little Mermaid (getting eaten by sharks), Lord of the Rings, I wanna say Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but that could've just been more demonstration of how strong Fiona was, and capped off with the Spider-Man upside down kiss.

The one thing I remember from Shrek 3 was the Paul McCartney thing at the beginning...that was the moment I thought to myself "oh, the whole movie is going to be like this isn't it? poo poo"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It had Jeff Goldblum as a...I'm not sure how to describe his character. A bad dad?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wait a minute, it has been a few years since I last saw Toy Story 2. What music video?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I remember one part in the original Beauty and the Beast that always stayed with me was how, after letting Belle go, the Beast just unleashes this howl of pain and rage and despair. It sent chills down my spine as a kid.

So I was looking forward to that moment in the remake, and we get to that part and the Beast...starts singing?

:sigh:

It's one of the few good additions imo. I mean, maybe they could have just kept it in the credits but still, of all the stupid music things Menken decided to do this one actually sort of worked.

It, and the wardrobe for Gaston, are the only positive points I have about the movie

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Korra got better when the creators realised the better episodes of TLA were the ones they had barely any involvement in and hired those people to write and direct for Korra.

Legend of Korra season 1 had a lot of good ideas that fizzled because of constraints from the network and their not being as well equipped to tell a shortened story. That and some of the characters got the shaft because they had to immediately fill a Team Avatar role from the moment they were introduced (Bolin) instead of allowing for the characters to grow and have arcs. It's kind of a George Lucas scenario, when you look at

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Ok, sure, but just so long as it's not like that dumb Teen Titans live action series, we don't need Zuko saying "gently caress the Fire Lord"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Zuko saying "gently caress the Fire Lord" is way more in character than Robin saying "gently caress Batman".

I suppose you have a point, but we already got the perfect use of that from another scarred character.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Makes you wonder what the prey perspective is.

something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ2sGMRl_X4&t=112s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

I said classic animated films

...okay, maybe Shrek counts

Shrek has a Broadway musical, I feel like it is inevitable at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I liked Antz more as a kid because the ants were modeled with 6 legs instead of 4. Actually I saw it first, didn't see A Bug's Life until...poo poo I can't remember when, I don't think I saw it in theatres. Regardless, when I did finally see it I was very confused why all the insects did not have 6 legs, besides the grasshoppers, when that was something that Antz got right.

I believe that day was when I awakened as one of those moviegoers :v: